The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Door pull "cup" removal?

13K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  durden 
#1 ·
I've got some carbon fiber door pulls and have no idea as to how they come off the car. (they're the plastic part that's at the top of the door you'd grab to pull it closed.)

Do I basically rip them off and RTV them back on, or is there a clip system I don't see?

Thanks,
Alan

See less See more
#3 ·
I bought them from Carbon John, a former vendor of the site. Due to long lead times, most people aren't recommending him, but if you can deal with the long lead times...

Extended wait times aside, the quality of the product is pretty damn high. Can't wait to get them in the car, once I figure out how. :D

#7 ·
maybe you have to remove them from inside the door. take the panel off and look in there. there are 5 screws, the 4 silver at the top and 1 black one facing inside towards the door handle (bottom corner) It's held in place by velcro and pegs.

#9 ·
They are glued in, and are a major pain to remove.

My elise had a crack in one - I replaced it myself.

I'd invite you to be creative, but my method was to basically shave it off with a razor knife on tiny messy bit at a time. It was tedious and messy.

I applied the new one using 3m's grey sticky emblem tape. Clean the surfaces well and wiggle /w pressure and it should stay for a very long time.

#10 ·
Thanks. I don't plan on saving the old ones (they're fairly inexpensive), so I guess I'll just cut a hole in from the top - checking carefully to be sure nothing below! - to gain a little more leverage/access. Do you think mild heat would soften the adhesive?

#11 ·
I've got a heat gun, if you guys think it'll help.

I think Shay2Nak has the right idea. I need to adjust the window anyway, so this will be two birds and one stone.

I'll report back my findings with some pics if I can get it done in the next day or two. :)

#14 ·
My stock ones are both cracked.

I took a putty knife that was a little over an inch wide and sharpened the (end) edge so I could slip it under the pull edge from the top instead of going inside the door. It cut though the rubbery adhesive pretty well. I tried using a heat gun, but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference. Once the piece is off, I can trim off the excess and glue down the new one.

By the way, the old pull was pretty much destroyed in removing it.

Not sure which adhesive, but leaning to normal silicone sealant. I am putting carbon replacements and there is a lot of open area between the door top and the pull. So, I might put a few globs in to fill some of the void before trying the final glue down.

#15 ·
Not sure which adhesive, but leaning to normal silicone sealant. I am putting carbon replacements and there is a lot of open area between the door top and the pull. So, I might put a few globs in to fill some of the void before trying the final glue down.
Where did you get the carbon replacements? Is the material that much stronger that the originals?

I only have cracks in the driver handle.

#25 ·
Has anyone tried running fishing line or floss all around and under the edges of the pull to break the adhesive?

#21 ·
No no no. You don't have to cut them out. I replaced mine years ago with leather ones from the original Lotus Trim Shop. Use a trim tool. If you don't have one put a towel between the tool and the door. If you're ambitious, remove the door card and push up from inside.

#24 ·
A sharpened puddy knife worked for me.
Put them on with silicone sealer.Do not
Try to pull off,paint may come off!!!

#28 ·
A sharp putty worked for me,slow and easy.
Silicone has been keeping them in place for 2 years now.