New Corvette: 495hp mid-engine, Under $60k - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

New Corvette: 495hp mid-engine, Under $60k

I couldn't find the old new corvette thread, so I decided to make one with the important details.

The car is about all I expected specification-wise, but the real story here is the pricing. The Z08 packages are likely going to be running with the 570S/650S and Huracan at remarkable prices. I can see this taking quite a good number of potential Evora buyers.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...-corvette.html

Quote:

The fastest 0-60 time of any entry Corvette ever — under three seconds when equipped with Z51 Performance Package.

The 2020 Stingray’s heart is Chevy’s next-generation 6.2L Small Block V-8 LT2 engine, the only naturally aspirated V-8 in the segment. It will produce 495 horsepower (369 kW) and 470 lb-ft (637 Nm) of torque when equipped with performance exhaust — the most horsepower and torque for any entry Corvette.

The powertrain’s low position enables a low center of gravity for optimal handling. Perhaps the biggest update is found in the lubrication and ventilation system. For the first time ever, the base Stingray will use an engine-mounted dry sump oil system and three scavenge pumps for improved track performance.

During serious track driving, oil volume remains high to avoid diminished performance. The new Stingray’s lateral capability is greatly improved, so the LT2’s dry sump lubrication system had to be redesigned to provide exceptional engine performance even at lateral acceleration levels exceeding 1G in all directions.

The entry 2020 Stingray continues that tradition as a no-compromise value proposition, as it will start under $60,000.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:23 AM
The Enforcer

No mention of weight I can find for the C8. The base C8 will sprint to 60mph as quickly as the ZR1. That is quite an achievement. It may handle better as well. A Z51 C8 will probably run about $70K, which is still a bargain given the capabilities.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #3 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:01 AM

It may do to current sports cars what the NSX did in the 90's. Redefine a new value and performance point. Almost 3x for an F-car? 2x for a P-car? Although people will argue no one cross shops Corvette and European brands, I don't think that is true. It certainly send a mighty shot across the bow of Lotus.

Unfortunately, no stick as of now, so I'll stay on the sidelines. We'll see what happense with future iterations.

post #4 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:49 AM

Performance vs value yes but have you guys seen it?

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but hot mess is what comes to mind when I see it. It's like the designer for each compartment was put in a different room and told to design his bit away from the others and then they just put the bits togeher.

Saying that I hated the C7 when it came out but it grew on me - then again I think the one that grew on me was the ZO6/GrandSport body upgrades rather than the car itself as I still see ones that look weird.

The performance for the dollar may there but I can't see myself ever getting over those looks and for me that makes it a fail.

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #5 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
No mention of weight I can find for the C8. The base C8 will sprint to 60mph as quickly as the ZR1. That is quite an achievement. It may handle better as well. A Z51 C8 will probably run about $70K, which is still a bargain given the capabilities.

San

https://jalopnik.com/2020-chevrolet-...-kn-1836485708

Quote:
he C8 Corvette will be very light, according to Chevrolet. Its chassis is built from mixed-materials and uses die-cast aluminum components. The entry-level model will weigh 3,366 pounds.
According to R&T, the Evora 400 is 3100lb, so a C8 is 266lb heavier but has a 95hp advantage. A 718 Cayman S is 3054lb with the PDK, though it sits at 365hp and starts at $70k.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
post #6 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:06 AM

This car is going to be absolutely everywhere. The performance for $$ is off the charts. I think it actually looks pretty good but would agree the rear end is not great. I can't imagine trying to justify buying any other sports car at or above this price point now though. It's got a massive cargo capacity for this type of car and it will just demolish anything else around it. The standard true dry sump oiling system will hopefully finally fix the oil starvation issues the LS/LT engines have been plagued with for decades. I would be lying if I said I wasn't already thinking about when the right time might be to trade in my Evora 400 for one of these if there are no major issues with the first couple years of production.
post #7 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:40 AM
Race & Pamper

I would buy it if it ever comes with a manual transmission...
post #8 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:22 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
The quoted 3366 lbs. is DRY weight. Expect another 145 lbs. once you include gas (18.5 gals?) + oil + coolant... I'm guessing 3511 lbs. "curb"

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #9 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:25 AM

Aesthetically it's a bit of a dog's breakfast as the brits say. Performance wise it seems like a smoking deal though. The tight wad in me likes the bang-for-buck quotient if I could just past the looks of it. Maybe it will grow on me.
post #10 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:27 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
This car is going to be absolutely everywhere. The performance for $$ is off the charts. I think it actually looks pretty good but would agree the rear end is not great. I can't imagine trying to justify buying any other sports car at or above this price point now though. It's got a massive cargo capacity for this type of car and it will just demolish anything else around it. The standard true dry sump oiling system will hopefully finally fix the oil starvation issues the LS/LT engines have been plagued with for decades. I would be lying if I said I wasn't already thinking about when the right time might be to trade in my Evora 400 for one of these if there are no major issues with the first couple years of production.
For about 30 minutes last night I was actually considering getting one, especially after seeing the practicality/performance/technology for the price... BUT then I thought that in 18 months you'll be seeing one on EVERY street corner.

I can go a few months without seeing another Lotus on the road here but I see Corvettes and even McLarens almost every single day now...

Style wise... that squashed CamaroButt (tm) in the rear, the useless rear stingray emblem and that weirdly angled black boomerang side intake trim piece... hmmm.
javistor likes this.

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #11 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:39 AM
Elise Guru

I watched the reveal. A few interesting points:

- Standard dry sump allows the crank centerline to be 1" lower in the C8 vs C7.
- Different gear ratios between Standard and Z51. Not sure if that means a final drive change or gear ratio change. They mentioned low 1st gear but tight ratio 2-6 for track work. The sub 3 sec 0-60 time is for the Z51.
- Goodly sized Frunk that will hold a roll-aboard bag and laptop bag. Rear trunk will hold the corvette required 2 golf bags.
- Keeping the center spine tunnel allows lower door sills than standard mid-engine car.
- GPS configured nose-raise system is awesome. Can lift nose 40mm in 3 seconds up to 24mph. Just punch in your usual haunts and it will auto-lift on approach.
- 2 Fully configurable performance modes so you can make your own "track" and "cruise" modes.
- Transverse leafs are gone. Full coil-over + A-Arm(finally)
- 3 different specs of seats with full competition seats featuring deeper buckets and anti-rub fabric on wear points.

Here are a couple of conspiracy theories on gearing:
1. The stingray has a short 1st which kills the 0-60 with a gear shift but makes it easier to drive on the street.
2. Thus the Z51 has a 1st that is tall enough to do the 0-62 run in 1 gear ala C6z and C7.
3. Alternatively, as the Z51 has the e-diff, the e-diff and the shorter Final drive are paired together, rest of the cogs the same.
titaniumdave likes this.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #12 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:40 AM

IDK... one of my buds has a C7. It's cool, but it doesn't "feel" like a sports car. More like half sports car, half muscle car. The chassis still feels a bit crude on rough roads, compared to the Lotus. At that price though, they will likely sell all of them.
post #13 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:53 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
https://jalopnik.com/2020-chevrolet-...-kn-1836485708

According to R&T, the Evora 400 is 3100lb, so a C8 is 266lb heavier but has a 95hp advantage. A 718 Cayman S is 3054lb with the PDK, though it sits at 365hp and starts at $70k.
The quoted 3366 by Chevy is dry weight. The Evora and Cayman are quoted with fluids. Fluids typically weigh about 150-200 pounds or so.
post #14 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:28 AM

Well I was way off. I thought for sure they were going to make Corvette into more of a make than model and start to have multiple models like both a front and rear engine version. I thought for sure the rear engine version would be over $100k.

This for sure throws a wrench in everything. I have a feeling the C8 is going to hurt the value of a lot of cars. Which could be good and bad. Bad for those of us who own something like an Evora, but may also bring higher end used cars values down as well making them a bit more attainable.

It looks better than I thought, rear kind of sucks, but have to give it up to them.

It is a bit of a downer that the C8 will essentially kill the mystique of the rear/mid-engine car. Guess its time for the other companies to up their game. Living in Michigan I am prepared to see this every time I turn the corner.
post #15 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 AM

I have been seriously looking at the Evora 400 for the past year. I have had a few setbacks working with the Lotus dealer network. (A Rep. from Lotus can attest to that!)
I have held off purchasing the Evora 400 looking for the release of the C8. I think I am now going to take a hard look at the C8 based on performance, price and the fact that I don't have to deal with a very limited dealer network for service.

I agree with Jasonious this car could redefine value and performance for the industry.

As a potential buyer of a Evora 400, I think the price point for the car has just changed for me.

I guess time will tell how this all shakes out for Lotus and the other makers.
lt1_fd3s likes this.
post #16 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:16 AM
Elise Guru

A couple of other notes:

After freeze-framing the last part of the reveal video, it looks like 77-78mph 2nd gear. Perfect for the track, a bit tall for autox. Probably would rather have 72-74mph. Curious to see how the gearing is different Base vs z51.

Anyone else think that that Frunk would be a good place to put a battery pack and motor????

For everyone looking at it being sub-$60k. That will be base 1LT with no z51 and no options. For me the z51 is a must.

Based on 2019 prices:

Base Corvette is $56,995 w/ 7speed 1LT, 2LT is $4500 more, 3LT is $9750 more than 1LT
Z51 is a $5,000 option.
Current Competition seats are $2,000 option.

2020 C8 will be $59,995 (no upcharge for automatic!) :P

Looks like only things missing between 1LT and 2LT(that I care about) are: Data Recorder, Heated/Cooled seats and a few other bibs and bobs. 3LT looks to strictly be interior niceties like contrasting stitching, better leather upgraded to GT2 seats(previous comp seats)

So for a 1LT with Z51 expect it to be at least $64,995 and 2LT + Z51 to be $69,500+ All-singing all dancing High $70s.
titaniumdave likes this.

Winning Suspension
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #17 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:20 AM
A1 Automotive & Smog

MEANWHILE: Lotus also announced $2.2 million dollars sport car electric!
lt1_fd3s likes this.
post #18 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harix View Post
MEANWHILE: Lotus also announced $2.2 million dollars sport car electric!
...don't forget, only 130 units of the Evija...

WNC Tour Guide - WNC Drives (click me!)
'93 Vintage Red RX-7 - NA 20B
'06 Chili Red Exige - RIP 2017.12.01
'06 Ardent Red Exige Katana2 - try this again
post #19 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:47 AM

A $2.2 million dollar car is going to be a big seller!

Can see the average Lotus owner purchasing one of them?

They may as well try to sell you a spaceship!
evomind likes this.
post #20 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:49 AM
Elise Guru

I think this just shows that it took 15+ years for good engineers to get through to management..... Good vid tho...

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in