Wireless Rear View Camera Solution? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4380r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Wireless Rear View Camera Solution?

I haven't seen any recent posts on this and assume some better solutions have come up since it was last discussed. I'm looking for a wireless, always-on solution for an S240. I'm more concerned with watching my 6 in traffic than backing up so I'm looking for input on mounting points that are higher than the license plate as well as camera and monitor options. Has anyone done an install recently that they are happy with? Also, is an outdated phone the best solution for a high-res screen that doesn't need to be hard wired?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:10 AM

I don't now why you are stuck on wireless, it limits your options

see my thread:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f15...update-464062/

to see what is possible with a phone/tablet
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 01:06 PM

Garage
Iím also interested in a wireless solution. I, for one, donít want a giant tablet cluttering up the interior and would love the ability to wirelessly connect to my phone instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Lotus Exige BRG

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:44 PM

I had wireless in both Exiges, hooked up to be on all the time. I stuck with the license plate mount, though. I'm rummage through my paperwork to see what I had. I think I got them through Amazon.

had to run a wire to the fuse box in the engine compartment for power, Mounted the monitor on a hinged bracket under the dash, in front of the shifter, I'd pop it down when driving, pop it up, almost out of sight when parked to discourage a smash and grab.

Worked great, totally eliminated blind spots. Simply wasn't an issue at all.
VisualEchos likes this.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

4380R - thanks for the input. I'd like to be able to get a view of traffic behind me that is similar to what I get in my Elise with a rear view mirror . I like to keep an eye out for fast moving cops, inbound bikes and anyone else approaching quickly. I imagine the license plate mount is too low to be of value for more than checking what is immediately behind me. Did you find that to be the case? Regardless I'd love to know what you used as I'm sure I could find a way to mount it higher.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yynhymr View Post
4380R - thanks for the input. I'd like to be able to get a view of traffic behind me that is similar to what I get in my Elise with a rear view mirror . I like to keep an eye out for fast moving cops, inbound bikes and anyone else approaching quickly. I imagine the license plate mount is too low to be of value for more than checking what is immediately behind me. Did you find that to be the case? Regardless I'd love to know what you used as I'm sure I could find a way to mount it higher.
Couldn't find the paperwork, but I went on Amazon and searched for wireless backup cameras and there are tons of options out there. And more affordable. And higher fidelity.

Most backup cameras have a bit of a fisheye orientation, so you can also see things in your blind spots.

Does not give you the exact 'rear view mirror' level that you want. For that you'd likely mount it maybe under the high brake light, but at that point you still have to wire a power wire to it, so you might as well wire it to the monitor as well.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:32 AM

A few notes:

If it has a yellow video plug, it is low resolution video,some are really bad, 240 lines, but 480 max

wireless to your phone is usually wifi, which can limit the other things you can do with your phone, so make sure you know everything you plan to do with your phone while driving to make sure you are not hamstrung to the point you find it less than useful

As per my linked thread, phones are so cheap, why not have one dedicated?

90 degrees or so gives you a non fisheye view, more like a regular rear view mirror

The fisheye of backup cameras compresses the image such that details disappear, a narrower angle and higher resolution help with seeing what is really going on.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
I had wireless in both Exiges, hooked up to be on all the time. I stuck with the license plate mount, though. I'm rummage through my paperwork to see what I had. I think I got them through Amazon.

had to run a wire to the fuse box in the engine compartment for power, Mounted the monitor on a hinged bracket under the dash, in front of the shifter, I'd pop it down when driving, pop it up, almost out of sight when parked to discourage a smash and grab.

Worked great, totally eliminated blind spots. Simply wasn't an issue at all.
This is exactly the set-up I want.

2006 Exige
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:35 AM

No backup cam on my Elise.. no need.. but for my DD, i use this: $125 https://www.costco.com/Type-S-Solar-...100425010.html

The camera charges with solar power. The monitor needs constant power, so rather than plugging it into the outlet, i bought a rechargeable battery pack with micro usb for $10 that people use on their phones, plug it in, and since i use it only when parallel parking, the battery is still near full after 6 months of use.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerb0y View Post
No backup cam on my Elise.. no need.. but for my DD, i use this: $125 https://www.costco.com/Type-S-Solar-...100425010.html

The camera charges with solar power. The monitor needs constant power, so rather than plugging it into the outlet, i bought a rechargeable battery pack with micro usb for $10 that people use on their phones, plug it in, and since i use it only when parallel parking, the battery is still near full after 6 months of use.
I think even though it is not on a Lotus there might be some interest in a more detailed write up of that set up, what the app looks like, what the actual image looks like

You know, if you are bored....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
Quote:

I think even though it is not on a Lotus there might be some interest in a more detailed write up of that set up, what the app looks like, what the actual image looks like

You know, if you are bored....
No apps needed. The monitor is included, just turn it on, it syncs to the camera, and you’re done. No wires, no nothing. All of 5 minutes. Quality is good enough, you can flip/flop/mirror the image if you want to mount in different angles, and you can turn on grid lines. I am satisfied for $125. There was a company called PearlVision that used a bluetooth obd2 dongle to send the video feed to your phone(using their app) but the BT doesnt turn off so it would drain my car’s battery every night. This was a $500 unit that i sent back.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:21 PM

Pics of the unit.. also included a pic of the rechargeable battery i use instead of plugging in a wire. The grid lines are turned off but you can turn them on. They dont move side to side as you turn. Still, a good investment for $125

And yes, thats my DD.. the Jaguar F Type..which doesnt come with a standard backup camera. Need to get the vision package then the camera package all in all about $8k LOL .. F that.. no pun intended.. or maybe so...
Attached Images

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:

I just installed one of these backup cameras on my Exige a couple weeks ago and it's working well so far. I used a Rayovac PS92 phone charger as a power source for the screen - it was $10 at Lowes. I made a little bracket out of aluminum to attach the screen below the dash, and I'm using velcro to attach the phone charger and the screen (actually I'm using 3M command for the screen until I'm sure I like the position). Thanks for the info Beemerb0y!
Attached Images

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:32 PM

Seen at Costco:

I think they're on sale for $99 right now.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in