Just Pulled the Trigger on my New GT Car! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rainmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Cool Just Pulled the Trigger on my New GT Car!

So I needed a more powerful and reliable replacement for my 1988 MR2 SC that I have been using for autocross. It had to be a new inexpensive car that I wouldn't feel to guilty about thrashing at autocrosses and the occasional track day. Full disclosure: my wife considers our 2008 Elise too fragile/valuable/rare to use for these purposes. Given the cone scars on the front lip of the MR2 I can't totally disagree.

I considered a Toyota 86 as I love the styling and believe in Toyota reliability. I the end I rejected it because I didn't want another light, great handling car that was a bit light on power and torque (the Elise fits that niche well) The Z is more of a GT car that will work well on the long hauls to get to autocross/track days and should still be entertaining when I get there. The base model also represent good value IMO.

I did some searching a found that there were tons of new enthusiast edition 2017 370Z sitting on dealer lots. The ones in Vancouver seemed like they were starting to sell in February but I found a dealer in AB that still had several and seemed willing to deal.

I got a RIDICULOUS deal on a white pearl example and went for it. The enthusiast edition (BASE) model eschews a lot of the un-necessary power do-dads and as a result is considerably lighter. This means it has the same power to weight as the much more expensive 350hp Nismo albeit with smaller wheels, tires and brakes. Also no LSD. Some of the money I saved will likely go in future to wider forged wheels and grippy tires. I don't care too much about the smaller brakes but they can be upgraded as well as necessary. The lack of LSD doesn't bug me too much either.

Now I am just waiting for the crap to clear off the roads around Trail in a month or so to break it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:01 AM

Congrats! I love the 370z. Spent some considerable time in a 370z NISMO and really enjoyed it. Pics?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Don't have too many pics here are a couple from when it was at the dealership and a couple of it in my poorly lit garage.

Cheers.
Attached Images

2008 Solar Yellow Elise Touring
1988 MR2 SC (for sale)
2009 Saab 93 Aero XWD
2017 370Z Base

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:11 PM

Garage
We picked up a pearl Nismo at a Black Friday sale in 2016. It’s a bunch of sports car for the money. Not a Lotus when the chips are down but a good bit of fun. Draws attention too.
Regrettably ours is an automatic. There, I said it. Automatic. When things begin to get interesting I instinctively feel around for a clutch.

The fact that these have not been “updated” for several years works to their favor. Keeps the analog quality.

Downsides are limited luggage space and rear visibility.

Sounds like you are psyched, get out there and enjoy!

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Nismo would be great my condolences on the Auto but still a cool car. I actually like buying cars that have been out for a while - I figure the bugs have been worked out and it's easier to get a deal.
370s are still relatively rare in my area lots of Camaros/Mustangs tho. The break in period will be challenging as per usual, keeping it below 4K RPM that is. Just waiting a few more weeks before insuring there is still too much snow in the mountains and gravel in the valleys. Waiting is sweet agony being compelled to drive a god-awful F250 Super Duty. MEH

1988 MR2 SC (for sale)
2009 Saab 93 Aero XWD
2017 370Z Base
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:04 PM
The Enforcer

I have an automatic Nissan and I like it a lot. Definitely a GT car, but loads of horsepower and AWD is a decent combination. Mine is white too.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Oldman I am curious, is it a GTR? Mine 370ZED is a 6-speed. I think there a very few of what I would call "sports cars" left. Most of the bigger heavier more powerful and more comfort laden performance cars on the market today I would catagorize as GT cars. My Elise is a sports car, so is the Miata and the Toyota 86. I can't think of too many others.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 09:03 AM

Nice car! Hi from Vancouver.

2017 Evora 400 - Drop Dead RED
30,000 Km - 18,600 mi.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 10:30 AM
Less is Better

I have had a G37 for a few years now. I never get tired of the deep well of torque that this engine has on tap. The thing is FAST. Impressively stable too. I just wish Nissan had figured out a way to make the Z lighter. It's so hamstrung by mass that it never really had a chance to compete with the S2000.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:52 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaster View Post
Oldman I am curious, is it a GTR? Mine 370ZED is a 6-speed. I think there a very few of what I would call "sports cars" left. Most of the bigger heavier more powerful and more comfort laden performance cars on the market today I would catagorize as GT cars. My Elise is a sports car, so is the Miata and the Toyota 86. I can't think of too many others.
Yeah, 2017 GT-R Premium.

I was at an automotive research meeting with other performance car owners. I thought the GT-R was a GT car, but the guy next to me with a Viper said he would consider it a sports car. I think the same thing happens on this forum where some think a Lotus XYZ is an exotic and others don't.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Yeah, 2017 GT-R Premium.

I was at an automotive research meeting with other performance car owners. I thought the GT-R was a GT car, but the guy next to me with a Viper said he would consider it a sports car. I think the same thing happens on this forum where some think a Lotus XYZ is an exotic and others don't.

San
Well GT is right in the name so.. But I agree everyone has a different definition of "sports car". I base mine on what they were when they first started being a thing after WWII and through the 60's.

1988 MR2 SC (for sale)
2009 Saab 93 Aero XWD
2017 370Z Base
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Hi WestCoast, how are you liking the 400? Is it as awesome as I imagine? Did you get it from Weissach? I bought my Elise from them way back in 09.
WestCoastLotus likes this.

1988 MR2 SC (for sale)
2009 Saab 93 Aero XWD
2017 370Z Base
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:31 PM

Garage
A sports car has to bring a level of nonpracticality. Hard to get in/out. Nervous, finicky, a sense of occasion to drive. A bit rare. Can deff not carry kids or the overweight with any comfort. In fact, envied by those with kids and and all that. What could have been without all that. Have to be selective with luggage. Makes one feel good to look at her.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaster View Post
Hi WestCoast, how are you liking the 400? Is it as awesome as I imagine? Did you get it from Weissach? I bought my Elise from them way back in 09.
Well.......its not as plush as my last car MY2012 IPS, easier to get in and out of, as for power - 2600 km so I don't know. But in sport mode it shifts faster, and burbles and pops on down shifting. Yes, got it at Weissach. I do a few charity car runs and a few Weissach events(Cars and Coffee). Maybe I will see you there. The Pic in my avatar is MY2012.

2017 Evora 400 - Drop Dead RED
30,000 Km - 18,600 mi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in