Flashers&Hazards not working - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By exigegus
  • 1 Post By BobaFettm
  • 1 Post By BobaFettm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Flashers&Hazards not working

Hey all. I’ve went through all the old posts... I’ve tried the fuses first (nothing). I swapped the relay (nothing). I checked the hazards switch (nothing). I’ve put the volt meter on the fuse slot and getting power. Tested the relay slots with meter and it’s working.

I’m out of ideas... just finished a clutch swap and post this I have no flashers or hazards. Any recommendations?

2006 Lotus Exige
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

I do want to add... when I press the flasher stick down or the hazards I do not see anything on my dash.

2006 Lotus Exige
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:51 PM

Garage
Judging by what you said you've checked, I'm a little stumped. I was looking at the wiring diagrams (I've attached a copy of the page below) and I notice that the power for both the hazard flashers and directional indicators runs through the hazard switch and then through the turn/hazard flasher relay. The directional indicator gets its power from the flasher relay and the signal for the hazard flashers runs back through the hazard switch before going to the lights.

I'd make sure to check power at the hazard switch, terminal 3 should have battery voltage when the ignition is turned on (power from fuse F6, 7.5 amp), and terminal 1 should have battery voltage at all times (power from fuse F9, 15 amp).

If you do have those correct voltages, I'd check power at the turn/hazard relay. At terminal 4 on the relay you should have battery voltage when the ignition key is turned on, and when the hazard switch is pressed but you should not have voltage at any other time.

The last thing I'd check is to see if you have a pulsing battery voltage signal at terminal 6 on the hazard switch when the hazard switch is depressed (I don't expect you'll have voltage at this terminal if the flashers aren't flashing but it needs to be checked for clues).

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Elise Wiring Diagram - elise_north_america_05MY Sheet-6 - Adj.pdf (214.4 KB, 32 views)

2005 Ardent Red Elise, Gut Sport wing & splitter, custom diffuser, Sector111: DSBrace, gPan3, subStuffy2, Larini Sport muffler, decat pipe, Schroth Racing 5 pts, wheel studs, Team Dynamics 1.2 with Hoosier A6s, Koldflash 200 ECU flash, BOE rear clam hinge, BC Racing single adjustables, Hawk pads, SS Brake Lines, HID lights, custom tail and high mount brake light...and much more...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:19 AM

it does this when I have been messing with the console and don't get the hazard switch back in tight
glb likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Okay. Tested the relay port 4 and have power with the hazards on and hazards off... if I’m only supposed to have it one way or the other then I’m assuming the switch itself has failed
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:02 AM

Garage
Do you have voltage at the turn/hazard relay terminal 4 with the ignition turned off and the hazard switch off? When the ignition key is off there should only be power at terminal 4 if the hazard switch is depressed (turned on).

2005 Ardent Red Elise, Gut Sport wing & splitter, custom diffuser, Sector111: DSBrace, gPan3, subStuffy2, Larini Sport muffler, decat pipe, Schroth Racing 5 pts, wheel studs, Team Dynamics 1.2 with Hoosier A6s, Koldflash 200 ECU flash, BOE rear clam hinge, BC Racing single adjustables, Hawk pads, SS Brake Lines, HID lights, custom tail and high mount brake light...and much more...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 AM

I pressed my hazard button years back and my turn signals started to behave oddly. About a day later before I got around to investigating, everything went back to normal. I've been told that the switch the operates the hazards is very flaky in these cars.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I have a feeling that this button has failed. Although what seems strange to me is that if the button is functioning correctly then it should have power going through pin 2 to pin 4 on the relay... Which currently it does have this. So shouldn't my flashers work correctly right now? The failure is when I press down on the hazard and it still puts power through pin 2 onto pin 4 on the relay causing the hazards to never kick on.

I checked the little resistor in the hazard switch and it is performing the correct ohms.

I called my local lotus shop to see if they have a used one around to let me try plugging a switch in... I really don't want to ditch over $80 and it still be something else causing the problem!

2006 Lotus Exige
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaFettm View Post
Yeah I have a feeling that this button has failed. Although what seems strange to me is that if the button is functioning correctly then it should have power going through pin 2 to pin 4 on the relay... Which currently it does have this. So shouldn't my flashers work correctly right now? The failure is when I press down on the hazard and it still puts power through pin 2 onto pin 4 on the relay causing the hazards to never kick on.

I checked the little resistor in the hazard switch and it is performing the correct ohms.

I called my local lotus shop to see if they have a used one around to let me try plugging a switch in... I really don't want to ditch over $80 and it still be something else causing the problem!
There should be power at terminals 3 and 4 on the relay, terminal 2 is the ground wire. It is possible for the hazard switch to be the culprit, after the signal leaves the relay at terminal 3 it runs back through the hazard switch, giving it another chance at failure.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for all your assistance Jet! I had the local shop pick one up from Lotus HQ... Thankfully which is only minutes away from where I work So the button will be here today.
Jetblast likes this.

2006 Lotus Exige
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Well... it wasn’t the hazard button... nor the relay. Stumped.

2006 Lotus Exige
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:31 PM

Have you checked to see if you have a good ground on pin 2 of the flasher relay??

06 Lotus Elise: Ardent Red, Sport+Touring, ShiftR111, S111 TransCables, LETSLA, Driving lights
02 Honda S2000: Spa yellow, Berk Hi-flow Cat, Alpine head unit, Focal speakers
09 Honda Civic EX Coupe: Stock winter bomber
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

It was as simple as autozone looking up and handing me the wrong relay... It was a 12v 60w+ three pin relay... but they gave me a EP34 not the EP35. I will say in their defense the box did say EP35 on it but it must have been returned with the wrong relay etc.

Once I went to Oreilly's and picked up an EP35 everything worked. Guh so frustrating but I guess I got to see a lot of parts that I've never seen before on the Exige lol... Pulled that entire dash apart looking for signs of a mouse or damage.

Thank you all for your assistance!
Jetblast likes this.

2006 Lotus Exige
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in