Torque settings for thermostat housing and alternator please - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Torque settings for thermostat housing and alternator please

Could someone please post:

* The torque settings for the nuts that fasten the thermostat housing to the engine.

* The torque settings for the alternator securing bolts

* If you have any input/advise on how best to relieve the serpentine belt tension to remove the alternator that would be great.

I have looked for this info but have yet to find it.

Thanks for you help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:06 AM

Thermostat is hit with the electric ratchet one ugga dugga. Alternator is pretty tight by hand. Neither of them "need" torqued... But http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...tra/METRIC.jpg

Is your nut stripped on the tensioner? You can either use a piece of wood to push on the tensioner from below with a jack, or you can use a REALLY big pipe wrench to squeeze it together.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
Thermostat is hit with the electric ratchet one ugga dugga. Alternator is pretty tight by hand. Neither of them "need" torqued... But http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...tra/METRIC.jpg

Is your nut stripped on the tensioner? You can either use a piece of wood to push on the tensioner from below with a jack, or you can use a REALLY big pipe wrench to squeeze it together.
Thanks for the reply.

I'd still like to know the torque spec because I'm pretty obsessive about torquing fasteners to spec. I have a in/lbs and ft/lbs torque wrenches so I can get it right.

My tensioner nut is not stripped just wanted some guidance how to do it, where the proper nut to turn is and the direction to turn. It's really hard to see that sucker.

Thanks

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 PM

tensioner needs either a 19mm or 21mm six sided air wrench socket attached to a breaker bar. Get under the car
and it will only pull (I think towards the front) a few inches before you can remove/reinstall the belt.

Thermostat housing uses 2- 10mm nuts. On the Exige the fit is so tight you are very lucky just to get a socket on them let alone torque.
Snug fit, not overly tight, they are small studs.

Henry
'07 Exige S

Henry
'05 Elise
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:15 PM

Garage
7 ft/lb for the thermostat. Just did the job a few months ago.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in