5Likes
  • 1 Post By XHILR8N!
  • 3 Post By ML1media
  • 1 Post By oldmansan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just bought XJS V12 project

I have been needing a new project... Whilst I wait for the world to end, I figured I would start messing with the car that will make me a old man.

Lots of trials, possibly few rewards, but it is in my face right now and I just don't know how to say no...

It's a 1988 Coupe, black on black, and comes with a parts car

The Lotus is tucked away, might go visit and drive it for a few days soon. Just moving the Jaguars to house where I can work on them.

I have a few pics, but some are just wow, from when the car was found. The only pic that loads right is of the engine. The engine the devil himself must have made...

the car has 32K on the clock.

Not expecting much interest, so I won't detail much here, except perhaps highlights, ( when it starts/ runs/ drives.

I seem to still be messing with interesting cars that i likely won't sell until decrepit, so my Evora, Ultima GTR are just possible future realities. The Jaguar I can start fiddling with now. Wish me luck!
Attached Images

L O T U S

Last edited by Motard; 02-28-2019 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Pictures will only load upside down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:31 PM

Garage
As we say in the South, Bless your heart!

Seriously, these were awesome, I wish Jag still produced a coupe. People want SUVs though. Good luck with the project, looking forward to updates.
Motard likes this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:07 AM

Is it too early to start the GOFUNDME page for your psychotherapy sessions?....
[Joe Lucas claims another soul (ashamedly, have to raise my own hand...)]

m1
glb, XHILR8N! and Motard like this.

The garage moveD.
2007 CO Elise--in new hands--in STL
Toyota Tundra
Mazda Miata
1973 jet black Ford Mustang convertible...SOLD!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Never a high performance ride but they were REALLY pretty to look at. Good luck as it will test your patience. Esp seen as it is a pre3 -Ford qc car. AC will be a major headache and I mean EVERY part.

XJS will also mark its territory...from multiple leaks.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh. It is definitely a looker. I don't think I will attempt extra power at all. All I can hope for is a very mean survivor example someday over the rainbow. Pics when I have them.

I am like a kid in a candy store what with all the information found online. A very well documented motor/ machine! Yet one more reason to be pleased with living in the information age...

L O T U S
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Any pictures of the car outside and inside? Donít think Iíve seen one, but it sounds interesting.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got it running about 2 weeks ago. Lots to sort out, but that engine... is very fresh.

Excited to get some new tires, sort out the brakes and alignment. I drove it a week ago on scary old tires...

Just about every secondary system needs attention, ( windows, radio, AC, etc...) but I got a taste of what it is going to be and I am satisfied. I had to go all mad scientist for x months, ( reminded me when I replaced my head in my exige...)
Attached Images

L O T U S
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:27 PM
The Enforcer

Looks longer than a stretch limo.

San
Motard likes this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It is a vehicle of silly proportions, All engine up front, but the footwell is more cramped than the Lotus...

L O T U S
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:39 PM

If nothing else, youíll become an expert at tracing and fixing vacuum leaks after this restoration! I used to help my old boss work on his XJS, good luck.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:40 AM

Garage
I have always admired and feared these. These are quite possibly the original grand touring luxury coupe. At the time, the V12 was a pretty peppy lump, compared to things like a carbureted 302 pushrod Ford. It always seemed to me that the biggest weakness of the XJS V12 package was the transmission, which, while a very reliable GM Turbo Hydromatic 350, was also three speeds with no overdrive or lockup, which meant that the gearing was wrong no matter what you did with it, and meant that the engine very mildly tuned to allow for the large variation in operating RPMs.

I'd do something to get more gear ratios in there. A THM700R4 would seem to be at least theoretically doable, but there are probably other choices that would be even better.

And yes, everything I'd ever heard about the HVAC system was bad, too. I'll be watching your efforts with interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in