How can I tell if Exige's front lip (splitter?) will go up my driveway ? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SirLotus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

How can I tell if Exige's front lip (splitter?) will go up my driveway ?

I'm searching for my first Elige and am a little worried about the Exige's lower lip (I believe its called the splitter ? ) being able to clear the uphill entrance to my driveway. I'd hate to unload it off the truck only to find I can't get it up the driveway without body damage. Trying an angled approach is my best hope I think.

My question is this; from searching, it appears some people are saying the splitter is protective (sacrificial) and are adding it to the Elise as well for this reason.

It looks to me like the presence of the splitter will increase the odds of scrapping. Am I getting this wrong ?

Cheers
Jeff

1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto
2003 Honda S2000
88 Acura Integra (original owner)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Addict

Garage
A picture of your driveway may help.

The splitter may slightly decrease clearance (increasing the odds of scrapping) but in most cases where the splitter scraps the clam would as well. Better for the removable part to take damage than the clam. There are also some protective plates sold that might hold up better than a thin splitter and retain the stock look if that's the goal.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:48 AM

They do sell "curb ramps" for this or do an angled approach if you are able to. Some have even tackled this issue with boards that they place down. Kind of a PITA but it does work! I've been up some steep driveways or parking lot entrances but I have always been able to make it up or out without too much trouble in both my Evora and Elise. The cars are low but not "slammed".

The splitter is considered sacrificial by most and it does helps protect the clam from minor scraps and bumps. It's also much cheaper to replace ~$300. A scrap yeah, it's been helpful there for me but here's what happened to my splitter after hitting a small ice chunk that fell off a semi trailer that was coming down from the mountain pass earlier this year. Womp, womp

I also have chin guards on. You can see those in the pic. I had those on before the splitter. They help protect the lower winglets and cost about $300 painted. They are clear and painted on the inside so that they hide the scrapes.
Attached Images

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:10 AM

Measure the distance between the front edge of splitter and center of front tire and then the height of front splitter above the pavement. Replicate those measurements on you driveway.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the answers - good info.

Ron, I was also thinking I would replicate the geometry of the splitter-wheel distances with a cardboard cutout.
trouble is, I don't own a Lotus yet so I'll try to get measurements on an Exige that is for sale that I am hoping to go look at this weekend.
I'll have to get down there with a tape measure and the seller will probably think I am nuts... :-)

If its bad news, I like the ideas of splitter protectors and/or curb ramps as well. These may save me in the end.
Let you know what I find
Cheers
Jeff

1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto
2003 Honda S2000
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:28 PM

I can take some measurements and then you can draw it on some cardboard and cut it out.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:46 PM

I’m close to pulling the trigger as well and had the same thought. Though my 997 is low and the overhang is longer.

My thinking is worst case I can do what some neighbors have which is thick steel plate to mitigate the angle substantially.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:27 PM

When my wife and I were looking for a new home a flat driveway was a must. Ever thought about moving? (Just kidding)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

mattjk,

If you get the chance, those measurements would be much appreciated !
(I just found out the Exige I was going to look at won't be till weekend after next)

From what I am thinking, its the height of the splitter above the pavement, plus the horizontal distance from its most forward point to the axel line of the front wheels. Not sure if I'm missing a measurement I will need though, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you don't get time for this, I understand.
thanx in advance !

Jeff

1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto
2003 Honda S2000
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Here is my first attempt to post images to this board.

Coming head on with the S2000. its clearance at the front lip is 6.25 in. on level ground. It barely makes it as U can see.

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

next two are at an angle - much better

1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto
2003 Honda S2000
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:01 AM
2006 Exige

Garage
That driveway is no problem, even if your car is lowered. You MUST attack it at an extreme angle (like the S2000 is) going in and out though. My driveway is worse and I'm in an '06 Exige w/ 115mm front ride height.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:01 PM

Front Skid Plates-Elise, Exige, Evora https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225690
Poorichard likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info guys...

guess I'll see how it goes when I get the car. The skid plates are interesting even if it clears my driveway. According to what I read, there will be other places around town it will not.

Jeff

1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto
2003 Honda S2000
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:02 AM

from the pics. that driveway doesn't look that bad and easy to get into...

we were able to get an Exige and Elise down this driveway... https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...iveway-433913/

WNC Tour Guide - WNC Drives (click me!)
'93 Vintage Red RX-7 - NA 20B
'06 Chili Red Exige - RIP 2017.12.01
'06 Ardent Red Exige Katana2 - try this again
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:19 PM

I have a 2011 Exige S260 F.E. which scrapes the carbon fiber front splitter coming up my in-driveway and down my out-driveway ... only the bottom scrapes (not visible unless the car is on a lift). I consider the splitter to be a disposable item which I will replace if I need to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in