Yesterday was a pretty big day and we hit another milestone on the car of getting it's new heart installed.
We started the day transferring over the one wiring harness from the original engine to the replacement engine. Since the original car is a 2007 Exige S with the drive-by-wire throttle and the new donate engine came out of a 2005 Elise NA, we needed to include the original harness. Plus, the original harness had been modified for the BOE300 kit and we didn't really want to re-do all that work.
So, we painstakingly removed the old one and transferred the new one over. Then took a little bit of time to clean up some dodgy crimp connectors and stuff done by the previous owner and add some heat shrink and electrical tape to clean things up. However, we still found two random disconnected wires that we're not sure what they go to. Someone in the Facebook group said they're "Original wires for MAP component of the tmap sensor. Not referenced on Exige S or REV." so I guess maybe they don't need to be connected to anything.
Then we moved onto the clutch and flywheel. The plan was to get the engine and transmission mounted and then drop the whole assembly into the car. The previous owner had included a brand new ACT clutch when I bought the car, so we already had that kit. We prepped the flywheel surface and got busy installing it with new ARP bolts. Then the clutch and pressure plate went on. So now we've got a new clutch, cryo treated gears, and a quaife LSD! Should be a nice setup for this car.
Then new throw-out bearing, which was included in the clutch kit:
Then we finally got the transmission attached to the engine and properly torqued all the bolts. We put the whole thing on the hoist and crossed our fingers that it'd support all that weight! At this point we debated whether we install the laminova oil cooler before we put in the engine or not. But, the problem was we didn't know precisely where to mount it so that the included lines would reach, so we decided to put in the engine, attached the lines, and install the laminova afterwards once we knew how far the lines would reach. Yeah it would have been easier with the engine out but hopefully this will ensure we put it in the right place.
Lots of strain on that eye bolt, we were watching it closely!
Maneuvering this beast into place wasn't easy! We had to move the jack stands to clear the legs of the hoist, and then we had to remove various engine mounts to get it to clear everything. Even doing that, it was rotated to far back towards the firewall so we just had to mess with it until we got it orientated pretty close and then we started attaching various engine mounts which helped to get everything aligned. Plus a floor jack to push it around a little bit.
End of the long day and it was installed, woo hoo!
We still need to do the rear engine mount though because the threads into the transmission for one bolt were messed up and we need to do a helicoil to fix it but we didn't have any. It was already 10pm so no luck going out to get what we needed to fix that until the next day.
Anyway, it felt great to get this part done, but still a lot to do before the WCLM. Not sure if the car will be ready by then or not, but just happy we're making some progress after a long break!