Base car to Cup car, the evolution of my Exige. - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Supporting Vendor

Andrew, looking good. The best thing about this car hobby is that we each get to do what we want to our cars. I suspect your car will be better finished than an actual Cup car. So maybe you simply need to state that you have been 'inspired' by the Cup car....
VisualEchos likes this.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
looks nice, how are you attaching the 4 pots to the rear? custom braket? front uprights moved to the rear?
Thanks.

I have 3 options for attaching the 7624 caliper to the rear. The first one is to use the standard bracket that comes with it in conjunction with the BOE 2-pot relocation bracket, and an additional small spacer. The second is to use modified AP 330 brackets. And lastly, to have fully custom brackets made. For price, and safety I'll probably have custom brackets made.

One way or the other, they are going on there, safely.

2006 Exige

Last edited by VisualEchos; 04-12-2018 at 05:27 PM.
post #23 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 04:59 PM

I bet drilling the rear clam was an emotional moment.. Omg what am I doing?, if I screw this up..., this is the greatest thing I've ever done!..

Got any pictures how the kill and fire switches are mounted in the clam? Do they just bolt to the clam or are there brackets inside the engine bay?

Cool transformation..... You're gonna get out on the track with us eventually after all this
VisualEchos likes this.

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix

post #24 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Andrew, looking good. The best thing about this car hobby is that we each get to do what we want to our cars. I suspect your car will be better finished than an actual Cup car. So maybe you simply need to state that you have been 'inspired' by the Cup car....
Probably .

And thanks for the advice/help/parts you've helped me with, much appreciation sir.

2006 Exige
post #25 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post
I bet drilling the rear clam was an emotional moment.. Omg what am I doing?, if I screw this up..., this is the greatest thing I've ever done!..

Got any pictures how the kill and fire switches are mounted in the clam? Do they just bolt to the clam or are there brackets inside the engine bay?

Cool transformation..... You're gonna get out on the track with us eventually after all this
I too would like to know about those mounts.
post #26 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post

You know, I had seen that moment in my head for years, so when it was finally there, it didn't bother me a bit.

Of course, I was super prepared as well, had all the measurements down to the mm, and the right tools, which helps.

The rings mount straight to the face of the car with a cup in the back. I used hex bolts and nuts on the back, although the originals mounted via rivnuts.

The clam is curved there, yet the rings are straight, so I stacked pieces of cut gasket at the top and the bottom to make them fit proper.

I always said I'd never track my car, that's a rich man's game, but now I'm not so sure. It might just happen when I'm all done.

2006 Exige
post #27 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett View Post
I too would like to know about those mounts.
Here's a pic of the cups, the big one in the foreground and small one in the background. In between the ring and cup would be the clam.

2006 Exige
post #28 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

For those wondering, the entire process of getting the external rings was a HUGE saga that took more than a year to get resolved completely. I won't bore you guys with the details, but suffice it to say that my set is the only one of its kind, and fully custom in several ways.

2006 Exige
post #29 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Subscribed - as much for the conversion as for the photography... Both are outstanding!!

John D.
VisualEchos likes this.

'07 Exige S
& a few P'cars..
post #30 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. View Post
Subscribed - as much for the conversion as for the photography... Both are outstanding!!

John D.
Thanks bro. A shot for you.

Proud Papa
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
John D. likes this.

2006 Exige
post #31 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Some clarification on the calipers/brackets for you guys wondering, I've had several guys ask.

The caliper on the LEFT is the new 7635 caliper used on the 2007+ Exige S supercharged cars. You can always tell this caliper because it's gloss black, and the logo isn't debossed. This caliper does not require an adapter to fit the 308mm rotor.

The caliper on the RIGHT is the old 7624 caliper used on the Cup 240/255 cars. This is a true motorsport caliper, and requires an adapter to fit. It's semi-gloss black, and has a debossed logo. It's made to fit the 308mm rotor.

Fit/finish/build quality between the two are night and day. I literally wouldn't even own the new 7635, they were sent to me by mistake.

**NOTE the 7635 is propped up on the 7624's adapter, but does not take this adapter, it was just for the photo.

The 7624

The 7635

The 7624 and its adapter/spacer/bracket, whatever you want to call it.

Bracket installed on the 7624.

The 7624 bracket by itself.

New 7635 on the left, old 7624 on the right.

In this shot you can clearly see how the adapter has literally been made into the new 7635 caliper on the left.

Bracket installed.

Just a shot of the banjo fitting on the back of the 7624.
John D. likes this.

2006 Exige
post #32 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:06 PM

Garage
Superb!
VisualEchos likes this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #33 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:57 PM

wowwwwwwwwwww
VisualEchos likes this.
post #34 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:12 PM

lovely evocotive photography.. very nice..

what sparco steering wheel is that ? 300mm? looks like it may fit my standard non a/b 2001 elise
VisualEchos likes this.
post #35 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
For those wondering, the entire process of getting the external rings was a HUGE saga that took more than a year to get resolved completely. I won't bore you guys with the details, but suffice it to say that my set is the only one of its kind, and fully custom in several ways.
So Lotus does not offer this as a kit?
post #36 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post
lovely evocotive photography.. very nice..

what sparco steering wheel is that ? 300mm? looks like it may fit my standard non a/b 2001 elise
It's the P300. The only difference is that the Sparco logo is yellow, and the new ones are white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett View Post
So Lotus does not offer this as a kit?
No, not at all, they are all individual parts. There are 2 different versions. The old version was purely for motorsport use, and had a larger ring for the kill switch. That's the one I wanted, as it's got that iconic Cup 240/255 look.

The new version is actually a road version, and has covers than can be installed for street use. The rings are both the same size on these, and just have buttons inside them.

With the covers installed...

Without the covers...

2006 Exige
post #37 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 07:33 AM

An original Snap-Off QR assembly is about 2-3/4" tall. That with the Sparco, seems like it would be the same distance to the driver as the standard wheel.

Great looking car !
Attached Images

VisualEchos likes this.
post #38 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 07 View Post
An original Snap-Off QR assembly is about 2-3/4" tall. That with the Sparco, seems like it would be the same distance to the driver as the standard wheel.

Great looking car !
I measured these distances at one time, I just don't remember the exact distances. But this is the order of closest to the driver.

USA MoMo with quick release
Sparco with quick release
UK Nardi with quick release
USA MoMo
Sparco with standard hub
UK Nardi

I think 2.5" total between them, IIRC, but when there is no rake adjustment, every little bit helps. I hate driving a car with my elbow's low, I'm not endurance racing!

2006 Exige
post #39 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Brand new 315mm original Cup car wheel with custom black alcantara from the Lotus Trim Shop

2006 Exige

Last edited by VisualEchos; 04-13-2018 at 09:55 AM.
post #40 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:29 AM

Garage
Love the wheel, and this whole project is the best I have ever seen. I just wonder about not having an airbag. That wheel is designed to work with cage, 6 point harness, and HANS
VisualEchos likes this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in