Exige Windshield Wanted - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Lotusxs
  • 1 Post By exigegus
  • 1 Post By ArizonaExige

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Exige Windshield Wanted

I've read a lot about this and don't prefer Lexan. What would it take to get a windscreen for a 2007 Exige?

My guess is several other owners would simply buy one in advance of need and I might buy 2 on speculation! It must be nearly impossible because no US based retailer offers them. There must be a windscreen manufacturer that we could build a pre-order through even if we have to buy a pallet of them and convert from English Pound Sterling.

I am not near a Lotus dealer but would drive to pick up a windshield. Where do Wirewheel.com and Shinoo get windshields when they rebuild a car?

Asking for a friend......
Jetblast and Rasmutant like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:41 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusxs View Post
I've read a lot about this and don't prefer Lexan. What would it take to get a windscreen for a 2007 Exige?

My guess is several other owners would simply buy one in advance of need and I might buy 2 on speculation! It must be nearly impossible because no US based retailer offers them. There must be a windscreen manufacturer that we could build a pre-order through even if we have to buy a pallet of them and convert from English Pound Sterling.

I am not near a Lotus dealer but would drive to pick up a windshield. Where do Wirewheel.com and Shinoo get windshields when they rebuild a car?

Asking for a friend......
Good luck. I needed one when I first got my 2007 Exige S and got the only one available in the US at the time.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:25 AM

I keep my car insured

eventually I will call the glass company, I imagine they will call the dealer, and the insurance company will pay the bill

They still make the car, so windshields exist
jlj3394 likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:06 AM

Noob here again. I am lurking the boards on this forum & watching to buy my first Elige.
Threads like this really concern me.

I was astonished recently at a story of a very small crunch on an Elise clamshell that totaled the car, but that was a simple cost analysis decision by the insurance company.
This sounds different - i.e. the car can't be repaired at all since no part is avaialble. Worrying, since I can see these cars getting stone chips and stars in the windshield.

Are there any other landmines like this in Elige ownership ?

Cheers,
Jeff

1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto
2003 Honda S2000
88 Acura Integra (original owner)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

I called Safelite Autoglass and they do not have the S2 Exige in their system for autoglass. Is the current Exige the same windshield?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duetto-69 View Post
Noob here again. I am lurking the boards on this forum & watching to buy my first Elige.
Threads like this really concern me.

I was astonished recently at a story of a very small crunch on an Elise clamshell that totaled the car, but that was a simple cost analysis decision by the insurance company.
This sounds different - i.e. the car can't be repaired at all since no part is avaialble. Worrying, since I can see these cars getting stone chips and stars in the windshield.

Are there any other landmines like this in Elige ownership ?

Cheers,
Jeff
Yes, there are things that cannot be easily obtained for certain models. Yes, the aftermarket suppliers aren't growing. Yes, insurance companies don't want to deal with them. Yes, you can do most things yourself if you want to. I've had mine for 4 years and haven't had to take it anywhere for repair outside of an alignment shop.

My advice is to get a repaired salvage title vehicle from a reputable place like Wirewheel.com. This saves cost and will make you more willing to drive it without worrying about the value.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:18 AM

First I would always as for Elise

Are you paying or is the insurance company?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:44 AM

Tips.....

exigegus is correct, just ask for an Elise windshield as it's the same as the Exige windshield but Elise will be in the system.... only factory glass is available so you have 1 option for a glass windshield, and it will have to be ordered through a Lotus dealership, paid for by yourself OR your insurance/glass install company. I ordered and paid for the windshield, then scheduled the install with a company with experience installing Lotus windshields, and then submitted my two receipts to my insurance company. This also allowed me to have clear ceramic tint installed on the windshield before install on the car.

08 Exige S240 - Chrome Orange
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, there are things that cannot be easily obtained for certain models. Yes, the aftermarket suppliers aren't growing. Yes, insurance companies don't want to deal with them. Yes, you can do most things yourself if you want to. I've had mine for 4 years and haven't had to take it anywhere for repair outside of an alignment shop.

My advice is to get a repaired salvage title vehicle from a reputable place like Wirewheel.com. This saves cost and will make you more willing to drive it without worrying about the value.

Interesting strategy....let me soak on that a bit

Thanx !
Jeff

1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto
2003 Honda S2000
88 Acura Integra (original owner)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaExige View Post
exigegus is correct, just ask for an Elise windshield as it's the same as the Exige windshield but Elise will be in the system.... only factory glass is available so you have 1 option for a glass windshield, and it will have to be ordered through a Lotus dealership, paid for by yourself OR your insurance/glass install company. I ordered and paid for the windshield, then scheduled the install with a company with experience installing Lotus windshields, and then submitted my two receipts to my insurance company. This also allowed me to have clear ceramic tint installed on the windshield before install on the car.
That is a great point on the Elise windshield being the same. Sounds like a little project I can work on next week with the insurance carrier. Wire Wheel and Shinoo are getting them somehow so this makes sense. Upon thinking about it, why would Safelite have an Exige in the system since so few were sold in the US.

Am I correct that the front clam does not have to come off on an Exige to replace the windshield?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Am I correct that the front clam does not have to come off on an Exige to replace the windshield?
I think the front clam does have to come off, I've never done it but it's listed as step 2 in the manual.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Windscreen Pages from 2004-2012 Elise Exige Service Manual.pdf (113.5 KB, 31 views)

2005 Ardent Red Elise, Gut Sport wing & splitter, custom diffuser, Sector111: DSBrace, gPan3, subStuffy2, Larini Sport muffler, decat pipe, Schroth Racing 5 pts, wheel studs, Team Dynamics 1.2 with Hoosier A6s, Koldflash 200 ECU flash, BOE rear clam hinge, BC Racing single adjustables, Hawk pads, SS Brake Lines, HID lights, custom tail and high mount brake light...and much more...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
The clam does not have to be removed to install the windshield if the installer has previous Lotus install experience. Search for windshield installs on this forum and you'll read about both clam on and clam off installs. However, Lotus recommends clam removal in the manual.

Would I risk having a windshield replaced without removing the clam? NOPE, but that's me. I had the clam and the roof off when the installer showed up.

Unfortunately, there are tons of people in this world that don't really seem to care about causing additional damage while working on a repair. Perfect example is the number of clams that were damaged by dealers doing the oil line recall.

Clam on or clam off, take LOTS of photos before the installer gets there so you have proof any new damage was caused by the installer and during installation. If you leave the clam on, I'd drape heavy blankets or towels over the clam and on the dash as extra protection. I'd also INSIST the installer has experience with Lotus and that they send two installers.....or offer to help lower the new windshield onto the car after it's prep'd and ready.
jlj3394 likes this.

08 Exige S240 - Chrome Orange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in