Bringing an Exige S back from the dead -- (re)build thread - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
My Stebel Nautilus horn (Amazon) is very good.
Did that require any extra wiring? I'd love something plug and play if possible.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
SS lines are a definite, good call there.

For puller fans, i will double check later, but i believe you will want two 8" SPAL pullers, they are pretty in expensive and you will do a little super simple wiring taking the OEM harness and putting it on new fans.

The 3 piece gold resistors were the DIY make your own resistor pack...I did the same thing. The OEM pack is like $150, the gold resistors are about $20...ebay they are about $7 for a similar set up.

I bought a salvaged title elise about 4 years ago with the intention of building a turbo elise out of it. I officially started the dissembly last winter and I am hoping to start the engine reassembly next weekend. New internals for a lot more power, reliability, and fixing all the little things on the car, like you are.

I need to start doing a write up like you...i just know mine will take a bit longer than you will. I am doing my own body and paint work as well. Wanted to learn as much as i could....but i also have a large garage to store it all in.
I had actually bought an OEM resistor pack thinking I'd need to replace it, but mine already had the gold 3 piece ones so I ended up selling it to another user on here. Mine appears to be this kit from eliseparts:

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/...-control-unit/

I say that because it's mounted on the inside of the heater box just like that.

You definitely should document the build. It's a good record of the history of the car for the future and people (like yourself) have been chiming in with a bunch of helpful tips. Lucky that you have a good sized garage to do this. The garage I'm working in is a standard 2 car (with a lift) but it's also a 40 minute drive from my house so I can't just sneak down to the garage after my kids go to bed and do little bits at a time.

post #63 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 09:31 AM

Garage
Mine was near plug and play. I will try to get you info.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold

post #64 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 10:19 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarov View Post
Did that require any extra wiring? I'd love something plug and play if possible.
Depends on whom you ask.

I used stock wiring and put a one size up fuse in box.

SirLotus says to run new wire w/more capacity & use existing wires to trigger relay.

He's right in as much that if I lean on the horn for a few minutes, problem could arise.

I can't imagine that behavior, but guess that horn could possibly get stuck.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #65 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 03:02 PM

So the deal is, the wiring going to the fuse is large enough for the load, but the wire going from the fuse to the horn is not.

I used one of those add a fuse widgets and ran a new wire to the new horn

For several reasons I would like to get a hold of the actual crimp connectors that go in the fusebox that would make it a neater install.

If anyone knows the name/nomenclature for the fusebox connectors, let me know.
post #66 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Been pretty busy lately and haven’t had a lot of time to work on the car.

I forgot to post about getting the AC condenser and radiator mounted back into the radiator shroud piece. That was pretty straightforward once you get all the brackets and nut plates figured out and in the right spots.

The Koyorad radiator from Gregs Race Parts looks so nice! Sorry I forgot to get a picture!

Did some work yesterday too, but neglected to take any pictures as the work wasn’t really that exciting.

Mainly what we accomplished were simply getting things prepped for reinstall. The paint on the tow hook and the oil cooler brackets (all of which are painted black) was flaking off. So I spent some time wire wheeling these parts down to the metal, priming them, and repainting them.

Like I said, not too exciting.

I need to find some more time to work on this over the holidays!

I think the plan now is to get all the “skeletal” parts of the front end finished up, then move onto the engine swap, then switch back to the front end for the clamshell replacement/repair. As the engine comes together I’ll probably order the clam and have it shipped directly to my painter so that it’ll be ready to go.

I also found this thread (from @exigegus ) about the oil cooler stuff so now I’m debating if I should even bother reinstalling the coolers, or just doing one or what.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157...ooling-395394/

post #67 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:13 PM
craigyirush

I need a new rad so am curious why you chose the Koyorad from GRP and not a proalloy?

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #68 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
I need a new rad so am curious why you chose the Koyorad from GRP and not a proalloy?
They actually seemed quite comparable to each other and were similar in price. The reason I ordered from GRP actually was that Greg was super helpful on a Facebook lotus thread (in the Lotus Owners Group) awhile back, giving me a ton of free advice and answering my questions. I wasn't his customer and he helped me out so I became a customer!
craigyirush likes this.

post #69 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry for the radio silence….

I felt like that last few times I worked on the car, I ended up not making much progress and didn’t really feel like posting about my ineffective work. Part of this is because everytime I look at the car, I see one or two more things that are sort of like “well, while everything is apart I might as well…” It’s like a bottomless spiral but I have to start saying no and focus on just getting this car back together.

April will be the 1 year anniversary of owning it, so I definitely want it finished by then!

But today I felt like we hit a milestone in the fact that the front end is finished minus the clam.

So what do I mean by that? Well, literally everything at the front end is back together and ready for a new clam to go on. But the car also needs an engine replacement, so I think we’ll switch gears to the back end of the car and do the front clam absolutely last (less chance of it getting knocked around in our small garage, etc.)

Quick summary of what we’ve done to this place (front end work only):
- Replaced crash structure
- New koyorad radiator
- New SS brake lines
- Repaired various cracks/small bits of damage on the radiator shrouds
- New AC dryer (got to do this when you depressurize the system)
- New AC line o-rings
- Oil coolers and lines removed (switching to a laminova setup)
- HVAC resistor pack TSB done (already had the upgraded resistor pack)
- New horn (Hella 500 mhz, same as I have on my Elise -- 6amps so can use the stock wiring)
- Repainted tow hook support
- General cleaning and tidying things up as it was apart

Here are a few pics:

Replacement horn

Front SS lines

Rear SS lines

AC lines attached

Ready for a clam

post #70 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The laminova setup arrived! Ordered this kit from Elise-spares.com for about $500 + shipping. One fitting was a little oxidized or something so they're going to send another one.

post #71 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry for more radio silence here. Not much to report other than the clam is in the process of being repaired.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, neither @munozt nor I had the time, space, or energy to repair the damaged clam so we were planning to just order the OEM-style one from elise-parts.com (only $1800!), have it shipped to the US and painted.

We figured:

$1800 clam
$1000 shipping
$1500 prep and paint
$400 import taxes

So all told, $4700 for a new, non-OEM (but close) clam -- or at least that WAS the plan.

I had gotten a few estimates to repair it from $5000-$9000, so clearly the new one was a better option. But Tony used to race motorcycles and reached out to his old motorcycle fiberglass guy who agreed to do the repair (and paint) for $3000 all in. Suddenly, getting it repaired was back on the table.

@rustyb also donated an OEM front splitter to the cause, thank you! It was like Santa came a few weeks early.

Will post some pics once we have it back.

post #72 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 04:13 AM

Thanks for the continued updates. This thread is a great read.

Did I understand correctly that you've finally settled on replacing the engine instead of fixing the one that is in the car? This mean's that the rear clam is coming off, right?

I was wondering about the possible source of oil starvation in the original engine. For some reason I have it in my head that the OE oil pump gear (coupled to the crank?) is a weak spot that breaks when it gets sudden shock (like, maybe during an accident). I wonder if oil pump failure is a cause for the seized cam, alternate to the broken oil cooler on that engine. When you finally get the project finished do you plan to dig into the original engine further?
chiarov likes this.
post #73 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Man, I can't even think about doing more work after it's finished (e.g. digging into the root cause on the original engine). But yeah, maybe!

At the moment, you're right -- the plan is to do an engine swap. As you might have seen in some of the pics, we already have another 2ZZ block sitting around.

Although I don't know whether your hypothesis is correct about the OE oil pump gear being a weak point on these engines, it certainly seems plausible based on what the original owner told me about the accident. As he described it to me, after the accident, they pulled the car to the side of the road and the engine was still running at the time. But somehow it ended up with a seized cam between then and the time it got to the shop so it does seem entirely reasonable that a physical impact could have damaged the oil pump gear somehow, caused oil starvation, and thus the cam seizure.

Also replacing the entire engine gives me some more piece of mind if this is an issue!

post #74 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm sort of embarrassed at the lack of progress I've made on this project lately!

I was traveling a bit for work and personal trips so that ate up a big chunk of February and March. But here are a few things I managed to get done:

1 - Finished unbolting the rear clam. But I was working on it solo that day and it was just too big and awkward to try to remove by myself. But everything should be loose now to take that off. Luckily the previous owner had put some holes in the rear firewall interior panel so I was able to get at those bolts with a long extension. Unfortunately though, I dropped one of them down into the clam area behind the side intake. Hopefully when I get the clam off I can find it.

2 - Removed the chassis supports. These were in pretty bad shape so I'm sending them out to get powder coated.

3 - Wired up the harness for the radio. I stripped out the C.A.R.S system that was in the vehicle when I acquired it so this was just a little side activity to get the radio functional again for later. The car isn't at my home, so I tend to find little jobs I can take home with me to do in the evenings after my kids go to sleep.

4 - Wrapped the front splitter. @rustyb was kind enough to donate an old Exige splitter he had laying around (Thank you!) and rather than paint it, I wrapped it. Well, I should say I tried to wrap it myself but it's a lot harder than YouTube makes it look! Ended up taking it to a local shop and they made it look great.

Hopefully I can make some real progress on the engine swap soon.

post #75 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Been awhile since I updated this thread as I haven't had time to do much on the car lately. But a couple of accomplishments.

1 - Finally got the front clam back from the painter today! Fully repaired and looks great. Will probably get a full vinyl film applied before it goes back on the car rather than the OEM starshield.

2 - I bought a complete engine from @Kyleclark81 - figured this would be simpler than either repairing the one in the car or assembling the short block that we had sitting in the garage. It seemed like a good deal and would allow us to skip some headaches.

3 - Had the rear chassis support bars powdered coated. Those turned out looking great. Scroll up for before pics, chipped paint and showing some surface rust!

4 - I also got a little OCD while the supercharger was off the car and gave it a good cleaning.

5 - I ordered an LSD also, but Quaife is backordered. They offered to do the TRD one for the same price (though typically more expensive). Though was also considering the Mfactory which all of the BMW guys seem to swear by. Thoughts or opinions on the differential choices?

post #76 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Something good got delivered at work last week...

post #77 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Not sure if I had to remove the hatch before the rear clam, but it certainly seemed easier with that already off.

post #78 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And then it's pretty easy to lift the clam off, especially if you have help.

post #79 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Naked rear end...no not that kind. But the engine and transmission should be easy to remove now.

post #80 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And given that these were backordered for months (ok, yes I know given the pace of this project that shouldn't matter!) I decided to try to bend them back into shape. They need to be painted though and a number of folks had said to powdercoat them for better durability, especially given that they're glued into the clam and it'd be a bit of a pain to repaint them frequently from rock chips.

Any other good options? Truck bedliner spray? VHT spraypaint baked in a BBQ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in