Help Ssc Cables - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Help Ssc Cables

Hi guys, I’ve been working on upgrading to SSC shifter cables on my MY2007 Exige S, which turns out to be the most teadious job I’ve ever attempted... I finally manage to get the old cables out, 2 hours of bleeding knuckles to get the clips out😭
New cables in and I’m now facing a spacer problem.
The amount of room on the cable heads is ginormous leaving me with the solution of placing 6 spacers on each one to avoid any wiggling and that really doesn’t look any good.
Do any of you know what I’m doing wring here?
Thanks for the support!!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 AM

I drilled out the holes in the shifter and used larger hardware when I put mine together. There are still some spacers involved though.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:33 AM
Addict

Garage
Can you simply use shorter bolts? The hardware store may have metal tubes you can cut to length to use as a spacer instead of a few washers, I've been able to find these in metric sizes that fit very well over bolts almost like a sleeve.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
I drilled out the holes in the shifter and used larger hardware when I put mine together. There are still some spacers involved though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Can you simply use shorter bolts? The hardware store may have metal tubes you can cut to length to use as a spacer instead of a few washers, I've been able to find these in metric sizes that fit very well over bolts almost like a sleeve.
Thanks for your imput! I’m not in a harderwarr friendly place right now, so I’ll go with the washers for now and will upgrade to more appropriate stuff later.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:23 AM

you can order sleeves from mcmaster carr or amazon.

something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you'll need to find the right size.

https://www.mcmaster.com/spacers

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen WhiteYellow Star shield
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:03 PM

There does appear to be something wrong in your assembly.

Should only require 3 of 1/4" ID washers and 1 of 3/16" ID washer.

Plate on gear shift lever should be drilled out so that the 1/4" dia shoulder bolt can slide right through the plate.

If this has been done then check that the length of the shoulder bolt shoulder is 5/8".

Assembly is 1/4" washer under shoulder bolt head, then through the cable rod end, another 1/4" washer, then through the gear lever plate, another 1/4" washer and a 3/16" washer, then nyloc nut.

Installation instructions are in a PDF on this page:

https://www.simplysportscars.com/sho...ossgate-cables

Vale Mr Chip 1998-2015

Last edited by iana; 08-15-2019 at 07:11 PM. Reason: More info
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:00 PM

a little hard to tell from the angle of the photos, but I'm pretty sure the rose joint of the gear cable gets attached to the gear level with a bolt and a NYLOC NUT.
The nut has a nylon insert so it doesn't come loose. In your case, the nut looks like it's barely threaded. I think you should remove the excess 'spacers' as you call them and only use the supplied amount of 'washers'.
Then thread the bolt ALL THE WAY THROUGH the nyloc. There will be increased resistance when you have to overcome the nylon insert initially.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iana View Post
There does appear to be something wrong in your assembly.

Should only require 3 of 1/4" ID washers and 1 of 3/16" ID washer.

Plate on gear shift lever should be drilled out so that the 1/4" dia shoulder bolt can slide right through the plate.

If this has been done then check that the length of the shoulder bolt shoulder is 5/8".

Assembly is 1/4" washer under shoulder bolt head, then through the cable rod end, another 1/4" washer, then through the gear lever plate, another 1/4" washer and a 3/16" washer, then nyloc nut.

Installation instructions are in a PDF on this page:

https://www.simplysportscars.com/sho...ossgate-cables
Haha, dismentles half a car but isn’t able to find pdf instructions on a website, so typical! Thanks for your help! shifter is working a treat with extra washers for now so I’m not going to fiddle with it for the time being. Plus I’ve added gregs race parts gated grill which is phenomenal!
Attached Images

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmeupscotty View Post
a little hard to tell from the angle of the photos, but I'm pretty sure the rose joint of the gear cable gets attached to the gear level with a bolt and a NYLOC NUT.
The nut has a nylon insert so it doesn't come loose. In your case, the nut looks like it's barely threaded. I think you should remove the excess 'spacers' as you call them and only use the supplied amount of 'washers'.
Then thread the bolt ALL THE WAY THROUGH the nyloc. There will be increased resistance when you have to overcome the nylon insert initially.
I checked, it’s a Nyloc nut and it’s nice and snug. Î’ll check everything is still in order and nicelly torked down in a couple hundred miles before I decide what to do.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:05 AM

instead of adding weight with the gated bling bling shifter i would throw the complete cheap looking plastic part out of the car.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

The gated shifter grill is a solid CNC aluminum piece that weighs next to nothing; having removed all the reverse blocking mechanism on the shifter + gator... I'm confident I'm not losing adding any weight with this (not that I'm too much worried about it anyways, hint I still have carpets and a radio ;p).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in