My new Alfa 4C, a previous Elise owner's (long) review - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:11 AM

Interesting timing for this thread to pop back up. I owned my Elise for 5 years, did multiple 8+ hour car trips, and recently sold my Elise for a 4C. Iíd been reading about the Alfa since it was first offered in the US, read every review I could find, etc... Honestly it was the lack of a manual transmission that held me back for so long. When I finally saw one in the flesh I coulnít stop thinking about the car (much better looking in person). Anyways I decided that a test drive would give me my answer one way or another, and found that the transmission was a non-issue for me. I also feel that the 4C is better put together and feels like a more modern interpretation of what the Elise started. Not a knock against the Elise, still love that car. Havenít read about many reliability concerns with the 4C, for those interested thereís a great community for the Alfa at https://www.4c-forums.com/ .

Everyone likely has their own opinions. Just thought Iíd throw out my experiences.

And yes, the original poster still has his Alfa.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 07:38 AM

I am also a 4C owner, and a member of the forum above. I am a die hard gearshift dinosaur (learned to drive on a three on a tree, yes I'm old) and my 400 is a gearshift, but I have come to realize that some cars just work better with other transmissions. I had a 430 gearshift car and now my current 430 is a F1, I like the F1 better in that car, I had 3 360's liked the manual better in that car. My 911 is a manual, my girlfriend 718 Cayman S is a PDK, I don't like PDK in any car. My 4C is not stock, ECU, Transmission flash tune, Airbox, new hoses clamps etc. My car came with the 18/17 wheel combo (the larger wheels do not work as well), and I have sprint booster V3, I am very sensitive to drive by wire hesitation. After 467 cars I have never owned anything quite like the 4C, and I doubt we will ever see another car like it again.
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 07:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post
I am also a 4C owner, and a member of the forum above. I am a die hard gearshift dinosaur (learned to drive on a three on a tree, yes I'm old) and my 400 is a gearshift, but I have come to realize that some cars just work better with other transmissions. I had a 430 gearshift car and now my current 430 is a F1, I like the F1 better in that car, I had 3 360's liked the manual better in that car. My 911 is a manual, my girlfriend 718 Cayman S is a PDK, I don't like PDK in any car. My 4C is not stock, ECU, Transmission flash tune, Airbox, new hoses clamps etc. My car came with the 18/17 wheel combo (the larger wheels do not work as well), and I have sprint booster V3, I am very sensitive to drive by wire hesitation. After 467 cars I have never owned anything quite like the 4C, and I doubt we will ever see another car like it again.
You've owned 467 cars??? WOW!!!

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue

post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarov View Post
You've owned 467 cars??? WOW!!!
Do Matchbox count?
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
467 WOW!

I've only owned two. A corolla for 21 years and my Elise for 9 years. But I have rented a number of sports cars.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:05 AM

Yes, to some it is a sickness (I own 178 watches, over 200 pairs of shoes, and help many charities every month), to others it is just someone who never grew up and now has a really big allowance. A long story that has little to do with cars, but more about how one moment can change the direction of your life. Consider in my early 20's I was homeless begging for food and everything I owned I fit in a sack. Now I am eyeing #468 (AMG GT). Taking the 4C out today, it has been about a week since I've driven it.
alphaboy123P and ehagerty like this.
post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 04:11 AM

Last April I sold my Elise to get a 4C. Ordered just the way I wanted it and 7 mos. later it arrived. I agree with the reviews and mods done to various 4C. The only thing I've done so far is wheel spacers. Got the from Madness. 16m frt & 25m rr. Cars looks great this way. They must be removed if any warranty work is needed. They will void it if they see them. Took me 3 dealers to get a test drive, very odd. Great car, auto mode is good but love both Dynamic and Race mode more. Really fast. Shinoo help me supercharge my Elise w/265 Katana. Have to admit I missed my Lotus. First time since '79 been w/o a Lotus. My wife saw my Lotus Derangement Syndrome and surprised me with an '07 Exige for my B'day. I've trained her well. Really like the Exige better than the 4C. I tell people I found the 4C too comfortable. They don't understand. Exige needs more power, thats coming soon. I'm just a Lotus addict....
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondoRobert View Post
. My wife saw my Lotus Derangement Syndrome and surprised me with an '07 Exige for my B'day.
She’s a keeper
post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:43 AM
los

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz View Post
It has paddle shifters,....
nice try. lol
Liftnot2 likes this.
post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes, to some it is a sickness (I own 178 watches, over 200 pairs of shoes, and help many charities every month), to others it is just someone who never grew up and now has a really big allowance. A long story that has little to do with cars, but more about how one moment can change the direction of your life. Consider in my early 20's I was homeless begging for food and everything I owned I fit in a sack. Now I am eyeing #468 (AMG GT). Taking the 4C out today, it has been about a week since I've driven it.
Wow, would love to hear more of your story someday! Sounds inspirational. PM me if you ever want to share it either privately or on here.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #51 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:33 PM

I owned an '05 Elise and an '11 Elise, many cars since then......the 4C I picked up a few weeks ago does remind me of the Lotus. I never thought I would own a car that didn't have three pedals but the DCT in the 4C is well matched to the engine. Xpel appointment this week so I look forward to putting some more miles on the 4C so I can get more seat time and provide more feedback....so far, so good

http://billswebspace.com/4c6.JPG

Bill
'11 Lotus Elise (Traded) , '05 Lotus Elise (Traded)

www.billswebspace.com/lotus

www.syntheticfirst.com
post #52 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:36 AM
glb

lt1_fd3s likes this.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #53 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:22 PM

How does the 4C compare with the Elise for extracting one's self? I really love my Elise but recently mangled my right shoulder a bit and have found getting OUT of the car even more difficult and somewhat painful.

If the shoulder doesn't improve over the winter, I might have to switch to something more.... (GASP)... comfortable..
post #54 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 02:02 PM
glb

try moving the seat all the way back?

Top can be rolled to center from inside the car.

In a garage, hang a piece of wood or ? you can grab onto.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

post #55 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Liftnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgreenbird View Post
How does the 4C compare with the Elise for extracting one's self? I really love my Elise but recently mangled my right shoulder a bit and have found getting OUT of the car even more difficult and somewhat painful.

If the shoulder doesn't improve over the winter, I might have to switch to something more.... (GASP)... comfortable..
In&Out way easier than the Elise. You don't have to contort at all. Test drove thru canyon roads in semi-anger for ~2hrs. from Turo with the Akrapovic exhaust which sounded a lot better than oem flat, loud fart. Sexy stiff tub, great brakes, all useful power, AC works....etc. I would buy it just for the tub alone but the DCT/paddle shifting is just too "no brainer/effortless" for me. I need to try the Quaife sequential to have more drama.
post #56 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:59 PM
glb

I don't think the Alfa tub is any lighter than Elise's. I wouldn't consider any tub in purchase plans, but that's me.

post #57 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 12:16 PM
Liftnot

everyone is different. I would definitely consider the tub material for my next purchase. I like to own a carbon tub sports car b 4 I kick the bucket. Not sure what the bare wt. of the 4C tub is(235lb+ w/ all the trimming)my NSX is 260lb+ bare ....for the Elise, I think its ~150lb. Being playing with steel chassis(tube or unibody) since high school then alum came....so now needs to graduate to carbon not just cuz they are sexy. Most people won't care nor appreciate and thats ok.

the 4C tub was stiff and quiet and very responsive. too bad the rear is not a wishbone but at that price and all useful power, it's hard to beat. I wish it wt. close to the Elise.

Buying bikes are the same thing, Reynolds/Columbus tubing was hot back in college....then alum came along and pound the hell out of me.....Ahhh, now carbon saves the day.
Atom = steel, Mono = steel, Catfish = steel....many top kits cars are = steel but SLC is alum. = winning in my book!
post #58 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
try moving the seat all the way back?

Top can be rolled to center from inside the car.

In a garage, hang a piece of wood or ? you can grab onto.
good suggestions - thanks

but I always move the seat as far back as it goes when getting out (and then re-adjust after getting back in).... and I have the hard top on for 90% of the driving season. I could hang something from my garage ceiling when parking at home... but obviously that only helps at home.

My method of extraction is to put seat back, open door, swing left leg out, then with left hand on door sill and right hand on edge of windshield (about 3/4 the way up), push/pull with arms and a bit of right leg pressure to hoist my body into a standing position and then step out with right leg. It does rely on arm strength a fair bit. Maybe there's another method of getting out that doesn't use as much arm? If there's a thread on this topic, please direct me.

In the mean time, I'll keep the 4C on my list of possible alternatives, should the need arise.
post #59 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liftnot2 View Post
In&Out way easier than the Elise. You don't have to contort at all.
Good to know... thanks
post #60 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:31 AM

Really loving my Alfa 4c! Optiins include sports exhaust and track package.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in