vibration in steering wheel....head scratcher. - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Sig

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
@ericthered
- ensure the mating surfaces of the hub ... flat and true...

Glen
Do you have a photo of how you mounted the dial indicator to verify flatness and trueness? What is the total indicator runout that is acceptable?

Thanks,

Sig

Whoever said that island life is great was never committed to Alcatraz...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:43 PM

Garage
Had a very similar situation. In my case turned out one wheel weight got knocked off / came off. Could have knocked it off when removing wheel. As soon as rebalance was done issue was resolved. Good luck.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 01:26 PM

Just removed all four wheels and carefully re installed. hubs and wheel surface smooth, tire pressures confirmed. Test drive shows improvement but still some vibration above 80. Some road surfaces change the amount of vibration even to the point of where I thought issue resolved. However it reappered down the road and is more consistent to happen than not. I did not see any obvious signs (glue) of missing wheel weights. It's not terrible but I don't recall having this issue prior to installing rebuilt dampers. Is it worth removing the wheels again to rotate and reinstall. Frustrating!

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:11 PM

Went out for a good drive today with some highway stretches. I consistently had the steering wheel shimmy at 80+ but it would go away completely for brief periods and then return. Not an issue at lower speeds. Road surface is similar. I've owned my Exige since new and never had this issue prior. It's difficult to believe the wheels became unbalanced sitting in the garage. Also I cannot see how installing the rebuilt dampers would cause this. So perhaps removed the wheels again and rotate a one location and remount? Any other suggestions?
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:36 PM

Paulhastings and ericthered have described, to the exact minute detail, precisely the experience I'm having with my shake.

Also, I just paid discount tire to rebalance my tires but they said they're already balanced and no need to alter them.

Thanks guys .... I can't help but constantly fear something far more nefarious at play when I watch my hand shake all over the place whilst I canon down the road at 80mph... It's unsettling lol

Last edited by lance_mn; 04-24-2019 at 04:41 PM.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:47 PM

I just read this thread and another and took note each time somebody mentioned how they remedied this. I noted 7 different solutions, some very different than the rest. Each of these is a person saying it solved their issue, not a person just suggesting to try something:

1) New tires
2) Rebalance at normal shop
3) Road hunter balancer (perhaps with lower pressure setting since the car is light?)
4) Rotate each wheel one stud
5) Clean the crap out of the wheels, both sides and mating surfaces
6) Ball joints
7) Hub centric rings (EDIT: If you have aftermarket wheels)

I guess I've already tried 1 of them, 6 more to go..

Last edited by lance_mn; 04-26-2019 at 09:21 PM.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:03 PM

I rotated the fronts one more wheel bolt and very carefully and gradually tightened each lug nut. Then I lowered the car so the wheels are touching just enough so I can torque to spec without the wheel moving. I've not driven my car much recently but it seems to have mostly resolved. Next time I remove the wheels I'll mark the wheel and hub to install in the same place. Hopefully this will help.
lance_mn likes this.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:12 PM

Thanks Paul! I'll have to try that.

In the meantime, I've learned that hub centric rings are used only in the application of aftermarket wheels, which I don't have. 5 more to go...
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:35 PM

SOLVED!

Holy crap, I had NO idea this car could feel this good! I was certain, before solving this, that the shake was only at 80mph - however, it feels like a brand new car all the way from 10mph up. I didn't actually know I had an issue at slower speeds. Obviously the 80mph shake was dramatic and pronounced in comparison, but if you have this problem, there is a VAST improvement to be had, not just at 80mph. I was shocked the moment I started driving and knew my problem was solved long before I got to 80.

Unfortunately I made two changes at once so I don't know which solved it:

- rebalanced tires
I brought them to Discount Tire. They told me the tires were already balanced and didn't need a rebalance. However I paid them to tear all the weights off and perform rebalance anyhow.

- used a new strategy for torquing
I ensured the weight of the car was not on the wheels while I torqued them. I had the car jacked slightly so the wheels only slightly grabbed the ground to prevent them spinning, then torqued them to 45lb, then to 77lbs.

Obviously it's strongly likely that I rotated which lug bolt each wheel hole is using, just by taking them off and putting them on without paying attention to the bolts, thus performing the suggested "rotate the wheels on the lugs" solution.

If you have this problem you should try everything in the list until it's solved. Amazingly worth it.

Last edited by lance_mn; 04-26-2019 at 09:19 PM.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:54 PM

Great to know you finally sorted out your issues. Now, go and drive that thing! Enjoy.
lance_mn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in