STI vs ELISE - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldmansan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

STI vs ELISE

I’ve owned a 2006 Subaru sti for about 4 years now I’ve tracked it and raced it, both when it was stock and after quite a bit of mods. Im in the middle of rebuilding the Subaru again cosmetically and mechanically. And in a few days I’ll be picking up a car I’ve always wanted since I first seen it in midnight club 3 on my Xbox as a kid. My question is to anyone that has had the pleasure of driving both vehicles how do they compare and what sets one above the other
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 01:18 PM

They could not be more different.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 01:39 PM

I have not owned and STi but several Audi Quattros, Cooper S etc

The phrase I like to use to describe these cars is it feels like you are driving standing up

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksndunks View Post
I’ve owned a 2006 Subaru sti for about 4 years now I’ve tracked it and raced it, both when it was stock and after quite a bit of mods. Im in the middle of rebuilding the Subaru again cosmetically and mechanically. And in a few days I’ll be picking up a car I’ve always wanted since I first seen it in midnight club 3 on my Xbox as a kid. My question is to anyone that has had the pleasure of driving both vehicles how do they compare and what sets one above the other
With both cars stock your STI is faster and quicker than an Elise in a straight line. You can get pretty quick 0-60 times with an Elise, but you have to abuse it by side stepping the clutch.

With AWD the STI is a bit easier to drive. Light and mid engined, the Lotus can be prone to throttle lift oversteer. More than a few have met guardrails on ramps when drivers go in hot, get scared or get into a decreasing radius turn, take their foot off the gas, and the rear end tries to swap places with the front end.

To compensate, from the factory Lotus dialed in a fair amount of understeer that can be dialed back out by removing shims in the suspension.

The Lotus is more engaging, you feel more connected to the road. It's truly just a big go kart. There really is nothing like it and it spoils you for any other sports car, even if it's not the fastest.

And if you're into the attention, the Lotus draws it like an exotic car. No offense, but the STI is all but invisible on the road.

Modifying either car changes things.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 02:36 PM
Less is Better

I've owned both at the same time. It's very difficult to compare the two from an experience standpoint. I like @exigegus 's description of like driving while standing up. I'd add to that that it's like standing up wrapped in a blanket with very thick gloves and boots on.

The most significant difference is that the Subaru is still basically an economy sedan. The Elise is a dedicated, highly involving sports car designed without compromises to real world liveablility. It doesn't matter how fast you're going, the Elise is always a fantastic experience.

Please don't use those wheels or anything like them on the Lotus.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:43 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
I've owned both at the same time. It's very difficult to compare the two from an experience standpoint. I like @exigegus 's description of like driving while standing up. I'd add to that that it's like standing up wrapped in a blanket with very thick gloves and boots on.

The most significant difference is that the Subaru is still basically an economy sedan. The Elise is a dedicated, highly involving sports car designed without compromises to real world liveablility. It doesn't matter how fast you're going, the Elise is always a fantastic experience.

Your last sentence is probably what I've had said here many years ago. I probably would have included the lettering as well.

I own an Exige S and an STI Limited I bought for my son last year. I owned the original bugeye 2002 WRX, both bone stock and very modified. Likewise my Exige was bone stock AFAIK and is now very modified.

The cars are very different. Both are well done from the factory, but they differ in nearly every way. If you buy an Elige, it will instantly change the way you feel about every other car you own. Not because they changed, but because the Elige makes nearly every other car on the planet seem heavy and unresponsive in comparison. I remember driving to work in my C6 Corvette after purchasing the Exige. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. The C6 would never be the same car, because I bought the Exige. I'm not exaggerating.

The flip side is teaching my son how to drive a stick, and then letting him drive my C7 Z51 and the Exige back to back. Seeing the smiles on his face turn to laughter was priceless. When asked which he'd prefer, he chose the Exige. After trading the C7 in for a GT-R that he's also driven, he still would take the Exige given the choice. He especially likes the shifter, old world slop and all.

I often tell people not to drive one if you don't plan on buying one. I think I'll have one foot in the grave when I part with my Exige. I haven't driven anything I like better.

San
evansp60 likes this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksndunks View Post
With both cars stock your STI is faster and quicker than an Elise in a straight line. You can get pretty quick 0-60 times with an Elise, but you have to abuse it by side stepping the clutch.

With AWD the STI is a bit easier to drive. Light and mid engined, the Lotus can be prone to throttle lift oversteer. More than a few have met guardrails on ramps when drivers go in hot, get scared or get into a decreasing radius turn, take their foot off the gas, and the rear end tries to swap places with the front end.

To compensate, from the factory Lotus dialed in a fair amount of understeer that can be dialed back out by removing shims in the suspension.

The Lotus is more engaging, you feel more connected to the road. It's truly just a big go kart. There really is nothing like it and it spoils you for any other sports car, even if it's not the fastest.

And if you're into the attention, the Lotus draws it like an exotic car. No offense, but the STI is all but invisible on the road.

Modifying either car changes things.
I really liked this detailed comparison and I completely agree with the fact of no one bats an eye to an sti. Unless your an avid Subaru enthusiast that loves the Hawkeye model your just another car on the road even if you were driving a 22B
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Lol don’t worry I don’t plan to. The Subaru pretty much went more towards a car show build that’s why I has the carbon fiber wheels, body aero etc. I don’t feel like any three piece big lipped wheels or body flares look good on the Elise. If I was to swap the wheels they would be something subtle like a te37 or another racing wheel ssr etc.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Quote:

Your last sentence is probably what I've had said here many years ago. I probably would have included the lettering as well.

I own an Exige S and an STI Limited I bought for my son last year. I owned the original bugeye 2002 WRX, both bone stock and very modified. Likewise my Exige was bone stock AFAIK and is now very modified.

The cars are very different. Both are well done from the factory, but they differ in nearly every way. If you buy an Elige, it will instantly change the way you feel about every other car you own. Not because they changed, but because the Elige makes nearly every other car on the planet seem heavy and unresponsive in comparison. I remember driving to work in my C6 Corvette after purchasing the Exige. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. The C6 would never be the same car, because I bought the Exige. I'm not exaggerating.

The flip side is teaching my son how to drive a stick, and then letting him drive my C7 Z51 and the Exige back to back. Seeing the smiles on his face turn to laughter was priceless. When asked which he'd prefer, he chose the Exige. After trading the C7 in for a GT-R that he's also driven, he still would take the Exige given the choice. He especially likes the shifter, old world slop and all.

I often tell people not to drive one if you don't plan on buying one. I think I'll have one foot in the grave when I part with my Exige. I haven't driven anything I like better.

San
Agree with that statement so much. Ive been wanting a elise for quite some time and spent many hours looking at sale posts. I’ve had a few chances to drive one but didn’t want to fall in love with the experience and get impatient and jump on a purchase for that reason.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 04:20 AM

@brgelise has a lot of track miles on both. Maybe he can add insight beyond what’s already been contributed.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:53 AM
Race & Pamper

They are 2 totally different cars. It is up to the driver's preference to see what you ultimately like the most.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:00 PM

When I got myElise, I also had my STi and had them both for about 3 years and swapped back and forth. STi was pretty heavily modified with KW500/400 springs, big sways and Cobb tune on a big open exhaust. Except for being a hoot on rain days, I sold the STi because it WAS NOT making me a better driver. Throw it sideways and squeeze does not make for a faster driver. Elise was the ultimate teaching tool. IMHO, Subaru has completely fubared the STi. It's an also ran now.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in