Base car to Cup car, the evolution of my Exige. - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
Love the wheel, and this whole project is the best I have ever seen. I just wonder about not having an airbag. That wheel is designed to work with cage, 6 point harness, and HANS
Thanks for the compliments.

The Cup steering wheel wasn't made to work with other safety devices, other than the standard seat-belt, it appears on all of the earlier and some Elise/Exige cars. Second, I don't believe the airbag does much good in most accidents, if you're wearing your seat-belt. Some will argue with me on this point, as any additional safety device is usually a good thing, but airbags were originally created for people NOT wearing a seat-belt. In recent years they are referred to as SRS, or supplemental restraint systems, but I've never had a need for one in my 47 years.

In any case, it's just part of owning the car, and I definitely feel safer than riding my old sport bike .

2006 Exige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Brand new original Cup car wheel with custom black alcantara from the Lotus Trim Shop

This is whats fitted to my elise... its lovely, tiny in fact.., the perimeter is allot thinner your sparco. but for sure a lovey wheel to wrestle with

looking forward to seeing that fited
VisualEchos likes this.

Last edited by Andrew James; 04-13-2018 at 01:41 PM.
post #43 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:17 AM

Garage
Non NA cars had them, but I believe any Federalized car had to have at least one airbag.

There are long discussions on here from years ago about not crossing components of the street and track safety systems. I don’t get the Elise out much but I still have a cage and six point harness and removable Sparco wheel. Deff worse than what you are doing.

But I still maintain the the three point street belt system is designed for us to pivot forward into an air bag with a sudden forward g force (crash!). As a Dentist, we don’t see busted out front teeth from steering wheels much any more, but people over 60 tell stories of such when I ask how they lost their front teeth.

When I drove the 1974 Europa, my body was a collapsible protector for the chassis.

Apologies if I detracted from this fabulous project. Hope to see her at some LOG
VisualEchos likes this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500

post #44 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
Non NA cars had them, but I believe any Federalized car had to have at least one airbag.

There are long discussions on here from years ago about not crossing components of the street and track safety systems. I donít get the Elise out much but I still have a cage and six point harness and removable Sparco wheel. Deff worse than what you are doing.

But I still maintain the the three point street belt system is designed for us to pivot forward into an air bag with a sudden forward g force (crash!)

When I drove the 1974 Europa, my body was a collapsible protector for the chassis.

Apologies if I detracted from this fabulous project. Hope to see her at some LOG
Yes, you are correct, to be legal in the USA the car must come from the factory with an airbag. However, it's legal to remove the airbag, as long as you inform your insurance company.

If you are properly belted in, you shouldn't ever touch the bag in an accident (unless you sit REALLY close to the steering wheel).

However, the front of the car could be crushed so hard that it pushes the inflated bag into you, saving you from having a really bad day. I don't have that safety measure, but driving my car is still safer than riding a motorcycle!

2006 Exige
post #45 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
It's the P300. The only difference is that the Sparco logo is yellow, and the new ones are white.

No, not at all, they are all individual parts. There are 2 different versions. The old version was purely for motorsport use, and had a larger ring for the kill switch. That's the one I wanted, as it's got that iconic Cup 240/255 look.

The new version is actually a road version, and has covers than can be installed for street use. The rings are both the same size on these, and just have buttons inside them.

With the covers installed...

Without the covers...
Iíve always loved the look of the cup cars too with those external switches. Excuse my ignorance, but why would you need both internal and external switches? Also how does the fire suppression system work? And where do you mount that big red tank thing in the car? Sorry for the stupid questions.
post #46 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett View Post
Iíve always loved the look of the cup cars too with those external switches. Excuse my ignorance, but why would you need both internal and external switches? Also how does the fire suppression system work? And where do you mount that big red tank thing in the car? Sorry for the stupid questions.
The external switches are just for the track officials, in the event that the driver is not able to use them.

The fire suppression system is an electrical type, so once the button is pushed, the agent is pushed through hoses that end in nozzles at various points on the car.

NOT stupid questions!

The tank is mounted in the passenger's side footwell, like the picture below. But mine will be forward of this location, like the new ones, where the passenger footrest would normally be.

2006 Exige
post #47 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Mine will be mounted here, like on the new V6 cars.

2006 Exige
post #48 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 09:11 PM

Garage
Those brakes look amazing, but are you sure they were OEM on the 2007+ Exige S? I have an 07 Exige S and it has the same calipers as my Elise.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #49 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:43 PM
rnr

Quote:
If you are properly belted in, you shouldn't ever touch the bag in an accident (unless you sit REALLY close to the steering wheel).
You are 100% wrong about how airbags work with 3 point seatbelts. Seatbelts stretch in an impact and you WILL hit the steering wheel in a hard impact without an airbag. Just look at this video of Toyota crash tests - most of the dummies are wearing seat belts and still hit the airbags.

6 point harnesses on the other hand will prevent you from hitting the wheel but without a HANS as well you are at risk of basilar skull fracture instead.
XHILR8N! and Spirit_R like this.

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
V8 Stalker (Seven Replica)
02 Dodge Viper GTS
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #50 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
The external switches are just for the track officials, in the event that the driver is not able to use them.

The fire suppression system is an electrical type, so once the button is pushed, the agent is pushed through hoses that end in nozzles at various points on the car.

NOT stupid questions!

The tank is mounted in the passenger's side footwell, like the picture below. But mine will be forward of this location, like the new ones, where the passenger footrest would normally be.

How many nozzles do the cup cars have and how many nozzles are you planning to install? And where are the locations of these nozzles? And will it be difficult to run all these hoses throughout the car? Iím very curious about this because I may end up installing this system one day in my car.
post #51 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarov View Post
Those brakes look amazing, but are you sure they were OEM on the 2007+ Exige S? I have an 07 Exige S and it has the same calipers as my Elise.
I think they appeared on the 2008 cars here in the USA, but every country was different. I've seen a stock 2007 Exige S with the 308mm 2-piece rotors and 7624 calipers. As was many times the case, sometimes Lotus made special cars, and also used what was available.

Quote:
How many nozzles do the cup cars have and how many nozzles are you planning to install? And where are the locations of these nozzles? And will it be difficult to run all these hoses throughout the car? Iím very curious about this because I may end up installing this system one day in my car.
The system comes with 4 nozzles, the blue bits shown in the first pic below. 2 were below the dash, pointed towards the seats, and 2 were in the engine bay (one pointed at the intake side of the engine, the other pointed at the exhaust). The nozzles were originally red, as shown in the Lotus pdf pix. You could install them wherever you prefer, though, it's a simple system of tubing.

Originally, one actually came out of the dash plate itself, but few cars are like this.

2006 Exige
post #52 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post
You are 100% wrong about how airbags work with 3 point seatbelts. Seatbelts stretch in an impact and you WILL hit the steering wheel in a hard impact without an airbag. Just look at this video of Toyota crash tests - most of the dummies are wearing seat belts and still hit the airbags.

6 point harnesses on the other hand will prevent you from hitting the wheel but without a HANS as well you are at risk of basilar skull fracture instead.
Not to turn this into a discussion about seatbelts and safety, as I think we are all riding that line pretty close owning such a car, but I stand by my comments. The Toyota video you posted is extreme, with the dummies sitting very close to the wheel, and very hard crashes. So in those instances, I agree, the driver is going to intersect the wheel.

2006 Exige
post #53 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 06:59 AM

Another question about the fire suppression system: are the nozzles zoned for cabin area vs engine bay area? Or if you press the button then all four nozzles are activated?
post #54 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Another question about the fire suppression system: are the nozzles zoned for cabin area vs engine bay area? Or if you press the button then all four nozzles are activated?
They are all identical. And yes, pressing the button routes the agent everywhere. I suspect that, for the street, you could probably just put all 4 nozzles in the engine bay.

2006 Exige
post #55 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Found a better pic of the fire suppression nozzles that go under the dash.

2006 Exige
post #56 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:17 PM
eas

Quote:
Thanks bro. A shot for you.

Proud Papa
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Love the thread! Let us know how you tackle the rear brakes, I want the same setup all around too. PM if you know the best place to source the front/rear brake setups pls.

Great work and photos!
VisualEchos likes this.
post #57 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eas View Post
Love the thread! Let us know how you tackle the rear brakes, I want the same setup all around too. PM if you know the best place to source the front/rear brake setups pls.

Great work and photos!
Thanks man. Still tackling all this stuff, but I'm going to make it work, one way or the other.

I'm going to leave the stock e-brake for the moment, but will be swapping for a lighter solution in future. I was first going to ditch it altogether, but I find that I use it quite a bit.

2006 Exige
post #58 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Almost enough lighting to where I don't need a drop light .

New Shop Lights.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
rb26dett and Gokart3 like this.

2006 Exige
post #59 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 06:01 PM

Andrew, do you mind sharing how much you spent on the fire suppression system and the kill switch? Or you can pm me please. Thanks
post #60 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Andrew, do you mind sharing how much you spent on the fire suppression system and the kill switch? Or you can pm me please. Thanks
I'll PM you.

2006 Exige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in