'07 Exige S Thermostat - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

'07 Exige S Thermostat

Hi guys,

I need to change the dreaded thermostat in my Exige.
I have done this job before in my Elise but add a SC in the way and what PITA.

I have the alternator removed (well moved off to the side as best as possible) and I cannot for the life of me find/locate/or see the water line/thermostat housing.

Crazy question - did they relocate it elsewhere in the Exile or is it so buried under the SC?

Do I have to remove the SC (please tell me NO!!!).

Thanks,

Henry
'07 Exige S

Henry
'05 Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:22 AM

The thermostat is in the same location but it is a pain to get to. I have a Rev400 and had to largely remove the SC nose support bracket and then use a wobble and extension to get to the nut closest to the passenger rear wheel. The inboard nut I had to reach around and under the SC, which was the easier to remove. A bit of a frustrating job but doable without SC removal.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:32 AM

There is also the matter of vent tube no.1. @Zink do you have one in place or is it blanked off? It is possible to remove the top half of the tube to make some space.
@henrymfisher are you working with clam on or off? If the clam is off, I'd recommend just taking that supercharger off. Have you replaced the SC oil recently? If the clam is on, removing the nose bracket may be the way to go I guess, recalling that the bracket location is defined by the alternator.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2007 Exige S
Stripped down and turned into a track animal

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:03 AM

Good point @thebuzzard I have blanking plates over the vent tube but I gained access from underneath the engine, so not sure whether the tube would have created an access problem or not.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:48 AM

OHH good point, not sure how much of an access problem the vent adds, I don't have one in FYI (we have been talking via PM).

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:46 AM

Garage
I changed my thermostat out, and I have a BWR supercharger, a few months ago. I pulled the right rear wheel, then the wheel well liner, and was able to go in that way under the SC. Very tight and tedious but it works. Saved pulling the clam or SC so it was worth the extra effort. Put in an ALL Metal thermostat and all is good now. My car would not warm up due to the dreaded rubber ring coming off and lodging the plate open. Good luck!

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

First of all thanks for all of the suggestions and especially to KFennel.

The job was a serious PITA, but it is complete.

My car is an '07 Exige with AC. Passenger rear wheel liner out, motor mount out, bracket that supports motor mount out,
belt off, alternator out, vent tube unbolted off of motor and moved out of the way.

Now I finally had a hole large enough for my right arm to go through and bend and with a 1/4" 10mm socket, undid the two 10mm nuts.
One of the biggest issues was there are parts of the wiring harness that sits literally on top of the t-stat housing, but I finagled the housing off.

The last kick in the pants was the old t-stat (rubber center) was not torn or pulled off of the center steel section. I tested it and my new one on the stove. Both
opened up at 180 degrees. But now I have an new all steel unit in.

Waiting on my new front radiator GRP hoses while calm is off, then new rad goes in along with other bits up front and re-coolant the car.

It was a long day, but this part is done. Thanks again guys. Lotus Talk rules!!

Henry
'07 Exige S

Henry
'05 Elise
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:23 PM

Looking into a bunch of threads here as I'm moving into an '07 Exige S from a Porsche 997.

Is the thermostat issue a common problem? I'll have the car at Lotus West for a complete service before I take delivery. Is the thermostat something you want to proactively have done on a 13k mile car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in