v6 cup update - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By boxerman
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
boxerman
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ct
Posts: 404
v6 cup update

Each year we chip away at the car, unlocking its potential. A big shout out to Allen Strommer and vsa motorsports. Allen knows these cars, knows what he is doing and the work quality is first rate. he has guided me from day 1 with the car, and very change has yeilded great results.

2 summers ago we did the ohlins shocks and motorsport rotors, Allen built up the shocks to the lotus specs but not the Lotus price. The shock and spring change was profound in terms of handlign and stability, it went from a street car that could work on track to a real track car.

This winter I sent the car to las vegas to have Allen do what was really necessary. Specificaly in stock form after 5 laps there was significant power fade on the order of 30 hp with crappy throttle response to boot, due to heat soak, who knows the lotus computer is very limited. My global internet search indicates thats what these cars suffer from stock. When you actualy look at what the lotus computer can and cannot do, its pretty limited with lots of extrapolation from few sensors.

Mechanical upgrades were the Boe headers, iconel heat sheilds, cold air intake, solid motor mounts. However the biggest change was going to a motec computer. The car gained almost 40 ftlbs, 25hp, and this is power that does not fade. Also and perhaps more importantly the power curve from 3k rpm to 7200 is all there, no dips plateus etc, peak tq is there from 3500 to close on redline. The throttle is beautifully linear too.

The Motec also provides real traction control, ie a multi stage switch whereby if rear traction is being lost it first pulls some timing so you still have power growth but its being managed, as opposed to systems that just cut ignition of fuel which impedes progress.

To contextualise, without even trying, and second time out this year I was 3.5 secs per lap faster at MMc. Since it was second time out my driving was imo sloppy compared to how I was driving at the end of last year, also the new laptime is sustainable till the fuel runs out because there is no discerable power fade. Lastly with the better and more linear power balance avaialable the tire wear rate has gone down significantly especialy at the rear.

I woudl say once driving to the level of last year this car is 5 secs per lap fasterm thats before we start with using the immense amount of data now available to improve the driver.
The amount of engine data we can pull from the motec in terms of car performance is amazing, and timimg is set conservatively enough were not seeing the knock sensor activate at all.

Then there is all the driver data to get from the motec and aim system, ie theres much much to learn, and a ways to go in terms of speed.

I woudl say if youre runing your V6 car on track, or dont need cats, this is a great setup, without needing to swap superchargers or fitting intercoolers. Plus with the motec any other changes in the future like bigger blowers etc are easy to dial in.

Once again, Allen and VSA are the way to go for getting a v6 car up to potential, he knows what really works and what does not. Plus you get fantastic product support and backup.
Jack likes this.
boxerman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:05 AM
Registered User
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch, NV
Posts: 4,651
Nice write-up Sean.

Glad you are enjoying the V6 again.

Allen @VSA does great work and keeps my baby on track.
Attached Images
 

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
boxerman
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ct
Posts: 404
I just got back from 2 days at the glen. The only quicker car there was a 991 GT3 Cup car. I'd like to say its because I am good driver, but realisticaly the exige is just that fast now. For example there was a a hard charging 997 gt3 cup car and the exige was clearly faster everywhere. Not bad for a turnkey track car.

The motec is the biz, the way it controlls traction, my cofidence in the car has grown exponentialy ad that of course leads to more speed.

Frankly after being at the Glen I can say the car turned out better than I expected.
boxerman is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:06 PM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 6,211
I sure wish VSA were still here. No idea what I'm going to do when I need some work done.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
oldmansan is online now  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Registered User
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch, NV
Posts: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerman View Post
I just got back from 2 days at the glen. The only quicker car there was a 991 GT3 Cup car. I'd like to say its because I am good driver, but realisticaly the exige is just that fast now. For example there was a a hard charging 997 gt3 cup car and the exige was clearly faster everywhere. Not bad for a turnkey track car.

The motec is the biz, the way it controlls traction, my cofidence in the car has grown exponentialy ad that of course leads to more speed.

Frankly after being at the Glen I can say the car turned out better than I expected.
Fantastic, great to hear!

Of course, I must add...GT3's whether the new RS or Cups have never been an issue relating to lap times when compared to my V6 Exige or even the 2-11, but that, IMHO, was "driver and tire-dependent". In my experience, the vast majority of owners of GT4s (street or full competition/race models) or GT3s that hit the track are just not fast "tracksters" and/or they will be running some version of an R-comp street tire.

As for straight line speed----sorry, a Porsche GT3RS or Cup is FASTER, even if the V6 had an additional 100 BHP.

Check out this video of me in the 2-11 coming up on a GT3RS ....at first I thought it was the owner driving so I expected a point-by pass to be easy 'pickins' but then I hung back because the car looked like it was pushing extremely hard and I did not want to get too close in case he spun. Then, I realized it was the driver-coach (a very experienced and excellent race car driver and one of the best instructors at SM) driving--green light for me to push harder. The video tells the story and tires made the difference. Me on slicks, the P-car on Michelin PS Cup 2 R tires


Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
boxerman
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ct
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Fantastic, great to hear!

Of course, I must add...GT3's whether the new RS or Cups have never been an issue relating to lap times when compared to my V6 Exige or even the 2-11, but that, IMHO, was "driver and tire-dependent". In my experience, the vast majority of owners of GT4s (street or full competition/race models) or GT3s that hit the track are just not fast "tracksters" and/or they will be running some version of an R-comp street tire.

As for straight line speed----sorry, a Porsche GT3RS or Cup is FASTER, even if the V6 had an additional 100 BHP.

Check out this video of me in the 2-11 coming up on a GT3RS ....at first I thought it was the owner driving so I expected a point-by pass to be easy 'pickins' but then I hung back because the car looked like it was pushing extremely hard and I did not want to get too close in case he spun. Then, I realized it was the driver-coach (a very experienced and excellent race car driver and one of the best instructors at SM) driving--green light for me to push harder. The video tells the story and tires made the difference. Me on slicks, the P-car on Michelin PS Cup 2 R tires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs_IqvQGlX0
The 997 GT3 cup and the 991 Gt3 Cup were lowered cambered cars, no interior(cup cars) running micheln soft compound slicks. A Gt3 Rs is a road car, these were cup cars. The 997 was down to driver, the guy in the 991 knew what he was doing and that car was fast everywhere as it shoud be. Neither one of thsoe were turn key cars, the 997 had a dedicated tech there to help it run and the 991 was the same.

Ill compare than to my car, which has hankook medium compound slicks and I was 6 heat cycles in before the first day. Even still there is no way the exige would catch the 991 Gt3 cup car. They weight 2800lbs or less and have 500+hp, a wide powerband, lots of aero, paddles, 2x gripper tires etc.

Compared to a new GT3 road car, the exige smokes it pretty much everywhere, maybe slightly slower at the end of a long straight, but even then Im not sure. The Glen is also a big and hp track.

All in all Im really impressed with the exige, it came out way better than I expected, and thats rare with any car mod.

Last edited by boxerman; 07-22-2019 at 06:28 AM.
boxerman is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:14 AM
Registered User
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch, NV
Posts: 4,651
^^^^ I agree. GT3 road cars are no match for either of my Loti in terms of lap times.

GT3 Cup race car driven by a good driver will smoke the Loti -- even the Evora GT4 full on dedicated race car can't match the P-Cup lap times.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:30 AM
Registered User
 
eldonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
^^^^ I agree. GT3 road cars are no match for either of my Loti in terms of lap times.

GT3 Cup race car driven by a good driver will smoke the Loti -- even the Evora GT4 full on dedicated race car can't match the P-Cup lap times.
Jack,

You should know that the plural for "Lotus" is "Lotus" as published by the official Lotus Factory letter.

Later,
Eldon
eldonz is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:33 AM
Registered User
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch, NV
Posts: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
Jack,

You should know that the plural for "Lotus" is "Lotus" as published by the official Lotus Factory letter.

Later,
Eldon
Thanks Eldon.... but for me, plural of Lotus will remain Loti, pronounced /'low,tie/ .

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome