power supply needed from engine area of 2010 Exige for rear camera - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

power supply needed from engine area of 2010 Exige for rear camera

I am fitting a wireless monitor/rear camera setup for my 2010 Exige 240S. I want this arrangement to be permanently on, rather than for reversing only.

I have temporarily wired the camera direct to the battery in the boot for power (fused of course) and the monitor is wired to the power supply behind the APS AKA the "cigar" lighter. This was sufficient to test that everything is working as it should before looking for a more elegant configuration.

Well, believe it or not, the permanent-on camera appears to have drained the battery within a week of not using the car. I had already planned, for the camera, to tap into a power supply taken from an ignition-on only point in the engine bay or somewhere else close by.

Problem is I am not sure where to find a simple point to get power from. Presumably, the rear lights or reversing lights are no good. Perhaps one of the fuses in the engine bay?

Can anyone help here? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 05:33 AM

Does your car have the wiring for the accusump system in the boot? Your other choice is to use the same connection point that is used for powering an external fuel pump. Check for instructions on BOE's web site.

Later,
Eldon
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
Does your car have the wiring for the accusump system in the boot? Your other choice is to use the same connection point that is used for powering an external fuel pump. Check for instructions on BOE's web site.

Later,
Eldon
Thanks for the reply. Not sure how I would know if the accusump wiring is there or not. I will have a look but only just had the mats out to wire the camera. From memory the only wiring I saw was a thin bundle running along behind the light fittings.

Pardon my ignorance but BOE - "who is he/she/it"?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay View Post
Thanks for the reply. Not sure how I would know if the accusump wiring is there or not. I will have a look but only just had the mats out to wire the camera. From memory the only wiring I saw was a thin bundle running along behind the light fittings.

Pardon my ignorance but BOE - "who is he/she/it"?
I believe your 2010 should have the wiring loom for the accusump system. There should be a harness that reaches to the passenger side of the boot that is not hooked to anything.

BOE is a major supplier of goodies for our cars. Look at the installation notes for this item, which can be found at the bottom of the page.

https://www.boefab.com/collections/f...cts/surge-tank

The wiring instructions will lead you to where you can find switched power at the firewall.

Later,
Eldon
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
BOE is a major supplier of goodies for our cars.
Understatement of the year.

Lotus Heaven more like it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

eldonz

Thanks for the reply - I will follow up on both your bits of info. Apologies for the late reply. I wasn't getting email notifications but an email address change may have fixed that.

Last edited by arjay; 10-22-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: email notification issue fixed
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 05:43 PM

The inertia switch is another option. Radium sells a pigtail to tap it. You could use that with a direct line from the battery and run them to a relay. Switched power in the boot.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I believe your 2010 should have the wiring loom for the accusump system. There should be a harness that reaches to the passenger side of the boot that is not hooked to anything.
OK - I had a more thorough look and found a harness behind the battery (driver's side on my LHD Exige) that does not seem to go anywhere. I guess this must be the accusump feed. However, I could not find any indication that it has DC current with ignition on or off, or with the engine running. The harness terminates with a two-pin female socket (see photo below). I also found a second terminal a bit back on the harness that has four coloured wires leading into it. This plug looks more like something you would find on a desktop PC.

Would this harness be what you were expecting me to find?

Thanks
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

As to the other helpful suggestions - I have investigated them and most look like they need to access to very tight locations One, for example, ends up hooking into points below the ECU. I had occasion to take the ECU out earlier in the year. to send to Lotus in the UK for programming. I found that extremely difficult to get it out and don't want to go there again.

I have temporarily tapped a fuse in the engine bay with a second lesser amp in-line fuse for safety. Not sure if that is kosher but it works fine until I can get another reasonably simple solution (easy access and simple to understand by someone who is electrically and electronically challenged).

Thanks, all the same, for your efforts guys.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 06:14 AM

OP- what screen and camera are you using? i want to do this on my elise but struggling to find a product i'd be happy with.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirt View Post
OP- what screen and camera are you using? i want to do this on my elise but struggling to find a product i'd be happy with.
As you can imagine, I have been asked this question a fair few times in the last couple of months but am struggling to give an answer because I am not happy with the supplier - 4Kam™ Pro Camera Systems. I paid over-the-odds for my kit because I wanted a UK supplier (rather than Ebay or whatever) as I could foresee the possibility that I would need some installation support and/or help with returns for failed equipment. (Much of this stuff is made in China or the Far East and there is a fair amount of evidence that it is far from consistent quality.)

As it happened I did get some decent tech support early on, then everything went pear-shaped. They are now "not taking any more orders while they reorganise their production systems". Tickets on the website and emails to [email protected] and [email protected] etc go unanswered as does their landline. No sure what to make of it all but have assumed the worst. I had a failed W/L receiver at the monitor end but managed to buy a replacement on Amazon for only a tenner.

Having done a bit more research I now realise that you can buy prettywell the same kit from multiple sources at far lower prices than I paid - but expect to have to replace some part or another - usually on arrival or shortly their after. That means having a reliable and honest supplier unless you can DIY it all for ourself

Anyway my system is now up and running fine. I'll post shortly a detailed piece on my experiences - really aimed at those with little knowledge of either their car, the kit and how it works and/or are also as electrically and electronically challenged as I am.

Sorry I could not be more help, but am reluctant to suggest either my supplier or my set of kit.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:05 PM

No worries, cheers for the reply.

I was initially looking at the US suppliers who integrate the camera into the number plate surround [same size as here] and beam the image direct to iphone but I almost fell over when I saw the price - $400 or so.

There are a few chinese companies who can supply a camera which will beam to ios or android devices and garmin do one which will beam to their higher end satnav screens, but I still favour using a screen if I can find one which would integrate into the hardtop and flip down for use. I reckon that way I can remove the rear view mirror.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in