Why SUV's are the new go to vehicle. - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 05:19 PM

As someone who always gravitated towards smaller performance cars (1st car was a 1983 Rabbit GTI and my favorites have been the 3 Mitsubishi Evos I have had), I was always reluctant to even look at larger, heavier vehicles. But now I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee SRT that is by far the best day-to-day car I have ever owned. Perfect size for people and cargo, excellent engine, transmission, suspension, and brakes (and sound!), AWD + good ground clearance means you can drive it anywhere, any time (including onto people's ranches). It is also just super fun to drive and surprises people both in a straight line and in corners. I drove it halfway across the country last summer and it is incredibly comfortable at big (BIG) speeds.

Trying not to buy a Trackhawk just yet, even though they are already being heavily discounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 04:06 AM
scv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
I get the SUV “thing” but as someone who’s DD gets 27-30K stacked on it annually I need and want something with high MPG. My 2008 Civic sedan that I brought new now has 279K on it and its replacement next spring is probably going to be another Civic sedan which advertises 42 MPG highway.

So while I’d love to get the CX-5 next, SUV type of MPG will be a lot more $ over the life of the vehicle.
My 2013 CX-5 manual averaged 30.4 mpg; current 2016.5 CX-5 automatic (couldn't find a manual in timely fashion) averaging 27.4 mpg..........both base drivetrain....

"the most uninterested man in the world....stay thirsty, my friend"
2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmhmm View Post
This is my home now douchebag
Huh....first post and this is what you choose to say (to a mod even) or is it some kind of joke that went over my head?

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver

post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius97 View Post
Huh....first post and this is what you choose to say (to a mod even) or is it some kind of joke that went over my head?
I'm sure it's a disgruntled ex member who made an alt account.

Time for an IP ban?

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 01:42 PM

Why SUV's are the new go to vehicle.

Time out.......

My favorite

Why not one more...😀☘

Lotus could use some advertising like this. Get the blood pumping and show people what's outside the box.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU

Last edited by LotusCC; 06-13-2018 at 01:47 PM.
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scv View Post
My 2013 CX-5 manual averaged 30.4 mpg; current 2016.5 CX-5 automatic (couldn't find a manual in timely fashion) averaging 27.4 mpg..........both base drivetrain....
Not bad, but the Civic will get 40 mpg minimum on country/highway driving and when you’re putting almost 30K on the odometer annually that starts to become a significant difference.
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 04:14 PM

I thought this photo may be germane to this thread, I took it on a street near my home, how many Porsche SUVs can you count?
Attached Images

Turbopun likes this.
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 04:44 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna's daddy View Post
I thought this photo may be germane to this thread, I took it on a street near my home, how many Porsche SUVs can you count?
Nice use of germane since you're asking about Porsche SUVs. I would guess four, but there's probably a few hiding behind the bushes.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Nice use of germane since you're asking about Porsche SUVs. I would guess four, but there's probably a few hiding behind the bushes.

San
Thanks San, but any perceived wit or cleverness in my post is totally coincidental and unintended; it has more in common with the sum of a monkey, a typewriter, and time.
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:11 PM

Lol...5 Porsche SUV's parked on one block! hahaha...perfect addition @senna's daddy !

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 03:20 AM

Nice, finally a dedicated SUV thread — in the Evora subforum no less., but it’s going to be a while before Lotus gets in the act, at least 2022. Don’t hold your breath, anything could happen between now and then. Anyway, since 1988, I’ve always owned at least one SUV. Back then it was a new Jeep Cherokee Pioneer that didn’t even come equipped with a center console and had to purchase and install one myself. Now own a Honda Element -- probably one of the highest “utility” factor vehicles ever built considering it’s dimensions, but it looks like a box and low in the excitement department. Nowadays most SUV’s have morphed into luxury vehicles with little to no off road capability and cramped, limited storage. Functionality has been usurped by style. Many manufacturers gave up ladder frame construction and now offer a unibody based on an existing front wheel drive sedan in their line up. Guess there is nothing really wrong with that, if that is what you want, but it’s basically just a glorified grocery getter.

From what has been revealed so far, that is the niche that Geely is going to fill with the Lotus SUV except they will promote “handling, lightweight and maybe Lotus heritage” in the mix. Before JMG left, he said the details would be revealed in two months. That was in March, so we’ll see. Expect a hybrid with AWD. The idea, of course, is simply to sell these vehicles at a higher volume and profit margin which ends up benefiting those of us interested in what Lotus is really all about; that of course being a unique, nimble, no nonsense sports car. That is, if there is still such a thing in four years.

My opinion is that the words “Lotus” and “SUV” used together is a oxymoron. What does the general public equate with the name “Lotus”? Probably “no frills”, “lightweight” and “nimble handling” come to mind, but also “fragile” and “questionable reliability and service”, three ingredients you don’t necessarily want in an SUV which should be expected to be “rugged” and “dependable” at least in theory. Many brands now offer a concierge service and will pick up and drop off your vehicle from your home or workplace — hassle free. Lotus isn’t exactly known as being great value either, and the market is going to have to expand way beyond just current Lotus owners. Expectations are 10,000 units/year. Has anyone considered that Geely may brand this new vehicle as something other than a Lotus, especially if it’s made in China?

So maybe Geely will again reinvent the compact SUV or CUV, maybe bust out a whole new segment and call it an LUV (Lotus Urban Vehicle). They’ll have to do something to carve out at least a niche of this saturated market segment. Sure, there are other performance oriented choices from Chrysler, Porsche, BMW, Alfa Romeo, even Maserati and Lamborghini, etc. but those are relatively overpowered and overweight in comparison to what Lotus/Geely is purportedly planning. Perhaps a rebadged, decontented Volvo XC60 Polestar with lowered suspension and Lotus grille and taillights? I’ll accept whatever it takes to keep the marque solvent. Let’s hope they get it right. It may depend on how much “sport” buyers really want in an SUV.
post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius97 View Post
Lol...5 Porsche SUV's parked on one block! hahaha...perfect addition @senna's daddy !
Like a Mobius strip, there were 3 more after I crested the hill
Mobius97 and lotusquacious like this.
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 12:28 PM
glb

Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Explorer earn poor rating in latest IIHS crash test

Structures collapsed on both vehicles during passenger-side front small-overlap crash test

Read more: Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee suffer in latest IIHS crash tests

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 04:47 PM
glb

Manufacturers have been misleading consumers for years. Their ads state/imply that AWD makes one safer. That is not usually true.

AWD is great going straight while trying to avoid being stuck or trying to get unstuck.

Most systems help very little turning and braking. And, the added wt of some of those vehicles makes both of those more difficult.

Before stability controls were mandated for SUVs, they were disproportionately involved in one car accidents. Roll-overs are the most dangerous mishaps.

Aside: Perhaps the most frightened I've even been in a car was on a local highway during a freak snowfall (unexpected).

Speed limit is 50, but men (always men here) in giant SUV/trucks were going way faster than that.

I guessed they were trying to prove (to themselves?) that dragging all that bulk around for 12 months finally paid off.

I don't scare easily and have many tracks day, but this was nuts.

"Perception" good word there. Thx.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

As someone that has driven up from CT to Maine in more than one blizzard, everything you say is correct about the downside of SUVs. #1 is the fallacy that AWD does not need snows in the winter. These things will climb with bald tires but they definitely won't turn or brake that way. As you can imagine, I am one of those guys hauling ass...why??...because I am used to driving fast and lose. Freak snowfalls are very unpleasant even for me if I know the vehicle isn't prepared esp for those early/late season wet greasey events. I make sure I do my laps on rainy days because it keeps me sharp for winter!!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Let's assume the XC40 is the basis for the Lotus SUV.. Logic dictates. Let's hope they target the Stelvio and then some. Make it 180 inches and 3500 pounds instead of 185 inches and 4000 pounds. And please no ugly Porsche looks.

SUV is actually an archaic term. These are 21st century hatchbacks. Next thing you know, Germany will conjer up another blasphenus term like 4 door coupe or their SAV BS. Multitasker comes to mind as they do everything.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
I drove a Stelvio Quadrifoglio two weeks ago. It was mighty impressive for two tons, boy howdy. Very, very impressive, and that motor! Makes you laugh. It's probably not for me, I'd do the sedan but I understand why it could be for somebody else.

Real world a Golf R is my current pick for an urban daily to go with the Evora and replace my GTI. I'd look at a Lotus crossover if they keep the weight down and get the quality up.

I have to admit, the Stelvio Quadrifoglio was exciting, fun, impressive, compelling. But you do feel the weight.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Garage
My wife and I are not big people. She's 5'1" and I'm 5'8". Neither of us is over 180 lb. I'll freely admit that I find it awkward getting in and out of the Elise. It makes me smile (reminds me of my X 1/9) and keeps me limber.

We have other cars in the stable: I have a vintage Celica convertible, which will be my winter DD once the road salt starts. We also have a Crown Vic, which is getting on in years, but lives up to the Ford Panther reputation of being indestructible and cheap as dirt to drive (an aero or whale panther will get 30+ MPG on the highway). It's our big, upright, couches for seats, enormous trunk, road trip machine with tow capability (class III hitch, Rear Air Suspension). My 5x10 utility trailer will carry a ton, and I can roll things in and out of the bed. Don't need a (built-in) stepladder to get into the bed, either, unlike a friend's F150.

I've just never seen the appeal of a sport ute. They don't carry things (and people) as well as a minivan. They don't offroad as well as a true 4WD. Not as comfortable or as good (or safe) to drive as a true sedan. A whole bunch of bad compromises.

Grew up in Northern Maine. Learned to shift on a FJ-44 Land Cruiser with a plow mount (and sometimes a plow). Have never owned a car with AWD or FWD. Never needed it, either. If it's sloppy enough that you need all wheels driven, you probably shouldn't be on the road anyway, or, as the old saying goes, 4WD just gets you stuck 50 feet further up the gulch you shouldn't have driven up anyway.

The wife is getting tired of her DD being the pre-millenial Panther, so we've been looking at cars. I'm leaning toward an Alfa Giulia because they're nice, cheap, and fun.

The good news behind the Jeep/Ute craze: You can get more good sports sedan for less money now than you ever could before. Sports cars, too. The manufacturers are making all their profit on tall bad-handling things with horrible fuel economy. I had fun reminding folks this weekend that my Lotus cost less new than a friend's F250 PowerStroke.

And if you say, "but you're small! What if you were 6'5" and 250 lb?" My answer would be the same. I have a friend in that shape. His first new car and DD was a 1987 VW GTI. He drove it until the wheels fell off (almost literally) back around 1998. It was replaced by a Jetta GLI (which he hated), which was replaced by a Porsche 944 S2 which was his DD for about a decade and is now a track car and has been replaced by a Porsche Cayman as his DD. He does have a big utility vehicle: A really well used GMC Yukon he paid nearly nothing for and hauls and tows heavy things for him. The Yukon is getting elderly and he was looking at newer vehicles and hated the podded interior layout - the Elise actually has more passenger interior freedom of motion than the current Explorer does - gotta put all that useless video bling somewhere I guess.
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi View Post
People like a slightly higher vantage point than what sedans offer. Crossover's are the best of SUV and Sedan together. I hope whatever Lotus releases is more on the crossover styling than the SUV style. The MB GL* Coupes just look amazing as does the X6. I don't care if there's a little less room. Style first!
That is exactly the style" I hate most. X6 makes me hurl every time I see one. Just looks clumsy.

post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks folks. Came back to visit the thread. A little Eye candy to let you see what a Ti Sport can be made into as it is indeed 200+ lbs lighter than a Quad. Notice the tuning results in the sig!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in