rear euro grill install troubles with larini muffler.. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
rear euro grill install troubles with larini muffler..

Hi guys

I split this off from my other thread in hopes of catching someone's eye this morning

The grill from sector 111 (a new lotus part) hits the shield from the catalyst on the driver's side. It's now fairly well centered, and all bolts through the trunk are in place but loose, but when I push the grill into place to catch the lower bolt on the fender, the reflector bracket interferes with the cat pipe shield. Other than drilling out the rivets from my panel and pop riveting the new grills in place, was there any mods necessary to make the euro grills fit? I am thinking of shaving some of the bracket, but I'd rather not pull it all off again.

I will probably follow this with a pic. Thanks!

David Avery
06 Lotus Exige | 08 BMW M3 Cab
visit focusedE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 06:18 AM

Strange, I did not have this problem.

Hit the shield with a hammer?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Heh, I had my die grinder in hand but talked to Dragonrider first I think that my header is tweaked to one side, I am re-aligning it now. Thanks!

David Avery
visit focusedE

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 AM

Glad to be of service (even with frozen feet) Let me know how it goes!

2005 Elise Ardent Red/Black LSS, TP, HT, (Rip 7/25/14. Killed by a deer)
Knoxville, TN. Surrounded by:
Deal's Gap (318 curves in 11 miles)
Cherohala Skyway (45miles of sweeping mountain curves)
Devil's Triangle (Deal's Gap but with more attitude)
...and of course, the Great Smokey Mountains Parks!

Welcome to Elise Country
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hmm... just took the whole thing apart and put it back together. It just does not fit on the driver's side!

I cannot get the bolt at the bottom to close without the refelctor bracket hitting. Grrr.... any ideas? I wonder if I got the wrong panel from Sector 111?
Attached Images

David Avery
visit focusedE
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 09:44 AM

You got the right panel. The shield should be nowhere near that far out though, if it ever touches you will probably warp your reflector lense
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am looking at this pic:

and it appears as if it all fits fine, I am scratching my head... Dragon rider told me he had a 1/2 inch between the shield and the bracket, do you'all have that?

Also, do you have the can of the larini straight up and down or is it tilted? No matter what, I can't seem to wrangle this assembly back away. This is how it wants to be when it's bolted.

Also, I note that the driver's rod is at the end of the extent in the rubber hangers, I could not move it toward the passenger any more without it popping out from one side. Argh.

David Avery
visit focusedE
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:33 PM

I'm not sure exactly what may have happened for you as mine went in without a hitch. Can you see if the cat is somewhat centered front to back or is it more toward the back? Try loosening (not removing) the connection from the larini to the Cat and wriggling it a bit and seeing if you can't get it to work it's way back. I can't think of any way in which the exhaust could be on upside down. Hmm.. I wish I was closer. I love playing with these things!! Can you get some decent shots from the bottom of how you have it set up at the moment?

Welcome to Elise Country
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All right, I am definitely goin insane. Tonight after I put the kiddies to bed, I went back into the grrrrage and tried to align this thing again. It was not budging, so I removed the muffler and rear panel yet again, and then just put the rear panel back on with no muffler. No matter how I pivotted the cat, I could not get it into any position where it would not at least touch the bracket for the reflector, let along be 1/2" away!

I'm starting to think something's wrong with my car, perhaps the hand-built nature of these cars allowed such a tweak to happen. Anyone with any ideas? I'm getting really frustrated.

David Avery
visit focusedE

Last edited by dma550; 12-10-2006 at 05:21 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
In looking at the pic I posted above of the blue car, does it seem that perhaps the reflector reinforcement is a bit thinner than mine?
Attached Images

David Avery
visit focusedE
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 06:25 PM

Nope, mine is the same. Something is wrong with where your cat is aligned. I'd ask how close to an airport you are and at this point you are probably frustrated enough to fly one of us out there to help! <grin>

For some reason I'm thinking your cat is not where it should have been and is somehow tweaked or turned. That is one thing that happens easily, the cat can be rotated up/down and level. I do not think it's actually exactly level. I think my cat is turned down just a little (or was it up?). The cat is (from memory) a U shaped piece and not a solid structure all the way back to the manifold. If that's the case, then you should be able to adjust the relative height a bit. The tips will easily rotate to adjust and my exhuast is not perfectly level underneath. Lastly, try calling Sector 111. They are fantastic if you need tech support!

Welcome to Elise Country
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys

The car is still on it's wheels, hasn't moved since I took off the stocker. The odd part is that try as I may, muffler off, I cannot get it not to touch. I have tested the full range of pivot available, and no matter what, it still at least "touches" the shield.

David Avery
visit focusedE
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 08:18 PM

Just send me a two-way ticket from Knoxville to Ct and I'll be happy to help.

Welcome to Elise Country
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hah, actually I should be more than able to do this, I'm pretty handy. I built a 550 spyder, rebuilt a 915 transmission on a 911, turbo'ed the car myself (including desoldering an eeprom from the ECU)

This just seems off, I think something is off alignment wise in there. I did have to wack pretty hard to get the muffler off, I wonder if I wrecked something!

David Avery
visit focusedE
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 06:07 AM

dma, where are you in CT? My Elise and I are in Providence right now and I have the Larini installed with the Euro grill and tips. I might be able to swing by and provide you with a reference You're welcome to come up to Providence too if the car is running.

Your problem seems to be the location of your cat as someone else said.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 06:50 AM

Just saw this post. If your still planning on grinding some of the reflector bracket down tread lightly. My Euro Grill got hot enough at a track event in California this year that the reflector on the drivers side melted and the bracket got a little droopy too. Here's a link to some pics and a possible solution that I'm trying out. I haven't been out again in the high heat to test it but so far so good. May not be as much of a problem for you in CT, it was about 100+ ambient on the track when I had my problem.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...34&postcount=1

I'm curious if your able to get the larrini tips centered in the grill openings. I was never able to get mine centered to my liking, (too close together in the center) and gave up and will live with it. I love the exhaust otherwise.

If you want to patch the whole in your diffuser, here's what I did:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...hlight=difuser

Good luck!

2005 Elise, CO, LSS, Hard Top
2015 Fiesta ST, Race Red
1986 BMW E30 325E - 24 Hours of LeMons race turd

The B-Team, 24 Hours of LeMons Race Team
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma550
Hi guys

I split this off from my other thread in hopes of catching someone's eye this morning

The grill from sector 111 (a new lotus part) hits the shield from the catalyst on the driver's side. It's now fairly well centered, and all bolts through the trunk are in place but loose, but when I push the grill into place to catch the lower bolt on the fender, the reflector bracket interferes with the cat pipe shield. Other than drilling out the rivets from my panel and pop riveting the new grills in place, was there any mods necessary to make the euro grills fit? I am thinking of shaving some of the bracket, but I'd rather not pull it all off again.

I will probably follow this with a pic. Thanks!
Since every car is different from the other, we've only seen a few of these. With some cars the U pipe is further forward than with others. Regardless this seems to be an issue. Another problem you will have even if you get the grills to fit is the fact that it will melt the reflectors due to the fact that the U pipe is so close to it. Shaving the grill is one solution, but we (Sector111) need to come up with another solution. I will PM you.

Thanks
Neil

WTF people?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 07:34 AM

Why does the position of the U pipe vary between cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Intake and Exhausts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in