Exige s240 final drive ratio - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Exige s240 final drive ratio

Ok so I’m in a bit of a jam.. my final drive ratio went bust on track last season, I’ve read that the oem final drive is prone to failure once adding power and grip? Not sure how true this is I’m at around 246 whp so not much power added. I also had transcables and the re-enforcer kit added for better shifting feel (which gave me a huge improvment i must say &#x1f44c
I did remove the clutch delay valve previously (not sure if this might have caused the final drive to break)

Anyways I’m wondering if anyone had a similar issue and if so what are the recommended upgrade options for the final drive ratio? I looked at many options and it’s all getting confusing tbh 😅.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:03 AM
Sig

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by huss90 View Post
Ok so Iím in a bit of a jam.. my final drive ratio went bust on track last season, Iíve read that the oem final drive is prone to failure once adding power and grip? Not sure how true this is Iím at around 246 whp so not much power added. I also had transcables and the re-enforcer kit added for better shifting feel (which gave me a huge improvment i must say &#x1f44c
I did remove the clutch delay valve previously (not sure if this might have caused the final drive to break)

Anyways Iím wondering if anyone had a similar issue and if so what are the recommended upgrade options for the final drive ratio? I looked at many options and itís all getting confusing tbh 😅.
Clutch delay valve was installed on all the cars that launch control. Did you launch the car often? If not, then the removal of the clutch delay valve was probably not the cause of your final drive demise.

Determining the root cause of the failure is most important. If you had an "open" differential, my money is on the spider gears failing and then the broken pieces broke the final drive gears. I bet the ring and pinion gears did not fail first. For this reason alone, I would suggest upgrading to an LSD.

Whoever said that island life is great was never committed to Alcatraz...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

You’re right, I do have an open diff and first thing i did was get a quaife LSD and it’s ready for install, 2nd gear synchro did fail and was starting to grind before the ring and pinion failed.
Will upgrade to carbon synchros for now but still not sure what to get for final drive.
The car is never launched I use it for track only so I guess yes you are right not the CDV.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:22 AM
Sig

Garage
If you are sticking to the OEM gearbox, then I don't think you have a choice for final drives.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

What about the gear ratios? Would anyone recommend going shorter ratios?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:13 AM
Sig

Garage
With the kind of HP you're getting at the rear wheels, my guess is that your 1st gear is very short right now as it is. You probably need to shift very quickly out of first in your OEM box. Have a real serious think about going "shorter"...I don't think that would be the direction I would go with your kind of HP.

Edit: I assumed we were still on final drive ratios...

Have a look at BWR gear ratios/box...

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:17 AM
Sig

Garage
Here's a link...

https://www.blackwatchracing.com/product-p/1031.htm

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, so you’re recommending that with the LSD installed to stick with same gear ratios and get a OEM replacement for the final drive?
I think the stock is 4:5:1
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:43 AM
Sig

Garage
If I recall correctly, I think Toyota offered two versions of the C64 transmission. I also think that Lotus only used one of them... If you buy a replacement transmission on the open market, you could be surprised. This needs be verified, validated and checked by someone more knowledgeable than me.

I like the Quaife LSD, use it in confidence. The carbon syncro gears look like good upgrade but I don't have any experience with them. Looks can be deceiving.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:24 AM

I would not use Carbon synchros in a race application based on my experience 2x and another persons experience.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:24 AM

Race car, break car, it's par for the course.

2006 Exige
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:47 AM

These transmissions are little. When you couple that with added power and MR grip, you get broken final drives. It's not anything you did special or a clutch delay valve removal. It's just a simple equation. Buy a used transmission for cheap and consider it a consumable part or step up to a BWR transmission or E153.
VisualEchos likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 08:54 AM

Have you confirmed that it is your final drive that broke and not something else? The transmission is out of the car and disassembled?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
I would not use Carbon synchros in a race application based on my experience 2x and another persons experience.
Not stronger or last longer than stock? Please tell me more.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Race car, break car, it's par for the course.
All part of the experience now to unleashing the imagination 🤣 I’m taking so long and being indecisive on where to go from here.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
These transmissions are little. When you couple that with added power and MR grip, you get broken final drives. It's not anything you did special or a clutch delay valve removal. It's just a simple equation. Buy a used transmission for cheap and consider it a consumable part or step up to a BWR transmission or E153.
True, but still i think transmission can be improved to handle a bit more power and grip, that’s why I’m looking for a stronger final drive that will handle more than stock on track and still be fairly good on the occassional road drive.

I’ll definitely look into BWR thanks mate
I’ll look into the BWR.

I believe quaife have a final drive as well as Junu and KAAZ.

Edit: Jubu

Last edited by huss90; 01-14-2019 at 04:03 AM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:01 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
True, but still i think transmission can be improved to handle a bit more power and grip, thatís why Iím looking for a stronger final drive that will handle more than stock on track and still be fairly good on the occassional road drive.

Iíll definitely look into BWR thanks mate
Iíll look into the BWR.

I believe quaife have a final drive as well as Junu and KAAZ.
The stock final drive, for what it is, is pretty tough. They do break occasionally, but compared to 3/4 destruction it is relatively rare and often related to diff preload drifting out of spec(more later). I can't recall what the OP ran for a a clutch, but I would stick with the sprung hub organic like an ACT-HD-SS. It has a bit of give in the sprung hub and in the material which helps on high-frequency jolts. I've never seen a non-LSD diff give out. It may well have happened, (hat tip to MGK), I just haven't seen it in the hundred+ transmissions I've built.

One of the things that can happen with the final drive is that the bearing pre-load decreases as the gearbox wears and the diff can wobble a bit under track conditions. This wobble, can lead to early failure of the ring and pinion(final drive). When we do our race build, I have a proprietary pre-load spec that reduces the failure rate of the final drive quite a bit.

I am 99% sure we are sold out of the BWR gearsets. I have a limited run on order, but we won't see those until late march. In the meantime we have our stronger 3/4 available as well as a complete selection of reconditioned parts that have all been crack-checked by FAA certified Magnaflux inspection company.

I hope that helps.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedR View Post
Have you confirmed that it is your final drive that broke and not something else? The transmission is out of the car and disassembled?
Yes all disassembled and final drive was sliced on one side! Looked very bad. I’ll try to find a picture and share
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Not stronger or last longer than stock? Please tell me more.
Mine lasted 14 sessions, when previously I had never worn a synchro, the set on the car I bought and sold lasted 1, and another forum user who we all know and who tracks a ton had similar short life.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
Mine lasted 14 sessions, when previously I had never worn a synchro, the set on the car I bought and sold lasted 1, and another forum user who we all know and who tracks a ton had similar short life.
Wow! Then will stay away if that’s the case, stock are fine, only had 2nd start grinding after atleast 80+ laps and maybe 10k km of street driving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in