New Corvette: 495hp mid-engine, Under $60k - Page 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 168 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:34 AM

The C6 was really competitive as tehy learned how to corner after 50 Years developement.. before that they where like: "oh the other cars are quicker in the corner... well lets make the engine bigger with more HP and we will get them on the straights anyway.."

The C7 had heat issues...
Now they learned to get rid of the leaf feathers and build a proper suspension but also switched to a mid engine layout that is harder to cool. how do they think their engine will be able to handle this?

I am really excited about the first (unpaid) tests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 168 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:52 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelG1986 View Post
The C6 was really competitive as tehy learned how to corner after 50 Years developement.. before that they where like: "oh the other cars are quicker in the corner... well lets make the engine bigger with more HP and we will get them on the straights anyway.."

Now they learned to get rid of the leaf feathers and build a proper suspension but also switched to a mid engine layout that is harder to cool. how do they think their engine will be able to handle this?

The heat issues were largely with the Auto transmission Z06s. However related to certifying the car for full tank lapping at 85F ambient temp. I realize in Michigan that seems like good enough, but Cali, AZ, Texas, no way. With the new cooling they certified the manual at 100F full tank lapping on the C7Z. Let's hope, as they do that the Dual Clutch is inherently better and that they are "once-bitten, twice shy" for the C8. Never underestimate the ability of GM's schedule and accounting wonks to win out over engineering.

I am fairly confident in the LT2 car's heat capability as it has to be designed upfront for the Z06. Of course the base car's brakes will be crap.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #163 of 168 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelG1986 View Post

HIGH HOPES....low expectations. I started to give the C8 serious consideration which translated into lots of research and actual owner experience (of C6 and C7 intro cars). You cant necessarily overlay those experiences to the C8, but the history is NOT good. Lots of commentary about early purchasers being UNPAID BETA TESTERS for GM. Plenty of 'sour grapes' over GM build quality in general --some of which is just internet 'opinion', but, in some, I did see some commonality/trends of problems (as mentioned here--heat/cooling, brakes). My enthusiasm is TEMPERED. I'd have to wait at least a year for the debugging to get into the prod line(reminds me of the early Evora wire harness adn clutch issues)---and the true convert version likely wont come out until years end ....Back to the 'drawing board' :-(

The garage moveD.
2007 CO Elise--in new hands--in STL
Toyota Tundra
Mazda Miata
1973 jet black Ford Mustang convertible...SOLD!

post #164 of 168 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:18 AM

Yeah, the C8 seems really cool to me and almost renders a lot of other cars passe.
That said, Im not looking for a daily driver sportscar, I like a raw experience.
Thinking back, that's why I sold my C6Z06. Great car, just wasn't raw enough.
Im still torn between the C8, a used Cayman/Boxster (and save some money), a Backdraft/SPF Shelby Cobra, or another Viper, which would be #5. I like the Evora 400.

Not sure I want a DCT at this point. I love the Alfa but want to shift my own gears and didn't buy that so Im afraid I will be unsatisfied if I buy a car with a DCT.
I suspect some of you here might be too. IDK.
Maybe the driving experience will make up for the lack of a manual, maybe Im more old school.
I don't like buying cars brand new and after you drive that new C8 off the lot its just another used Chevy.
Any of the used cars on my list have already taken a depreciation hit and are special in their own right and perhaps offer a better drivers experience. IDK.
Still loving the C8 though.
The guys who buy the Z models have a different mindset than the base cars and thats a good thing.
darkSol likes this.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
post #165 of 168 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:20 PM
KCZ

Garage
Does anyone know if Lotus Engineering was involved with the design of the chassis/suspension/handling characteristics of the new Corvette? I remember talk about 4 years ago that Lotus was working on some secret project for GM and I can't imagine what else it would have been. All the early reviews are raving about the improved handling in this car.

2011 Evora S 2+2 in Persian Blue with Oyster
2003 350Z, Track edition
2013 Boxster S 981
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
post #166 of 168 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:33 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML1media View Post
HIGH HOPES....low expectations. I started to give the C8 serious consideration which translated into lots of research and actual owner experience (of C6 and C7 intro cars). You cant necessarily overlay those experiences to the C8, but the history is NOT good. Lots of commentary about early purchasers being UNPAID BETA TESTERS for GM. Plenty of 'sour grapes' over GM build quality in general --some of which is just internet 'opinion', but, in some, I did see some commonality/trends of problems (as mentioned here--heat/cooling, brakes). My enthusiasm is TEMPERED. I'd have to wait at least a year for the debugging to get into the prod line(reminds me of the early Evora wire harness adn clutch issues)---and the true convert version likely wont come out until years end ....Back to the 'drawing board' :-(
I wasn't a C6/C7 Beta tester, but owned both. Neither ever gave me any problems, except for the C6 driver's power seat adjuster. It was replaced under warranty Honestly, I'll probably put a deposit down on the C8. Just to hold my place in the proverbial line.

First year vehicles are nearly always subject to issues. I'm on my 6th recall item for the Ducati V4S, but only one really caused me an actual issue. It's the first vehicle in quite some time to actually instill fear in me.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #167 of 168 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:49 PM

Still have to drive one, but I'm thinking this would make a nice garage mate with an Exige in about 3 years when they've depreciated a bit. I've owned Corvettes and appreciate them for what they are. Very different from a Lotus, but would be cool to have the best of both worlds.
fzust likes this.
post #168 of 168 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:54 AM

Interesting tidbit. I just found out a week ago, very much to my own surprise that the company my fathers works for won the body/shell contract for the C8. He and my uncle are HUGE vette nuts so he is giddy to say the least.
fzust and Kubera like this.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in