v6 cup loose rear - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 07:02 PM

If you cannot currently hookup the power you have, I would work on that before increasing more power. When you can flat the throttle out of a corner that is when I would start to work on more power.

Just my two cents,
Eldon

P.S. You can always come south. We will be at Road Atlanta the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerman View Post

I do think though that the current lack of rake is messing with things a lot, roll centres rear weigh bias etc. Its really a fiunction of wehehr I setup the car properly as is(nitrons and springs), or set it up properly with the Cup r ohlins, and I am leaning that way because I know ultimately in year or two I'll end up there anyway.

So do I spend $ this winter on header and a tune, or shocks and springs. The V6 has pre cats in the manifold but no 3rd cat downstream as evoras do the stock setup is doing the motor no favors. Yeah do both, but budget intervenes, not least because the front drilled rotors are cracking and I need some slotted ones.
Sean,

IMHO .. get the alignment, rake and corner balance done correctly and test the car out -- dedicate a full day to testing and experiment with rebound and compression settings. Bring out some support to do (or help with) the work, so you can save your energy for driving. Yes, that would add a bit of expense to the test day cost, but in the long run pay off. Changing springs for the Nitons would be easy to do, even at the track, for testing. Do you know what spring rates came on the car from Lotus? I've been on the UK based Lotus forum for the V6 Exige since the release of that model, read numerous posts by people there who track their V6 Cup car, and haven't heard any of them register the same handling issues/problems you have experienced running the stock Lotus proprietary Nitrons.

No doubt the Ohlins are a better setup but are also quite costly. And, even with the Ohlins on the CupR, we determined that softer front springs provided some improvement. We also did quite a bit of work on certain "hard" parts to enable us to get the requisite camber front and rear milling front wheel hubs and relocating the rear guide plate to allow for greater adjustment of the eccentric camplate. My point -- putting Ohlins on your car alone will not be the magic bullet . you will still need to do some testing/experimenting.

As for more power, I basically agree with Eldon, assuming you are on some sort of budget. As "mods" go though, headers and a tune should run you less than Ohlins, parts and labor included. Getting the power down exiting a corner should be "correctable" w/o changing the Nitons out. More power is always FUN.

I have to admit, I'm surprised to hear that there are "cats" in your stock exhaust manifolds -- I'd want those out ASAP.

BTW, did you get my PM regarding options for replacement rotors?

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
boxerman

Hi Jack

Thanks for your response. The stock springs are a lot softer from what I remember will look it up. My experience with the Uk guys is they do a few track days on treaded tires here and there, and are still interested in streetability. Running slicks in a 100% track setup is different.

We have shaved the front uprights and the front end is excellent. I got the shims/bolts to put more rear camber in from Allen, but even at -2.6 the rear is not using the outer edge. My guess is the rake is still wrong and rear ride height so roll centers off. In any event thats something to play with for next spring as car off the track for winter.

Alex at Krugspeed says the answer is to revalve the nitrons as they have a damping curve like a knee, all hard and then they just drop off. By the time we revalve the nitrons and change springs is there really much saving over the ohlins? Years back I tired Nitrons on my elise and wile its comparing apples to oranges(elise aftermarket nitorns vs exige lotus nitrons) pretty much hated them so much pulled them off after 3 days and got Ohlins for that car when I ran it on track, so maybe I am biased.

Yep have soem peopel with the necessary alignment ride heigth equipment to come tot he track with me next year, its probably the only way we'll get tot eh bottom of it.

As it is the exige has a way softer ride than my elise now back on the stock blistein track pack. But soft springs should really be a problem on transitions not steady state cornering where they could improve grip and I have the problem everywhere.

One benefit of the manual box in the Cup is that engine mods are a lot easier than in the R. Looks like long tube headers(do you have these fitted?) and a tune should net 360ish to the wheels (420) crank. If I am not doing shocks maybe some cams too which will net out more like 380-390 to the wheels 440-450 crank and be better up top. Possibly a more logical route than the shorter gear ratios. Well engine mods are endless, so whatver I do will be something I can keep building upon, you know bigger intercooled supercharger later which will necessitate otehr dirvetrain upgrades etc. So for now it looks like headers tune and maybe a cam.

Whats really holding things back is the rear end not being up to the level of the front.

I did get your Pm on rotors thank you. Curious though which ones you run.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
boxerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
If you cannot currently hookup the power you have, I would work on that before increasing more power. When you can flat the throttle out of a corner that is when I would start to work on more power.

Just my two cents,
Eldon

P.S. You can always come south. We will be at Road Atlanta the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Agreed. But that rear end porblem has to be solved either way.

meanwhile wnat to get the cats out the exhaust manifold, its corking everythign up. So will probably do long tube headers and a tune.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:42 AM

is there any update to this post??. in particular i'd be keen to know.....

did you ever get a handle on roll centre changes and car pitch?

where were the ride height values measured?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in