I did a full A/C service, my A/C is too cold now. - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy05 View Post
This is the message I got when I tried to purchase the refrigerant. I'm I doing something wrong?
Hmm, perhaps Harry knows. I went to a local A/C shop.

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen WhiteYellow Star shield
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:08 AM

Garage
Can anyone explain if there is a difference in R134A refrigerant? Does it matter what brand you buy or differences in additives that make some better choices for our cars than others? I plan to take it to a shop with the above instructions. Is there something I need to specify or watch very carefully when they add the R134A? If I do it myself, I would not buy the very cheapest but I would like to know what the advantages are to purchasing the more expensive brands.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Can anyone explain if there is a difference in R134A refrigerant? Does it matter what brand you buy or differences in additives that make some better choices for our cars than others? I plan to take it to a shop with the above instructions. Is there something I need to specify or watch very carefully when they add the R134A? If I do it myself, I would not buy the very cheapest but I would like to know what the advantages are to purchasing the more expensive brands.
Ditto InfernoLotusí comments. Looks like you can NOT get the recommended Johnson/DuPont shipped to California. But possibly through eBay as Harry said.

I rented the tools, which I needed anyways since I need to change out my AC Dryer. I plan to test the vacuum after changing out the dryer and before putting my front clam back on. Then I think Iíll just take it to a local AC shop to fill up the R-134a tomorrow. Iím going to assume they have better commercial grade R-134a. That is unless I hear otherwise from someone with knowledge on the matter by tonight.

Looks like all the local auto parts store in the San Francisco Bay Area carry the same brand refrigerant, with AC Pro being the premium or possibly just most carried/marketed product.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy05 View Post
This is the message I got when I tried to purchase the refrigerant. I'm I doing something wrong?
Yes, you live in California. (Sorry, but I had to. I was born and raised there.)
mattjk likes this.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyasu View Post
Ditto InfernoLotusí comments. Looks like you can NOT get the recommended Johnson/DuPont shipped to California. But possibly through eBay as Harry said.

I rented the tools, which I needed anyways since I need to change out my AC Dryer. I plan to test the vacuum after changing out the dryer and before putting my front clam back on. Then I think Iíll just take it to a local AC shop to fill up the R-134a tomorrow. Iím going to assume they have better commercial grade R-134a. That is unless I hear otherwise from someone with knowledge on the matter by tonight.

Looks like all the local auto parts store in the San Francisco Bay Area carry the same brand refrigerant, with AC Pro being the premium or possibly just most carried/marketed product.
So I did a google search and it seems like every article says that R134a is the same no matter where you get it. The more expensive "versions" add leak preventive and oil additives that most sites say you do NOT want. R134a is patented by Dupont so it is required to be pure. It does not appear to be worth it to pay any more than about $8 a can, even though it was about $5 a can a Walmart today when I checked.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
So I did a google search and it seems like every article says that R134a is the same no matter where you get it. The more expensive "versions" add leak preventive and oil additives that most sites say you do NOT want. R134a is patented by Dupont so it is required to be pure. It does not appear to be worth it to pay any more than about $8 a can, even though it was about $5 a can a Walmart today when I checked.
definitely don't want ANY additives that attempt to do any sealing.

2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
also, the issue with some shops that use the big automated machine... is that they are required to recover ANY Freon from ANY vehicle that comes in for A/C service. So you can get one car with Big Lot's brand Freon, mixed in with the top dollar Dupont stuff. Think about that!
Harix likes this.

2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
also, the issue with some shops that use the big automated machine... is that they are required to recover ANY Freon from ANY vehicle that comes in for A/C service. So you can get one car with Big Lot's brand Freon, mixed in with the top dollar Dupont stuff. Think about that!
Dang! I didn't think about this. Otherwise I would have asked if their systems contains any recovered R-134a.

Anyhow, I ended up replacing the AC Dryer last night and pulled vacuum to ensure all was good with the system. It was leak free so I headed over to O'Reilly's before they closed and picked up a couple cans of R-134a. I then found I didn't have the proper adapter to connect the can of R-134a to the AC Manifold Gauge set to fill my system. I figured it wasn't meant to be. So I kept some vacuum in the system overnight and had my local AC Shop filler her up with 1.25 lbs of R-134a as recommended. This was probably a blessing in disguise because I told the person that I replaced the dryer so he topped off my system with some proper AC Oil. I completely forgot that there would be some oil loss in the system because the old dryer would contains some oil.

All said, the AC is running GREAT! I drove down to San Jose as it hotter down there (about 91 degrees at the time I was there) and the AC was blowing ice cold. When aiming the two driver's vent to my hands at the steering wheel, my hands would get cold to the point where I needed to redirect the vents. Note - the cabin is still slightly warm because it's stock with no aftermarket insulation, etc.

If I ever have to go through this exercise again, I'll make sure I order some DuPont/Johnson's R-134a from ebay. Also, get the proper adapter, and a fishing scale to properly measure the the weight of R-134a.
Harix likes this.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:17 AM

I added a resistor more than doubling the resistance for 'low' fan speed.

Helps with the frosted knuckles.

First world problems, I know.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in