Kazi's Exige track car build - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Kazi's Exige track car build

Previous owner already put on some other good track mods, Nitron singles, oil pan, catch cans etc. Looks like oil pan is leaking a bit around the gasket, need to look into that.

Over the past few weekends I:
  • replaced the front caliper seals
  • installed the BOE SS pistons along with titanium shims all around
  • replaced stock intercooler with the RLS kit
  • installed the Radium surge tank kit (no pics, can't really see it)
  • installed the Difflow Square Jr
  • BOE silent touch + rear panel delete
  • new R888 all around
  • fresh rotors with Carbotech Xp12 / 10 pads.

I recently got access to a CNC, so I am going to try and make some custom winglets to screw on the sides of the rear wing. It will probably make the car slower as I have no knowledge of aero, but it sounds like too much fun to pass up as a first CNC project.

I want to drive it so bad, the sun is teasing me. I can see it, but between us is the pouring rain and sleet.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Monaco Dreamin'

My Exige handles surprisingly well in the rain, then again I don't have those 100+ extra horses yet!

01 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6 TME
93 Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2
65 Ford Mustang 289 5spd
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCspeed34 View Post
My Exige handles surprisingly well in the rain, then again I don't have those 100+ extra horses yet!
I don't have much confidence with standing water and the tread pattern on the Toyo tires. I may also just be a wuss

I'll probably get a second set of wheels with better rain tires at the end of summer.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 11:22 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazi View Post
I don't have much confidence with standing water and the tread pattern on the Toyo tires. I may also just be a wuss

I'll probably get a second set of wheels with better rain tires at the end of summer.
I drove my Exige S in the rain for two week as my daily driver (Corvette C6) was on jack stands due to a shock failure. I was on the stock A048s (which were bald), which are even less predictable.

I was surprised at how easy it was to control the Exige even under throttle in a wet corner. After I had the rear end break loose (bald rears, lots of throttle and steering) I was challenging the car to handle badly. It wouldn't. Even in the worst scenario above it was very controllable.

I'd advise some practice (I didn't say wuss).

San
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Alpaca Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazi View Post

Don't forget that the car was engineered and made in the UK, where it rains a hell of a lot. Just be mindful of your driving and you'll be fine.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 AM

Very nice upgrades. Best of luck the weather clears so you can go for a proper spirited drive.

'07 Exige S270 :: Aspen White ::

"This is like O. Henry and Alanis Morissette had a baby and named it "this exact situation"."
Sterling Mallory Archer
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 04:41 PM

does that rear air diffuser really help a lot?

Current: 17 Vette Grand Sport 7MT Z07, 11 E Class Wagon, Chevy Volt
Coming: Mercedes AMG
Formers: Exige, Boxster spyder, 09 Nissan GTR, Mitsu Evo 8 and X, VW Gti, 94 Toyota Supra TT, miatas, subbies,audi s4's, Honda's etc
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahulX View Post
does that rear air diffuser really help a lot?
I have no timed lap data to say it does. But I spent money on it so my brain tells me yes, huge improvement over stock.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 06:05 PM

How involved was it to rebuild the front calipers?
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
How involved was it to rebuild the front calipers?
I found it easy, although I've taken calipers off my GTI a few times before. The calipers are pretty darn simple, two pistons and 4 seals each. There are what I believe to be outer dust seals and an inner fluid seal. I only replaced the inner fluid seals and cleaned off the dust seals. I read somewhere that you should soak the new seals in fluid for 30 minutes prior to installation, so I did do that. You don't have to split the caliper open either, there is enough room to keep it in one piece.

Buy some brake line plugs like these

to keep your fluid reservoir from drying out. I took mine off so I could give them a thorough cleaning before putting in new seals.

I used my compressor with a handheld air blower to pop the pistons out, doesn't take much pressure to do it. You will need a C-clamp to put the pistons back in, they are a tight fit and I couldn't move them all the way in by hand.

Trickiest part is getting air out of the caliper when you put it back on .
There is only one bleed nipple and two cylinders, air will get trapped in the cylinder that does not have a bleed nipple, so flipping it upside down while carefully rotating it with the bleed nipple open (and using a pressure bleeder) will release the trapped air. Just imagine the air bubble floating to the highest point in the cylinder while rotating it.

I used the motul pressure bleeder while making sure the reservoir didn't run dry.

Last edited by Kazi; 04-16-2014 at 09:54 PM.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Replaced my expired, red four point harnesses with silver ones. Now they match the paint Added a cup holder on the passenger side, now my bottled water doesn't roll around the car. Also made a plate holder for the front using the Home Depot lumber bracket.

I took the roof off to make replacing the seat belts easier. I discovered that at some point one of the rear roof brackets was overtightened and cracked. I put some super glue where it fractured and clamped it down. Hoping it holds well enough that I won't have to buy a replacement.
Attached Images

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Monaco Dreamin'

Looking good, you need to make it out to Redmond Town Center one of these Saturdays!

01 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6 TME
93 Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2
65 Ford Mustang 289 5spd
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 02:24 AM

Cool build, feedback on the RLS intercooler over stock? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 04:38 AM

Nice car, you'll have fun. But the 4 points are a hazard to your health. Go 5 or 6 point. Easy to do with stock seats, it's one (correctly placed) slit and the Sector 111 6-pack and you're there. The 4 points ride up your hips and do nothing except direct your body to slam into the steering column. And yes, that's a possibility even with the supposed Schroth breakaway feature.

[SOLD] 2005 Lotus Elise, NFB with orange trim N/A+ Nitron DA's+gPan+little tiny Odyssey battery++ Lotus Sport seats+ DBA 5000's/Stainless++Lotus Sport wheels ++ V2 stuff like gas tank, arms ++Track pack harness bar/6pt++2Bular GT3 and sport cat++ quick release and a few steering wheels++ custom rear delete++ Magical Racing mirrors with custom mounts ++ RTD brace ++ toe link upgrade++ other little stuff
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7777 View Post
Nice car, you'll have fun. But the 4 points are a hazard to your health. Go 5 or 6 point. Easy to do with stock seats, it's one (correctly placed) slit and the Sector 111 6-pack and you're there. The 4 points ride up your hips and do nothing except direct your body to slam into the steering column. And yes, that's a possibility even with the supposed Schroth breakaway feature.
+1.
I know a guy who really got banged up unnecessarily with a four point.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCspeed34 View Post
Looking good, you need to make it out to Redmond Town Center one of these Saturdays!
I miss ERTC!
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiller View Post
Cool build, feedback on the RLS intercooler over stock? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one.
Haven't made it to the track yet, but for what its worth, it is cooler to the touch after a spirited drive on the street. If you do get the kit, you will want some rubber/silicone bushings to put under the intercooler heat shield. It will vibrate like crazy against the mounting brackets. I took some silicone sheet and cut strips to fold over itself, then cut out a square with a razor to fit them over the bolts. I also silicone glued a couple stacked sheets under the center of the shield where it was coming in contact with the large metal bracket that holds up the intercooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-C View Post
+1.
I know a guy who really got banged up unnecessarily with a four point.
Any more details on this? I have been unsuccessful in finding events of people being injured from the claimed dangers of 4 point harnesses. Also, what is involved with mounting the 5/6th strap to the car? Do I need to rivet special brackets to the floor?
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 10:48 AM

Wear it for a couple track days and see what happens. The buckle will ride up past your pelvis no matter how tight you cinch it. If you hit anything that causes you to move forward there is nothing to prevent you from submarining underneath. The Schroth tearaway claims that the outer belt will stretch and allow your torso to go forward a bit, like a traditional 3 point belt. So maybe it works. And maybe not.

The chances of getting actually injured in a track day are pretty small, so I'm not hugely surprised if you haven't heard of anyone actually getting injured by a 4 point. Let's hope it stays that way. Enough people who have done this for a long time would never use a 4 point that I became convinced.

Aside from all that, once you go to a 5 or 6 point you will realize that the only real utility out of a harness is to use it with a 5th or 6th point, since it actually keeps you in the seat. With a 4 point once the buckle wriggles up it's fairly useless at the task of keeping you tight, and more importantly keeping your butt tight to the seat.

It's not a big job to get the remaining strap. You need to get a slit in your seat to thread it through and a good attachment point in the floor. Sector 111 sells a kit to do that. A pro race shop that is at all familiar with Lotus can do it for you in a few hours, or custom make a good bolt system. The slit in the seat can be trimmed by a leather shop so it looks OEM or for a few bucks Sector 111 sells a plastic harness hole ring. I don't think it's hugely comfortable, so after a year of using that I went the leather shop route with the same seats you have.

[SOLD] 2005 Lotus Elise, NFB with orange trim N/A+ Nitron DA's+gPan+little tiny Odyssey battery++ Lotus Sport seats+ DBA 5000's/Stainless++Lotus Sport wheels ++ V2 stuff like gas tank, arms ++Track pack harness bar/6pt++2Bular GT3 and sport cat++ quick release and a few steering wheels++ custom rear delete++ Magical Racing mirrors with custom mounts ++ RTD brace ++ toe link upgrade++ other little stuff
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, andy7777. That is the type of practical information I was lacking. Main reason I wanted something other than stock seatbelt was to keep myself planted in the seat.

I have an appointment on Monday to get my suspension setup with a motorsport shop that works on lotus cars. I'll ask if they have setup the extra mounting points for other customers cars.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

I forgot that I also swapped out my pedals for the DBW set. I have long skinny feet and found I couldn't touch the gas and brake at the same time in a comfortable manner. Ended up using 1 shim on the brake pedal and put the gas pedal high and far over to the left, reducing the space between the pair. I'm still a noob, but I can now at least attempt to heel toe.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in