1zz Oil Pan? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

1zz Oil Pan?

I stumbled across a YouTube video that recommended changing the 2zz oil pan that doesn't(?) have baffling to the 1zz pan that has a windage tray. I find it hard to believe a car that's designed for track use would have a problem with oil starvation due to lack of baffling. Say it ain't so.

I have a '07 Exige and have been searching the forum about this baffling issue. I did find a thread that asked the question about baffling, but didn't see an answer.

Does my '07 have baffles? The video that recommended changing the 2zz pan to 1zz showed a modification had to be made to the 1zz tray to fit onto a 2zz motor.

I'm not a track rat so don't want to pay $500+ for a Moroso

I'm baffled. Has anybody figured this out for sure?

Thanks

Last edited by gillam; 05-24-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:27 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillam View Post
I stumbled across a YouTube video that recommended changing the 2zz oil pan that doesn't(?) have baffling to the 1zz pan that has a windage tray. I find it hard to believe a car that's designed for track use would have a problem with oil starvation due to lack of baffling. Say it ain't so.

I have a '07 Exige and have been searching the forum about this baffling issue. I did find a thread that asked the question about baffling, but didn't see an answer.

Does my '07 have baffles? The video that recommended changing the 2zz pan to 1zz showed a modification had to be made to the 1zz tray to fit onto a 2zz motor.

I'm not a track rat so don't want to pay $500+ for a Moroso

I'm baffled. Has anybody figured this out for sure?

Thanks
You don't need to be a track rat to be concerned about oil starvation during aggressive cornering. The aftermarket pans also increase oil capacity. Cheap insurance IMHO.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:19 AM

Oil starvation seems to be track related.

I might be starting to see a trend in the oil temp thread that the larger alloy pans keep oil temps low, but I cannot confirm that as of yet.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Since readers don't know about baffling in the Lotus 2zz pan, I went back to the YouTube video referenced previously and looked at the comment section. Found this to be somewhat interesting. The YouTube I'm referring to can be found here:

One comment I thought was interesting:

From Toyota "The oil pan itself is without a baffle. This quickens the return of oil into the oil pan, increasing performance. Air suction was minimized by optimally positioning the suction pipe inlet"

The 2ZZ-GE can withstand 1.0G without sucking air."The problem with this is that many of the 2zz cars can pull 1.0G+ with good grip tires. And we know that the 2zz has had numerous issues in the oiling department. Which is why Lotus opted to use Accusump to keep oil pressure constant.
-------------END-------------------------

My "spirited" (Advan tires) driving in mountain canyons probably won't produce g forces over 1g? From what I've read, .9g is typical on the track with standard tires. I guess I shouldn't worry about the baffling. Are my assumptions correct? Of course, you can always fall back to better safe than sorry.

Clearly, keeping the sump topped off is important.....

Last edited by gillam; 05-31-2019 at 08:12 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:42 PM

Interesting i wonder if there is a downside to the 1ZZ pan
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
Interesting i wonder if there is a downside to the 1ZZ pan
The 1ZZ pan looks a lot like the 5S pan. The 1ZZ is a ~6K RPM engine, as is the 5S.

Looking at the pan, I'd guess that pooling on the slosh baffle/windage tray at high RPM was a concern. That, or maybe cylinder windage pumping volume issues. With an installed height limitation (longitudinal mounting crossmember on Toyotas) they couldn't put the sump down any further, so the best option was just to take the welded in windage tray out and hope things stratified. I'd be curious to see what TRD elected to do on their own 'works special' 2zz cars.

In any case, we have our choice of at least two good gated pans for the 2ZZ. I would certainly install one before a track day, and wouldn't dare do track time on R compound tires without.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:58 PM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
In any case, we have our choice of at least two good gated pans for the 2ZZ. I would certainly install one before a track day, and wouldn't dare do track time on R compound tires without.
It looks like the OP is in Colorado, you can hit over 1g at HPR or Pueblo with plenty of tires let alone R compounds.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:48 PM

I run the Moroso baffled pan on my '07 Exige S
Never gave it a second thought since I think it is cheap insurance against oil starvation.

I found the Moroso unit on ebay for around $400 brand new. Removing the old unit and installing
the new one with some liquid gasket sealant was easy and straight forward.

Henry
'07 Exige S

Henry
'05 Elise
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymfisher View Post
I run the Moroso baffled pan on my '07 Exige S
Never gave it a second thought since I think it is cheap insurance against oil starvation.

I found the Moroso unit on ebay for around $400 brand new. Removing the old unit and installing
the new one with some liquid gasket sealant was easy and straight forward.
This. It's cheap (cost of a good detailing job) and easy. We don't have the cradle crossmember, so you're literally looking up at the entire oil pan once you have removed the engine access panel. BTW, while the pan is off is the easiest time to do something to the oil cooler sandwich plate and fit a pressure sender, too. I got my car with a gPan on it, so not my problem, but given how well a Lotus sticks, you really want a decent pan on the engine if you start cornering it hard.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Since posting the question about the lack of baffling in the 2zz, I've decided to go with a baffled pan at some point in the future while keeping a close eye on the oil level. Still can't justify $500 for a oil pan when I don't track the car. I'll be watching ebay for a used pan. There are other things I'd like to spend money on before the oil pan.

I decided to pass on the 1zz pan since the 2zz motor already has a windage tray attached to the bottom of the block.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillam View Post
Since posting the question about the lack of baffling in the 2zz, I've decided to go with a baffled pan at some point in the future while keeping a close eye on the oil level. Still can't justify $500 for a oil pan when I don't track the car. I'll be watching ebay for a used pan. There are other things I'd like to spend money on before the oil pan.

I decided to pass on the 1zz pan since the 2zz motor already has a windage tray attached to the bottom of the block.
How are you going to "keep a close eye on the oil level" during a high G corner? I know you're guessing about you're cornering rates, but this thread isn't about losing oil, it's about oil pickup/starvation during spirited cornering.

Your first post sounded like you had already decided you didn't want to spend any money on a baffled oil pan, and the post I'm quoting says the same thing, almost verbatim.

Normally I'd cue up comments about people buying sports cars and worrying about their fuel economy and what tire will last the longest while hypermiling, but what's the point? Someone will chime in that a Tesla doesn't need a baffled whatever, and that plastic tweels are the future blah, blah, blah.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in