• 1 Post By evomind
  • 1 Post By darkSol
  • 1 Post By Flemgunner
  • 3 Post By 4380r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Lotus Elise to Alfa 4C - a mistake?

Greetings all,

OK so I owned an Elise S2 for 8 years and loved it dearly. Drove it hard for over 20k miles and never had one problem with it over that time.

Then about 3 years ago, I went for a change. "Why?" you will ask, and my answer won't satisfy many - basically, I was looking for a change. My family and I had just moved into a house in a new state after our lives being turned upside-down from work-related happenings and I wanted a new beginning. The car was part of that reset. I also fell in love wit the Alfa Romeo 4C Spider for is extra spice of exotica and imperfections aka charm.

So, three years on now and I miss my Elise desperately. I miss its purity, the high revving N/A engine, the manual transmission, the perfectly talkative steering and, I miss the community.

You see even now, my best driving groups are Lotus-based (PALS) who let me in due to past Lotus ownership. The few Alfa runs I've gone on are more about working on old cars and cruising lazily around than hugging turns and pulling Gs. (I prefer the latter).

So that leads me on to what I've got to share in this post. Recently, I have started a website and YouTube channel dedicated to "Save the Car Now".

First and foremost, I am not selling anything - I hope the moderator will allow the sharing of my most recent videos as I believe we all share a common love- that of the pure sports car and the driving experience that comes along with it.

My website, https://savethecarnow.com/
is dedicated to cars, the love of driving, and is against the all-out take-over of autonomous, electric, and boring vehicles as governments work to allegedly "save us" from ourselves.

The YouTube channel starts with a manual-transmission lesson and a long-term review of my old trusted pick-up truck.

The three videos linked below are centered around a recent problem (not the first) I've had with the Alfa Romeo.

You will see I am quite the novice at videos, but hope you will find some entertainment in a debacle that is likely the result of Italian electronics or some other such fiend.

Starring in these videos is the Alfa-labeled battery tender, which significantly, was the same type and model used on my Elise without issue.

So I hope you will enjoy these and always remember the plural of Lotus is LOTUS

See video links below and Happy Motoring...

-Will

Kubera likes this.

'05 "Starlight" black on "Biscuit" (tan) Lotus Elise with stage II exhaust
'09 Ford F-150 Super Crew FX-4 with 6" lift and many mods
'98 Civic EX manual trans sedan
'12 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0V6
'14 Ford Focus ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:01 AM

Yes I feel sympathy for you. I had been following the long saga of the 4C since it's annoucement many years ago and had high hopes. Slowly my hopes faded as the expected ultra light weight crept up in various reports. When I learned the north american version would weight 2500 lbs I was less interested. When I found out that the fasteners have to be retightened annually or something I ruled out ever owning one. I felt like I dodged a bullet when I learned that the reliablility is abysmal by modern standards.

Great looking car and I am sure it is a blast when it's running. If not for the flaws I would definately consider one as my wife could drive it (she can't drive the Elise because she can't drive standard).

My heart goes out to you and I certainly hope you get the car back very soon.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 AM

I too miss the day where all you had to worry about was fuel, air, and spark.
I don't even care for throttle by wire.

I had a 2005 Elise when it first came out and I miss it too from time to time. Very pure car for sure. It didn't even have TBW then. Over the years I have remained in touch with a few of the contacts I met here and at Lotus events so I understand what you mean by "community."
Heck, i haven't owned an Elise since about 2007 yet I still check in on my Lotus friends from time and to see what's going on with the brand as a whole because I never know when I might be back in the market for another one.
I do love the 4C though and will probably buy one. Its on my short list anyway. If it had a manual I would already own it, but, I can enjoy a paddle shifter too.
Beautiful car.
darkSol and brgelise like this.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:36 PM
Supporting Vendor

I think the 4C is a cool car having owned one for a couple of years. Since we are splitting hairs, I believe the Elise is a more fun car - just. Paddle shift is great on track but I prefer the manual on the street. Honestly, with value as a yardstick, the Elise beats all others for fun - including the Exige.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:27 AM

Being back in the Alfa camp, I have nothing bad to say about the 4.C. My Stelvio is a dream that makes all others in its "class" look bad.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:49 AM

I will never have a non-manual-shift car as my "fun" car. I don't care if the auto is faster. It's all about engagement with the mechanical bits and there's no better way than rowing it yourself. That being said, the drop-dead gorgeous exterior of the 4C is the best test of my resolve. Fortunately, the complaints I've seen have helped...
I get the community thing. I've had several cars in the past that have been supported by truly great communities. It's almost like a funeral when I sell the car and realize I don't have any "reason" to be a part of the community anymore. That's part of the whole car experience that people driving comfortable, reliable cars will never "get."
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:00 AM

I am learning to adapt to modern levels of engagement. I got used to auto headlights and auto wipers also....wipers was tough hehe. AHB's are great. I am not in the adaptive cruise camp yet. I think they shot a bit high on price with the 4C TBH. 10K lower and they would have sold a lot more of them.....and still make them. Being able to drop into full auto when you hit unexpected traffic has its advantagesWonder what the F1 boys think about mannual trannies....how many of them pine for a manual off track???

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:54 AM

Keep both cars and you will have the last 2 light and raw vehicles ever made.
Attached Images

evomind, mattjk, Kubera and 2 others like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:41 PM

Very nice....
BTW have you ever seen the original series Star Trek show where Frank Gorshin was the guest star?

Not many will will pick up on that..
darkSol likes this.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:28 PM

Thank you guys for the likes. I wanted a 4C bad but I couldn't get rid of the Lotus. Nothing with a roof and AC compares to an Elige. Nothing!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:30 PM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" = one of the top ten best original episodes.
Attached Images

evomind likes this.

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:35 AM

When I was looking at sports cars to get it was between the Elise, 4c, and F-type. Needless to say I'm glad I went for the Elise. One of the main factors being I can actually work on the thing without an electrical engineering degree.
Kubera likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
I think the 4C is a cool car having owned one for a couple of years. Since we are splitting hairs, I believe the Elise is a more fun car - just. Paddle shift is great on track but I prefer the manual on the street. Honestly, with value as a yardstick, the Elise beats all others for fun - including the Exige.
Ok, I'll take the bait. Having owned multiples of both the Elise and Exige, my view is different.

In the driver's seat, the view out of the cabin is virtually identical between the two. The environment IN the cabin is virtually identical.

Two big differences out of the box: Elise comes with a soft top/alfresco motoring where the Exige does not. And the Exige has supposed diminished rear view. That's it. Any difference in performance is a matter of what one does to their car. The platforms are identical so mods to one can apply to the other, with the same outcomes.

The actual driving characteristics of the cars are virtually identical, when equipped similarly.

As far as open air motoring: top comes off the Exige the exact same way, and converting to soft top is the cost of a soft top, easily obtained, and the few bits needed for the conversion. And an hour of one's time. Measure thrice, cut once. Did it on both of my Exiges.

BTW, most of the soft tops that are for sale are being sold by people who've decided they never use it, sticking with their hard top, so they are unloading.

The lack of rear visibility is overstated even if you do nothing. Upgrading mirrors and/or installing an inexpensive rear view camera easily wired to be on all the time virtually eliminates THAT difference.

They are the same car, like a 60's era notchback and fastback Mustang.

If getting attention is what you seek, by itself the Elise is off the hook. Park it next to an Exige and the latter gets most of the attention.
Kubera, Varun916 and Crazy05 like this.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
Ok, I'll take the bait. Having owned multiples of both the Elise and Exige, my view is different.

In the driver's seat, the view out of the cabin is virtually identical between the two. The environment IN the cabin is virtually identical.

Two big differences out of the box: Elise comes with a soft top/alfresco motoring where the Exige does not. And the Exige has supposed diminished rear view. That's it. Any difference in performance is a matter of what one does to their car. The platforms are identical so mods to one can apply to the other, with the same outcomes.

The actual driving characteristics of the cars are virtually identical, when equipped similarly.

As far as open air motoring: top comes off the Exige the exact same way, and converting to soft top is the cost of a soft top, easily obtained, and the few bits needed for the conversion. And an hour of one's time. Measure thrice, cut once. Did it on both of my Exiges.

BTW, most of the soft tops that are for sale are being sold by people who've decided they never use it, sticking with their hard top, so they are unloading.

The lack of rear visibility is overstated even if you do nothing. Upgrading mirrors and/or installing an inexpensive rear view camera easily wired to be on all the time virtually eliminates THAT difference.

They are the same car, like a 60's era notchback and fastback Mustang.

If getting attention is what you seek, by itself the Elise is off the hook. Park it next to an Exige and the latter gets most of the attention.
I think the extra aero gives the Exige more excitement and drama (and performance). I would love to get an Exige one day because I love the fact that it is the more "hardcore" track focused version of our Elise (obviously why so many swap for Exiges). On the flip side, I like the look of Elise with the top off versus the Exige. When I drive, I get more excitment when taking the roof off. So even though I want the Exige for the extra kit/drama/performance, I sometimes wonder if it's even necessary at all.
This why I want to add an exige wing, splitter, etc (although it will never look as cool as the Exige, IMO)... but I havent built up the courage to drill into my Elise yet. Plus If I have to sell for job reasons I don't want to hurt the value more.
At the end of the day I think to myself, "Just get out and drive your Elise and be happy" lol

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
As far as open air motoring: top comes off the Exige the exact same way, and converting to soft top is the cost of a soft top, easily obtained,
Where are soft tops "easily" obtained?
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERIB View Post
Where are soft tops "easily" obtained?
They show up for sale around here about once every month or two. There was a touring pack one for sale last month. Every Elise (the most plentiful modern Lotus) came with a soft top, and they're seldom damaged when the car is wrecked, so they show up in the used market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in