Ported stock header - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 139 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B
I'm one of the guys who hasn't returned his core back to Dave. Way too much work with travel and not enough down time has caused me to put this install off until I had enough time set aside (things always take longer on an Elise).

At the very least, I'll get the core removed this Sunday Dave and FedEx it back to you on Monday. I apologize for the delay, things have been hectic.

Once I have the ported/coated header installed that Dave did for me, I'll post my impressions.

Thanks for coming over to the board Dave!

aww come on, Dave isn't that far away from us..

Jay-05' ST, HT, Touring Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 139 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
0o7

Any dynos yet?
post #43 of 139 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o7
Any dynos yet?

currently getting mine done right now..

post #44 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 01:35 PM

they should be up online soon..

post #45 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:43 AM

Any update on dynos?

Looking at the one dyno chart of the Celica GTS w/ AEM CAI and TRD Exhaust, there is an awesome bump in torque on the 1st cam, not sure how it will work out on the Lotus though.

2009 BMW 135i
Alpine White, M Sport
post #46 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

I'm still in Calli on a business trip - Haven't had time to get them posted. I'll do it ASAP.
post #47 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Here are the dyno results for Jay's car. Torque was measured at twice normal level for some reason on the highest reading ported header dyno, so I put horsepower only on that graph (sorry - no 125 ft. lbs of torque gains here ). I included the lowest power ported header in that graph and in the next one dyno as well so you could see the torque compared to unported.

Humidity was the same both days but it was 2 degrees F hotter when tested with the ported header.

post #48 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Not mind bogglingly huge power increase but respectable for the price IMO. This car ran with the header for quite a while before the dyno. I wish Jay would have reset the ECU though to see of some of the power was in fact being cancelled out by the ECU or not.
post #49 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 04:36 PM

Did the car have any other mods before and after? Also apart from the power gain, I like how it smooths out the curve a bit and fills in some of the "holes".

2009 BMW 135i
Alpine White, M Sport
post #50 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 PM

yes.. the before had a magnaflow exhaust with no cat and turboxs intake.. the after being the same but with the ported header..

post #51 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoz
Did the car have any other mods before and after? Also apart from the power gain, I like how it smooths out the curve a bit and fills in some of the "holes".
Yeah thats one thing almost everyone says is that it feels like the power delivery is much smoother after the porting.
post #52 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

This is kind of cool- this is the higher power ported header before heat soak set in run versus stock:

compared to the Forcedfed header dyno:

Not too shabby They are almost the same level of gains with a slightly smaller dip in power at lift on the ported one. The ported one also falls off less in the higher RPMs, but I expect thats more due to the exhaust and decat on Jay's car.

Last edited by Boosted2.0; 07-20-2006 at 12:02 PM.
post #53 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0
This is kind of cool- this is the higher power ported header before heat soak set in run versus stock:

compared to the Forcedfed header dyno:

Not too shabby They are almost the same level of gains with a slightly smaller dip in power on the ported ones.
You're obviously doing a good job getting the most from the factory header, but the Forcedfed header still looks cooler

Francis
2006 Chrome Orange Elise: LSD/TC, Nitron SAs with 425/650 springs, BWR 7/8" ("Hardcore") Front Bar, Eliseparts bumpsteer kit, VF Stage 2, 2bular Header + Sport Cat + 8x24 GT3 Muffler, ECU Tune by Jermaine, Smaay's fuel rail, ACT XT clutch, Saikou Michi dual catch can, Moroso pan, Manly's mount inserts & FF Engine Damper
2000 Black Integra Type R - DD: 231,000 miles!
post #54 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpitas
You're obviously doing a good job getting the most from the factory header, but the Forcedfed header still looks cooler
Ya got me there... although the ported header with the ceramic coat is pretty darn sexy:

post #55 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0
Ya got me there... although the ported header with the ceramic coat is pretty darn sexy:

No doubt it's a nice improvement over the stock header, especially for the price.

Francis
2006 Chrome Orange Elise: LSD/TC, Nitron SAs with 425/650 springs, BWR 7/8" ("Hardcore") Front Bar, Eliseparts bumpsteer kit, VF Stage 2, 2bular Header + Sport Cat + 8x24 GT3 Muffler, ECU Tune by Jermaine, Smaay's fuel rail, ACT XT clutch, Saikou Michi dual catch can, Moroso pan, Manly's mount inserts & FF Engine Damper
2000 Black Integra Type R - DD: 231,000 miles!
post #56 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpitas
How?
By having 1 million individual welded pieces?

My daily driver is an orange plastic toaster
post #57 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:36 PM

Andrikos, those welded pieces serve a functional purpose, that is how you create a stepped header.

Boosted 2.0, note in the ForcedFed header dyno how there is a nice boost in torque between 3000 and 3500 rpms? But in your dyno chart you just posted, the "after" dyno doesn't start until 5100 rpm. In the other one you posted the torque dipped back down to stock levels at about 3200 rpm, the opposite of the ForcedFed.

Do you think that behavior is a function of the stepped and long tube characteristics of the ForcedFed header? Is there anything that can be done to achieve that bump between 3000-3500 rpms on the ported header? Maybe in conjunction with a sport cat? It seems from some of what I've read that torque is improved with a sport cat vs. catless.

edit: I was thinking about the ForcedFed header but I just noticed they bumped the price up again on their website to $1700. I'm not paying $1700 for a header even if its made out of solid diamond.

2009 BMW 135i
Alpine White, M Sport
post #58 of 139 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

imoz,

I think thats due to the decat versus sport cat - heres what happened when we put one of the ported headers on a Celica with stock Cat, TRD exhaust (medium restrictive) and an AEM CAI (also medium restrictive and known for good mid-range)

Notice the HUGE gains in the midrange and relatively small ones up top. My opinion on this dyno is that it indicates that the exhaust and CAI were bottling the top end, but thats why they responded well to flow improvements at lower RPMs. Low end torque gains are usually indicative of a more restrictine intake or exhaust system.

Mind you I don't know about you, but I don't spend a hell of a lot of time 3000 RPM below the power curve even begins on most cars I drive. I've had 3 GTSs and anytime I wanted any kind of performance I downshifted till I was in the powerband.

Last edited by Boosted2.0; 07-20-2006 at 01:03 PM.
post #59 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the inquiries and orders in the past couple of months. Unfortunately I am going to be very busy for the next couple of weeks with some travel and projects I have going so I will not be accepting any new orders until mid or late September. I'll let y'all know when things are up and running again. This will not affect any orders already placed.

Thanks!

Dave
post #60 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoz
Andrikos, those welded pieces serve a functional purpose, that is how you create a stepped header.

Boosted 2.0, note in the ForcedFed header dyno how there is a nice boost in torque between 3000 and 3500 rpms? But in your dyno chart you just posted, the "after" dyno doesn't start until 5100 rpm. In the other one you posted the torque dipped back down to stock levels at about 3200 rpm, the opposite of the ForcedFed.

Do you think that behavior is a function of the stepped and long tube characteristics of the ForcedFed header? Is there anything that can be done to achieve that bump between 3000-3500 rpms on the ported header? Maybe in conjunction with a sport cat? It seems from some of what I've read that torque is improved with a sport cat vs. catless.

edit: I was thinking about the ForcedFed header but I just noticed they bumped the price up again on their website to $1700. I'm not paying $1700 for a header even if its made out of solid diamond.
you may be able to jump into the group buy at ~1300. considering a free flow/sport cat is about 700 - your are only paying 600 for the header at that point

...something to think about!

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Intake and Exhausts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in