2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4
2009 BMW 135i convertible
2004 Porsche Cayenne S - sold
2000 carrera c4 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 06:02 PM

more pics stage three install

The new exhaust is so much smaller and lighter. You can really see the space difference between the two. The original one really fills the space. Easy install, just slide off the old one (ok really wiggle it with effort and mucho PB Blaster), slide on the new one, good to go. The pics here are of the old one on the package and the new one.
Attached Images

2007 Lotus Exige S Ardent Red, Track, Touring, Stage 3 exhaust -SOLD
2013 Camaro 1LE
2000 carrera c4 - sold
post #103 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 07:26 PM

Please psot some more pictures to show how the pipe exit the diffuser (ie, is it pointing down like Stage II or pointing backward like the stock oval tip).

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods

post #104 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 07:56 PM

For me, the stock oval tip points down at about a 45 degree angle from the diffuser... not backwards?

Reduce Weight // Improve Reliability http://www.ChimeraBatteries.com

2007 Lotus Exige S // 2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia 16M // 2012 Chrysler 300C
2005 Maserati Gransport SOLD // 2006 Chrysler 300C R.I.P.
post #105 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 03:30 AM

Mine is also pointing down, at about a 45 degree angle. When you are doing the install, you have a little wiggle room in the opening in the diffuser to decide the angle down, but it is only a few degrees either way. I will take more pics and post.

2013 Camaro 1LE
2000 carrera c4 - sold
post #106 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Exhaust angle

Hmmmmm.... it seems to be facing more toward the rear than downward. Either way, with stage 3, it sounds great!

Attached Images

2013 Camaro 1LE
2000 carrera c4 - sold
post #107 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:20 AM

Excellent, so I only need to trim the down pipe a little bit. to make it more parallel to the opening of the diffuser.

How is the Stage III sound? It is bigger than the Stage II, may be not as loud as Stage II.

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
post #108 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:10 PM

sound.....

The stage 3 is essentially the stage 2, same sound. The stage 3 is the name for the Exige exhaust. The stage 2 is the name for the Elise exhaust. I drove an 06 Elise with a stage 2 and I felt that it was a tad louder than my 07 Exige S with the stage 3. Mind you, the Exige is a hard top and supercharged; whereas the Elise was NA and the soft top was on. Now I did also drive an 05 Elise, with the hard top on, and it was not as loud as either other vehicle.
To recap:
In order of loudness: (#1 is the loudest)

1. 06 Elise NA (normally aspirated) with soft top on

2. 07 Exige S (S= supercharged) with hard top on

3. 05 Elise NA with hard top on

I would imagine that the Exige S with a soft top on would be slightly louder than the Elise with a soft top on, and the same for both vehicles with the top off.

Note also that all the aforementioned vehicles have not been de-snorkled.

2013 Camaro 1LE
2000 carrera c4 - sold
post #109 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 04:31 PM

bump

just posting a thank you for this thread.

No mechanical experience whatsoever, and I changed my own oil and filter, and installed a Larini 8 inch exhaust using only these instructions and the instructions from the "Sands Museums" collections. Literally me and my Ipad under the car for hours. Yes, the heat shielding under the driver's side hangers is annoying, but if I could do it, pretty much anyone can.

thx

vasracer
2006 Elise, Canyon Red, Sport/Touring, RTD brace, ss lines, Larini 8 inch, sport ECU, darthholder.
2009 Lexus RX 350
2009 Audi S5
post #110 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:42 AM

Does anyone have the template to cut out the diffuser? The link on here doesn't work.

I got the stage 2 setup installed with much trouble, took me maybe 45 mins.
post #111 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 AM

Hi,
I would like to install my Stage 3 Exhaust on my Exige S RGB in the next days. But I have got a question. In this tutorial on the starting post is that you have to slide the exhaust to the left side to seperate from cat pipe. But how? Do I have to loosen the cat first? For me it looks like I have to slide it to the right (access panel side) to seperate the pipes, but there is not enough space because of the heat shield. In another tutorial from Pistonheads, the heat shield is bend up to get more space, but I dont want to do this Is there another chance to get the exhaust out of the car without bending the heat shield?
Greatings from germany (sorry for my bad english)
post #112 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 01:42 AM

You'll have to remove the small panel AND bend the edges of the main heat-shield out of the way - it's the only way to pull the OEM silencer off the Cat pipe. Don't forget to put your boot into the 180deg Cat bend to hold it steady as you pull/twist. No harm is done to the heat-shield.
The Stg3 has a nice design quirk. The entry is off-set, the exit is central, so the perforated core-pipe is angled up to link the two.
The gas blows through the perf, pressurising the internals, which blows out the packing. In case you don't get enough drone from that, the angled perf pipe acts like a musical wind-instrument - guaranteed drone - nice exhaust note if you can live with it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapante View Post
Hi,
I would like to install my Stage 3 Exhaust on my Exige S RGB in the next days. But I have got a question. In this tutorial on the starting post is that you have to slide the exhaust to the left side to seperate from cat pipe. But how? Do I have to loosen the cat first? For me it looks like I have to slide it to the right (access panel side) to seperate the pipes, but there is not enough space because of the heat shield. In another tutorial from Pistonheads, the heat shield is bend up to get more space, but I dont want to do this Is there another chance to get the exhaust out of the car without bending the heat shield?
Greatings from germany (sorry for my bad english)

Performance exhausts for 2zz-ge Elise & Exige at
post #113 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bular View Post
The Stg3 has a nice design quirk. The entry is off-set, the exit is central, so the perforated core-pipe is angled up to link the two.
The gas blows through the perf, pressurising the internals, which blows out the packing. In case you don't get enough drone from that, the angled perf pipe acts like a musical wind-instrument - guaranteed drone - nice exhaust note if you can live with it though.
I opened my heavy used Stage 3 and refilled it new and wraped steel wool around the perforated core-pipe to reduce the diameter of the holes. A manufactor of Racing Motorcycle Exhausts does this work for me. We hope so that less packing is now blowing out. The original packing of the Stage 3 is not very good (no steel wool inside, huge holes in the perforated core-pipe and bad packing material). The oval tip is now high temperature ceramic coated.
Attached Images

post #114 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 02:02 PM

Does anyone have a downloadable and printable versus of the cutout? Couldnt find it on this thread.

Nm, found it....man the stage 2 is pretty tame at idle...but sheesh...screams when you go WOT....having second thoughts...

Last edited by Nessal; 08-14-2014 at 02:07 PM.
post #115 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:35 PM

Ok, having similar problems as prior poster did(5 years ago!): I cannot find a printable template to use to modify the diffuser for a stage 2. Can anyone please post a link to the template or let me know how to find it? Also: just want to confirm a 2.5 inch band clamp is what I need to buy to hook up my stage 2? Thanks!!!
Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Intake and Exhausts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in