Which of these 4 sports cars would you want? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 04:40 AM
You can't make this up

Evora

I would go with the Evora loaded to the gills and would more then likely load it up with goodies from Hethel Sports. The Jag would run a second as a production car. The Benz turns me off. I'm sure it is a great car but I just don't like it. If I could choose a car it would be a production run of the Updated Esprit that didn't make it past concept car. That was a huge miss in my book for Lotus. The staying power of the Esprit is telling a huge story on directions to go. Did I mention the concept car was beautiful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Conscience not included

The GT3 probably should be on the list. I just didn't think it would fit the price range. I'll edit the OP.

In defense of the Jag, it is one of the most entertaining cars I've ever driven. A lot of it has to do with the sound. That is a bit puerile, no doubt, but if you're driving on the street like most of us are and you don't want to get arrested or kill someone, it's difficult to find entertainment in a sports car. My Porsche can be quite dull on the street, and it's supposed to be one of the purest Porsches available.

It (Porsche) sounds phenomenal and has full exhaust, but the Jag is on another level. It's like Satan's orgasm.

'06 VF280 Elise, '17 F type SVR, '00 Viper RT/10, '16 Boxster Spyder (sold ), '97 Miata, '12 SL550.

Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.

- Socrates
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Nobody said we could add to the list, I just didn't ask for permission. The ACR is more balanced and faster than the Z06, both in a straight line and around the track. It is also more exclusive. On the downside it hasn't held it's value well.

San
You also have to serious cajones to really go fast. So much of the grip comes from the insane aero that it takes quite a recalibration of what you think a car can do. The limits of the less aero-emphasis cars are much more "accessible". Whether that's a pro or a con depends on the driver. I only state it because I see that as the biggest difference between the ACR and pretty much everything else in the arena.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Conscience not included

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
You also have to serious cajones to really go fast. So much of the grip comes from the insane aero that it takes quite a recalibration of what you think a car can do. The limits of the less aero-emphasis cars are much more "accessible". Whether that's a pro or a con depends on the driver. I only state it because I see that as the biggest difference between the ACR and pretty much everything else in the arena.
Hard to believe the top speed is only 177 given the power. Not that it matters in the real world.

'06 VF280 Elise, '17 F type SVR, '00 Viper RT/10, '16 Boxster Spyder (sold ), '97 Miata, '12 SL550.

Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.

- Socrates
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 12:15 PM
glb

- Socrates
--

Widely attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt.

---

Doesn't the std Viper w/o aero stuff have a higher top speed?

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 PM

The newest McLaren P1 to go with my 2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise and my daily driver, a 2010 John Cooper Works Mini.

Attached Images

Aedo likes this.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:12 PM

Garage
I honestly believe it comes down to what you will primarily be using the car for in my opinion.

If it is for cruising around and enjoying a smooth comfortable drive...Jag/Merc/Vette They have tons of creature comforts, and are very posh.

If it is for the above with more exclusiveness to it...Evora 410/Merc Just because there are far less in the world we live in. The vette is a dime a dozen, the Merc a gas hog, the Jag is also a gas hog...and what it was the most fun for...drifting, is something that is hard to do on the normal road.

If it is all out track power/speed Viper ACR, Vette, Evora 410 for the track...its not bad on power. Impressive numbers honestly for the what it really is.

And I am definitely not a fan of Porsche...I believe like the ACR & Merc you won't see what fun REALLY is until you are in the thick of it, pushing that car to its limits...and possibly then some. I believe the Jag is a symphony that is enjoyable to cruise in, but the Evora will be the most fun of all as an everyday driver. The ability to really have fun just around town/freeway, without the true need to ALWAYS be in triple digits.

This is my biggest thing...the enjoyment of a car in all avenues of driving. I love my elise for this. In-laws bought a New 5 series BMW...nice car, boring as all get out to drive though. I just drove a Newer Audi R8, again great gt sedan, trapped in a 2 door body. Absolutely ZERO fun until I was in the 100s...and really how often am I going to do that?

My elise...fun regardless of whether I am in town, canyons, auto x...sure more power is fun. But think about ALL the power I can make with all the money I didn't dump into getting into those that are more exclusive...such as what you have listed above. Also cost of maintenance is nice on the Evora, considering it is a toyota motor that is virtually bullet proof. I definitely can't say that is true for any other vehicle on the list that is posted. I have a friend who owns a mercedes and it is about a $500 bill every 6 months for maintenance and up keep from the dealership. I personally have never been impressed with it.

I believe it is really down to what is the intended purpose of the car and how much you think you will need/want to pay for upkeep in the long run? Also how long do you plan on keeping it for? Its not necessarily which is the best choice, when it is hard to know what the best choice would be for what you actually want to do.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconscionable View Post
Hard to believe the top speed is only 177 given the power. Not that it matters in the real world.
The RMS Queen Mary had 160,000hp and a top speed of only 38mph. Power is only part of the equation

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 09:58 AM

I vote for the Viper in a loud color. Maybe something like Larry's P1 color.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:43 AM

Garage
I guess I am an old prick of a Republican Driving Enthusiast

Just kidding although I do own 3 of the brands, just not those cars specifically and a Z06 has been on my interest list.

Too funny.............Just glad I never owned a Viper before!

Last edited by Tazicon; 12-07-2016 at 12:57 PM.
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Conscience not included

I completely agree with the fact that it's difficult to enjoy a high performance car on the street. That is what would drive me towards the Jaguar and Evora.

The Mercedes is definitely an amazing car, but I can tell without even driving it that it's too good. It's too rigid, too stable, too capable. It's a superior car that's just hard to enjoy on the road. Like the 911 Turbo it's trying to steal customers from. Must be a German thing.

I feel this way about my Porsche sometimes. It can be too perfect.

That's why I bought an old Viper. And I wholeheartedly admonish these horrific stereotypes about my kind!
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 09:19 PM

Garage
After the McLaren F1, the BAC Mono is the most incredible thing on 4 wheels. For $3500, you can spend the day in one a private track in Spain. It's on my to-do list.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unconscionable View Post
You want to buy a new, and only new, play thing. You really don't want to spend more than $140k and you aren't interested in buying a $100k car with $40k in options (ahem... Porsche). You also don't want a used super car due to maintenance and insurance (Mclaren, Lamborghini). Kit cars are a pain to register, so they're out.
Personally, I value both power to weight ratio and curb weight. I autocross a lot and that is a factor to me. I would have trouble with the "only new" bit of your requiremens--not just because of budget but also there might be some other cars to consider that aren't made anymore.

- Jaguar F Type SVR = sounds awesome, but I am not a fan of the curb weight. I imagine this as a softer ride, more GT than sport.

- Mercedes AMG GT S/C = Don't see many of these. It seems like it would be a good all around car. For my tastes I would still be concerned about the weight. I haven't driven one but from what I understand the handling has been vastly improved compared to the related SLS. I just don't have much faith in Mercedes making cars that would satisfy me on an autox or occasional track day, but this might be the one Merc that does it.

- Lotus Evora 410 sport = If thinking of a more GT style car, this would do it for me. Probably the reason I have a Lotus in my garage and I am not capable of fairly comparing these cars. Power, light compared to its competition, and sublime handling combined with rarity makes this my kind of car.

- Corvette Z06 = A practical choice (in my deranged world, yes, a Z06 is practical). See them all the time, I personally want something "different". They've gotten fatter with the C7, weight is up to like 3500 pounds. Still, these cars are hard to ignore from a performance/price perspective.

- Viper ACR = I kind of feel any Viper is an awesome choice. It is still on the portly side for my taste, but having a V10 is something cool in itself. I mean, if you are going to be over 3000 pounds, having 10 cylinders is a good reason. Vipers litter top 10 track records across the US.

- 911 GT3 = They're awesome. All the trick stuff I would want to do to mod a car is already done. I don't feel like p cars in general are particularly durable, that is a concern for me. My biggest problem with the GT3 though is that some of the Cayman trim lines tick the right boxes for me and cost a lot less.

- Wait for ZR1 = It's more rare, but to a lot of people it is still "just a Corvette".

- Wait for V6 Exige = This would be best IMO, and maybe play with something else in the meantime. Cars to consider during the wait: Cayman, Alfa 4C, perhaps even a Miata, or a used car that has already taken a depreciation hit

Last edited by Parko; 12-11-2016 at 08:38 PM.
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:10 PM
glb

My take on the issue:

The reason I love(d) driving my hot rod Elan for 20 yrs and my Elise (11 yrs now), is that in this country we don't get to explore very high tops speeds often (on street), but a light, responsive car is fun to drive everywhere at every speed.

The Lotus 7 (not mine, but in my care & in my garage) was a ball.

I gladly sold (at a big profit) my 420+ hp TT Supra to get the Elise, which made me much happier.

After the Evora 400/10 is out for a while, I may look to pick up a used car.

I have yet to experience an EPS system that satisfies. Apparently, Porsche did a good job, but the M235i and S3 were quite numb in steering.

One reviewer thought the best steering feedback among 2-series models was the (lowly) 228, not the M235i or even the M2.

BTW, this is why I still like my (more lowly) XRS. 2600 lbs and lively steering.

And, as above, some of these brands are just too common, plentiful, to make one feel special.

Question:

Is the Evora 400 stick coming here or is Lotus jumping us to the 410? I realize they'd make more $$ by having the 410 as an option.

g

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 06:08 PM

All nice cars.
Kinda depends on how you want to use the car.
Some of the choices are rather practical for what they are and a couple are not.

Im a Viper guy. Have had like 4 of them so my first choice would be the Viper. (Id go for a T/A spec'ed version but thats me.)
Yes, the extreme aero limits the top speed drastically.
Personally Im not a track rat and dont care for all the aero fins and wings of the ACR.
My second choice might be the Evora for obvious reasons, but I have a hard time paying that kind of money for a car with a Toyota engine.
Most of the cars on that list use engines that are a bit more focused in their engineering to a purpose.

I think the Evora and the Corvette are similar in terms of track times and overall performance. Again it depends what is important.
Some cars on the list are just fast sedans. I dont consider those sports cars.

The Jag is a beautiful car but way along the lines of a GT car though I dont really know as I have never driven one. Great car if you just wanna blast around quickly and in comfort.

Very different cars, decide how you will task the car and choose the right tool.

Have fun!

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Conscience not included

Well, this thread was created as a general question but was perhaps obviously related to me.

I battled HARD over whether to go with the Viper ACR or the F type SVR. F type SVR is definitely a GT, but may be more suited to my driving. I'm not a track junkie. I go 3-4 times per year. I also live in Manhattan and will park this car in a garage here. Viper doesn't sound great either. SVR sounds vicious. Also, my wife BEGGED me not to get the ACR.

In the end, it came down to dollars. I could lease the F type SVR whereas the Vipers were slightly used and therefore couldn't be leased. That was important for business reasons. $13k off MSRP didn't hurt either. But all else being equal, I would've taken the ACR. The big wing is a giant middle finger to the elitists who live around me.

I'll probably be out of the SVR in a year's time... Mclaren is next in line!

- Socrates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in