New Corvette: 495hp mid-engine, Under $60k - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:21 PM
Back to the Future, again

Went by my local dealer today and they'll have one in 2 weeks for show. I'll definitely stop by to look. But I think I'll wait until the initial fervor dies down to see if it's worth buying or wait longer for them to hit the used market.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:24 PM
boxerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at when you say the markups are an example of the manufacturers missing an opportunity. Do you mean the opportunity to sell a high-spec car at a much higher price? Or do you mean they priced the car too low?

I feel like I should push back on your assertion that you only ever see markups on performance cars. I would argue that your perception is perhaps misled by the fact that performance cars are often halo vehicles that 1. get lots of press (and therefore sales attention) and 2. aren't often built in mass market quantities. As a result, very-early cars are going to have very high price adjustments attached to them (due to businesses optimizing profits under supply and demand) because enough people with money are willing to pay to be the proverbial first kid on the block, and you're much more likely to hear about it because of the existing hype.

Then I'd add a prime counter-example: when it debuted, the PT Cruiser (now widely panned on the internet as being a truly terrible car) saw similar dealer markups (percentage-wise) as you're likely to see with the C8 (on average, sure there's going to be dealers trying to sell their very first unit for like $200k) - it wasn't unheard of to find out someone paid $5k over MSRP to get one. I'm also under the impression that the latest-generation Lincoln Navigator land whale also had dealer markups because of limited supply. The Prowler also saw pretty big markups, despite not being nearly as fast as its (very arguable) good looks might suggest.

I couldn't agree with you more that the great majority of sports cars are sold based on the promise of performance even though their owners may never approach those limits. I'd add the argument that some sports cars (especially the exotic variety) are Veblen goods - their desirability is (in part) due to their high price. The Veyron you mentioned is a prime example.

Regarding the small number of Vettes at trackdays; I think thats why the "waxer" sterotype exists.
Im saying that big premiums(past first year gotta have it crowd) means the manufacturers are not producing sufficient quantity and or playing short term cynical(stupid rich people) marketing games. That doesent mean they should overproduce but ferrari for years way underproduced creating their own premiums and long term brand erosion probelms. They did make lots of money on expesive worthless options though.
Now as some argue that shortage built brand desireability, but it was double edged sword and created long term brand erosion by alienating a core customer base, and created space for serious competition.. Maclren for one could never have gotten where they are if not for so many pissed off ferrari enthusiast drivers. Additionaly catering to the poseir crowd meant the product lost its very viceral nature in the quest to become useable to the lawyers wife.

Once you start marketing exclusivelky to the "collector/poseur" crowd as ferrari did, you alienate a key core customer base. yes theyll buy used that is untill there is an alternative. real driver care very little for "brand" other than some brands consistently make great cars. Ferrai today makes some really cool stuff, but mostly its handbags for men, with negative stigma.

I'll take myself as an example. I already owned a ferrari(still own it), wanted to buy a 430 new, couldnt even get on the list without playing dealer games, buying what I didnt want etc.
later on I tried a 458 because it looked so great and only had a 18mos wait list which was ok, but their product by then was bland to drive most of the time on road and not really a track machine so of little interest, but I was a buyer for a speciale which you couldnt get unless you were figuratively prepared to drop on your knees and suck ...

It was the same experience at porche for me, twice I had a deposit on a 997 Gt3 and twice after 6 months they said sold out.

I'll bet in every case those cars I wanted sold to poseurs who squireled them away as "investments" or to drive to cars and coffee. So ferrari and porche lost a current and future customer, pretty much for life. they also lost an enthusiast customer who would really use the car therby growing the durable enthisiast base.

Today the mood at those companies is different, sales are important to them not least because they created their own competition. Maclren and Lanbo both have sales ferrari might have had, and if the me vette is really good it will have porche sales,

Now porche has the religion, after the 911R they decided to actualy make some more cars their core customers want to buy and in enough quantity to satisfy demand, as they said theyre not a hedge fund. Still for me I would either buy a Gt3 Rs which you cant get or a regualr Gt3 with stick which you cant get either. Inetrestingly a GT2 was 300 over list but I hear theyre selling really low miles for list or below. So I think maybe the whole new car instant collectable rpemium BS is comiing to an end, The invisible hand rules.

PT cruisers sold on looks for 1 year but otherwise were a bad car and didnt sustain prices.

Whats interesting is were told no one wants a stick, yet Gt4 sales doubled cayman sales, the Honda R still has premiums and theyre stick.

I just think sometime manufactuers forget there are real enthusiasts out there who like to drive, and that they can and will buy a viceral car if ts good.

And for me the journey has been great in terms of its conclusion I have two Lotus, one for the road and one for track. Whenever I drive another car it just seems so lacking in comparison. I hardley ever use my m3 and my BBi gets the ocasional drive just because. Mostly on road daily I drive a truck, and for weekenbds its pretty much lotus. But then lotus was the last real sportscar manufacturer left.

Frankly I cant see paying all that extra $$$ for premium brand when off the rack cars are argualbly better these days,.

The vette will do well, hopefully they will make a light version for those of us who really like to drive, as well as the 1000 hp version for those who love paper stats.

The problem with vettes at trackdays is partly owner profile, but also theyre GM cars, so they really dont work out the box on track, you have to change a few bits you shoudlnt have to like brake lines, newer fast vettes like the z06 are aslo too heavy, and all of them are twichy at the limit because theyre flexible. On the other hand you can buy a used C6 z06 for 50k put 20k into and have giant slayer so the potential is there, but then thres always cayman which works out the box, as does many a lotus so why bother with a heavy not very precise vette.

Maybe the me car changes this, but according to chevy its only 10% stiffer and its heavier still. Hopefully later versions will have the goods because Ill bet the vette development team know what thyre doing and can do it if allowed to..

Still for 75K today given the choice I'd buy a renault alpine, maybe I'm just warped, but how you go fast is just as important as how fast you go. Nearly every manufacturer has forgotten that, I hope Geely lotus does not.

In fact i hope chevy and lotus use a Gt3 as a template, a really viceral fast road car that also works on track, because its stiff tubbed, has good suspension steering and brakes with a really nice motor. Ferrai invented that street track template with the 250swb, lotus sort of did it with the elise(if you dont mind the crude) porche has come close with the Gt3(for a price and ass engine) and now its time for someone else to do it better.
post #83 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:27 PM
Back to the Future, again

The 430GT or 410 Sport fills that niche.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/

post #84 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:51 PM
The Enforcer

A couple of things I'll address.

Weight. There isn't going to be any super lightweight versions IMHO. Corvettes generally weigh somewhere in the same ballpark. The amount of horsepower, handling and braking distinguish the different models. Add traction for the C8. There are places to save weight, but they're the typical areas for most any car, even a Lotus Elige. Battery, wheels/tires, seats and some carbon items.

Availability. GM is going to make as many C8s as they can sell, and then they're going to make more. They'll strike while the iron is hot, and it's very hot. People that have never even considered a Corvette are now contemplating a C8. Like it or not, there will be a lot of them around. I for one think competition is always good.

Exclusiveness. A Lotus will still be exclusive as you don't see many of them around. That won't change.

Performance and handling. The C8 will have better power-to-weight numbers than anything near it pricewise, something Lotus owners have always touted. 0-60 in 2.8 seconds is quick. Corvettes have pulled over a G from the factory for a long time. The C8 will likely be even better. It has a lower center of gravity now. A dry sump on the base model is also a big step, let alone three pickup points.

I will try to wait until the bugs are worked out. I just turned 3K miles on my GT-R, so I'm not in any hurry. For less than $3K I can add 110-219hp and 140-183tq. I won't be able to resist that.

I had a C6 and C7. I honestly only had one issue on either, the power seat switch on the C6 was replaced under warranty. I had the C6 for 8 years and the C7 for a year. I had the Z51 package on the C7 and a C8 with the Z51 package would likely be enough for me, but I'll wait to see what the Z06 model brings. The ZR1 model will likely be $150K or more, and will likely slay a few exotic cars, but time will tell.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #85 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:08 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
I really like this thread too. It's a pleasure to hang with smart people who know more than I do.

I bought my 400 over a '17 C7 GS. I thought the GS, especially at the aggressive price was the "safest" car I was looking at regarding ownership experience, a major point for me. The Lotus scared me but I just loved driving it and the steering made me forgive the missing things just as we always say. It was my idea of a great feeling sporting street car and although it pains me to admit it, the exclusivity/uniqueness of it appealed over the more usual stuff.

Actually, I started out looking for a "Porche." (Terrific typo BTW). But the GT4 was no longer available new and used prices seemed stupid. That soured me on a Cayman S. A 911 the way I'd want it put me over budget. So from that point of view, a discounted 400 looked pretty good to me. If it had an MSRP of say $82K, sort of like a proper spec Cayman S, it would have been.....for me....a no brainer. I was uncertain and unsure at list but while I was thinking about it the 400 prices started coming down. That was really what I kept seeing myself in so that made it easy. For a modest premium I got what I wanted. Although what I wanted wasn't what everybody else wanted apparently. A C8 Grand Sport could have been the spoiler since exclusivity is only worth so much to me. (It's sort of a guilty pleasure).

Meanwhile the C8 is everywhere, even on the sailing forum I hang on. And the Ducati forum. Etc. This car has been a terribly kept thus highly anticipated secret for years. One way or another, it's an event for enthusiasts. The Evija should only make such a splash but it can't quite do that.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #86 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:36 AM
boxerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
A couple of things I'll address.

Weight. There isn't going to be any super lightweight versions IMHO. Corvettes generally weigh somewhere in the same ballpark. The amount of horsepower, handling and braking distinguish the different models. Add traction for the C8. There are places to save weight, but they're the typical areas for most any car, even a Lotus Elige. Battery, wheels/tires, seats and some carbon items.

Availability. GM is going to make as many C8s as they can sell, and then they're going to make more. They'll strike while the iron is hot, and it's very hot. People that have never even considered a Corvette are now contemplating a C8. Like it or not, there will be a lot of them around. I for one think competition is always good.

Exclusiveness. A Lotus will still be exclusive as you don't see many of them around. That won't change.

Performance and handling. The C8 will have better power-to-weight numbers than anything near it pricewise, something Lotus owners have always touted. 0-60 in 2.8 seconds is quick. Corvettes have pulled over a G from the factory for a long time. The C8 will likely be even better. It has a lower center of gravity now. A dry sump on the base model is also a big step, let alone three pickup points.

I will try to wait until the bugs are worked out. I just turned 3K miles on my GT-R, so I'm not in any hurry. For less than $3K I can add 110-219hp and 140-183tq. I won't be able to resist that.

I had a C6 and C7. I honestly only had one issue on either, the power seat switch on the C6 was replaced under warranty. I had the C6 for 8 years and the C7 for a year. I had the Z51 package on the C7 and a C8 with the Z51 package would likely be enough for me, but I'll wait to see what the Z06 model brings. The ZR1 model will likely be $150K or more, and will likely slay a few exotic cars, but time will tell.

San
Well written.

IMO if you go to the track, 3500-3600lbs is too heavy. Lotus best bet going forwards is to offer something lighter and protect their niche. Ie sub 3000lbs 400-500hp. To me Lotus is a cost effective more rational Maclren.

Once you go over 3500lbs and 500hp, the vette is just going to be too hard to beat in the +-100k category, just as the evora found the 911 too hard to beat.
post #87 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:03 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
Great thread! I really like the new C8. The fact that it is a targa and can store the top insitu is great. What do I see? Many wrecked C8 Corvettes! now that the engine is moved the current C7 drivers must adapt to the weight differential. I foresee many spins due to the change in physics dynamics. Over a hill lift throttle and gone! I do think that the quality of the GM products are really good. My $.02 Tommy
I think this might actually be the opposite. This is pure speculation, but most of the wreck videos I have seen is on-power oversteer. This should be helped by the mid-engine. As far as corner entry oversteer from mid-engine, the stability control nannies will probably save many people's bacon on this.... We'll see.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #88 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:28 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
You beat me to it. Anyone who goes to a PCA track day knows that there are an amazing number of GT3s and RSs present. There's nothing rare about a GT3.
That is like going to the Zoo and declaring that lions are common.
me73, lotusquacious and Coolname1 like this.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #89 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:35 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerman View Post
Its not a binary choice between either a trackday car and a bloaty luxury GT.

The beauty of porche is how far they stretch one platform, from the heavy luxury turbo to the relatively light and lively Gt3 and evrything in between, thats what make 911 sales sustainable and workable.

In the 2ks track junkies is what gives your sportscar cred, you dont need to sell more than 1-2k per year.
I think ford has been doing just fine with the mustang Gt350. Its a solid market.

BMW brand was built off the 2002, they were drivers cArs and it caught on with everyone else as "better". Since then they spent decades blanding their prodcut and its become just another lease car, one misstep away from nothing. Same thing happened at honda who were about to be lost in sea of korean and chinese mee too sedans. Now honda is getting some mojo back and sees both a buisness and marketing case for the civic type R.
One objection, the 2002 was not the pinnacle of the BMW driving machine, the '80's brought the 323i and later E30 M3 but I agree its been decades of decline

post #90 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:38 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
That is like going to the Zoo and declaring that lions are common.
My world may be a little different, but I see many GT3s around me.
post #91 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:49 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
I see GT3 RS, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Bentley's and McLaren's every day but it does not may them common.
me73 likes this.

post #92 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:51 AM

Garage
To me, the scariest thing I heard in the launch video (that keeps me from pre-ordering one) is "We built our very first, one-of-a-kind, totally bespoke, nothing like it ever built, 8-speed dual-clutch transmission"

Eeep!

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
post #93 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
To me, the scariest thing I heard in the launch video (that keeps me from pre-ordering one) is "We built our very first, one-of-a-kind, totally bespoke, nothing like it ever built, 8-speed dual-clutch transmission"

Eeep!
There is a whole lot of new stuff on this car and I imagine a lot of people will be watching to see if there are any major issues with the first year cars. I know I'm waiting for the grandsport. The biggest issues with the c7 were oil pooling in the head during sustain high g turns and heatsoaking. It looks like the oiling issues may have been addressed. It remains to be seen if the massive side intakes are enough to keep this car cool for sustained durations. If it proves to be reliable on the track I think I'll look into picking one up.
post #94 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I see GT3 RS, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Bentley's and McLaren's every day but it does not may them common.
^^^This^^^

When I got my first Elise, there were a total of 5 in a 10 square mile radius that I knew of.

Again, the folks at the local gas station thought they were a pretty common sight.

I had a Pontiac Solstice Coupe. Rarer than the Exige in the US.

There were three in my neighborhood, one the same color as mine.

"Rare" is a universal measurement. "Common" is a local thing.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #95 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:38 PM
boxerman

Quote:
One objection, the 2002 was not the pinnacle of the BMW driving machine, the '80's brought the 323i and later E30 M3 but I agree its been decades of decline
he 2002 was not the pinacle, but it was the forst machine that differentiated BMW and put it on the path to being the "ultimate drivers machine" a phrase they abandoned literaly and figuratively.
post #96 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:41 PM
boxerman

Quote:
Thats because thyre good, and work well making them desireable, thats why you see them about especialy at track events too.

Who cares about "exclusivity" seriously to me its all about what the machine is, not what it represents.
post #97 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:50 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Thats because thyre good, and work well making them desireable, thats why you see them about especialy at track events too.

Who cares about "exclusivity" seriously to me its all about what the machine is, not what it represents.
I've never been car sick in the passenger seat of a car, including at the track. Until I went out (as a passenger) in an instructor's 997 GT3. The speed and grip of that thing was so high that I wasn't right for the rest of the day
post #98 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:26 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:

I 100% agree! However, I know that for many "marching to the beat of their own drummer" has some value/appeal. Nothing wrong with either approach. It is about whatever each person enjoys. I had a 2012 Boss 302 for a while. There are things(primarily engine, exhaust note, and some styling) about that car that I STILL miss. It sure wasn't a Lotus or Corvette, but it had its own very enjoyable appeal.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #99 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
As long as those people aren't going around shaming people about it I don't see the issue. Personally I would rather own something a little different. Me or anyone else not buying a C8 because it will be super common (for a sports car) doesn't take anything away from a C8. I can't blame someone for buying a Corvette, I just have little interest in one myself. I am glad not everyone buys the same car, I prefer variety in the world of cars.
fzust likes this.
post #100 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
People that have never even considered a Corvette are now contemplating a C8.
This. I have never considered even getting caught dead in a Corvette. Then the C7 came around and it got me interested, but I never thought about leaving these pastures of small, compact foreign cars (Japanese and British, mostly). But with the C8... I'm now sitting squarely on the fence.
Mobius97, WestCoastLotus and eZg like this.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in