F*%#@^!ng Ti exhaust - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Charles, this is great information.

It's a good thing no one bought my old SS muffler, it's nice to have a spare to add some ballast to the rear.

Anyone with a 1/4 stick for sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Those dis-coloration is caused by improper argon shielding (at the outer welding spot) which will cause oxidation impurity at the joint.

Also need to have good argon purge for the inner tube.

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
the heat resistant material on the Reverie is silver. Obviously the gold looks better, but I'm not sure it would hold up in that location. Did you use additional adhesive? The foil I have for the RLS carbon IC heat shield wasn't especially sticky as I recall. I've seen the gold foil available from a lot of different sources. Where did you source yours and how would rate the adhesive?
Reverie doesn't use foil, they spray on silver powder like coating, which can be wipe off by windex

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:10 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKFEVER View Post
Reverie doesn't use foil, they spray on silver powder like coating, which can be wipe off by windex
I know they don't use foil, as I have the same diffuser. It has the silver coating, like I mentioned above. I never tried to wipe it off, as I'm sure it does a good job.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedR View Post
Did you buy this exhaust new or used? It looks like the weld that broke was a previous repair. It does not look like the broken weld goes all the way around the bottom of the muffler/pipe connection.
I bought this one used from a member.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
I know they don't use foil, as I have the same diffuser. It has the silver coating, like I mentioned above. I never tried to wipe it off, as I'm sure it does a good job.

San
老人:

Yes, the OEM was silver but it faded peeled, so my friend put the gold foil on a few months ago.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
I inspect my exhaust, um, never. I'm only 48, and have only had 13 sports cars in my life, but have never had to inspect an exhaust...or a toe-link.
You have been very lucky.

Ti exhausts can be reliable. Several car companies now offer Ti exhausts as options. I just toured the MultiMatic factory last Tues and they were installing Ti exhausts on FordGTs. They came from a very well establish Ti exhaust manufacturer: Akrapovic.

Plenty of stories on this forum about toe link failures. We see loose toe links on street cars as well as track. Lotus even suggest that you check the torque in their service manual.
ogravty likes this.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
You have been very lucky.

Ti exhausts can be reliable. Several car companies now offer Ti exhausts as options. I just toured the MultiMatic factory last Tues and they were installing Ti exhausts on FordGTs. They came from a very well establish Ti exhaust manufacturer: Akrapovic.

Plenty of stories on this forum about toe link failures. We see loose toe links on street cars as well as track. Lotus even suggest that you check the torque in their service manual.
I inspect the toe link on the Lotus, I was saying that I have never had to inspect it on any other car. I also check my exhaust regularly, quite a few Elise/Exige have lost their lives due to exhaust-related fire.

2006 Exige
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:49 AM

For me, one big cause of weldment fealure on nice looking stuff is they weld with a minimum of added material. The weld joint smaller than the tube itself. I remaimber a nicely done SS pipe I purchase many years ago (from sector... Larini I think) lasting 45 min on track. Since that time, I am back to old school by doing my exhaust weld my self, I am not a welder, I am not very good either, they do not look as great as nicely look weld, but it last... I have now a K20 turbo with a full custom exhaust homemade since more than 2 years, no crack and no trouble, and big welding joint and not looking good.

I do not understand the obsession to make very thin weld joint on exhaust stuff.

On motorbike, the OEM TI exhaust line are lasting...

Elise 2006, white, K20 turbo GT3076R, 395 whp
List of mod: I am just stupid putting that much money on that car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in