2010 Touareg TDI as an Elise hauler ? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

2010 Touareg TDI as an Elise hauler ?

It is the same chassis that the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7 are based on, but comes in a fuel efficient and torquey V6 TDI turbo diesel. Gets pretty nice milage and is super comfy and cushy inside. Want to use it to haul the Elise, and 63 Tiger around. I know a Tahoe or F150, Dodge would be a better hauler but the milage sucks and they are friggin huge vehicles to drive around town when not towing. It will probably end up being my bad weather and general winter rainy daily driver. Pros Cons ? Good Bad experiences ?

What I really want is a 1950s Dodge Power Wagon military truck , but talk about bad milage and huge lumbering beast..

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 VW Touareg - Support vehicle for all of the above

Last edited by delise; 04-27-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delise View Post
It is the same chassis that the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7 are based on, but comes in a fuel efficient and torquey V6 TDI turbo diesel. Gets pretty nice milage and is super comfy and cushy inside. Want to use it to haul the Elise, and 63 Tiger around. I now a Tahoe or F150, Dodge would be a better hauler but the milage sucks and they are friggin huge vehicles to drive around town when not towing. It will probably end up being my bad weather and general winter rainy daily driver. Pros Cons ? Good Bad experiences ?

What I really want is a 1950s Dodge Power Wagon military truck , but talk about bad milage and huge lumbering beast..
I have one and it's an amazing SUV with lots of torque.. a very good platform to pull a trailer

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Elise Guru

Quote:
It is the same chassis that the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7 are based on, but comes in a fuel efficient and torquey V6 TDI turbo diesel. Gets pretty nice milage and is super comfy and cushy inside. Want to use it to haul the Elise, and 63 Tiger around. I know a Tahoe or F150, Dodge would be a better hauler but the milage sucks and they are friggin huge vehicles to drive around town when not towing. It will probably end up being my bad weather and general winter rainy daily driver. Pros Cons ? Good Bad experiences ?

It will be awesome for towing an open trailer. Call Randy Chase about his open aluminum trailer. Its a steal!

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
It is the same chassis that the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7 are based on, but comes in a fuel efficient and torquey V6 TDI turbo diesel. ... Pros Cons ? Good Bad experiences ?
I test drove the Q7 TDI because I was thinking the same thing. However, I found the power to be a little weak just on my little test drive loop. So then I drove a V8 Cayenne GTS and was sold. For sure the gas mileage is worse, but it is actually fun to drive around town. Attached is a pic of my (4500lb total) enclosed trailer setup. Whatever you do make sure you get the tow package option - I used a Tekonsha Primus brake controller and it was pretty simple to install.
Attached Images

Scott
Red 2005 "Elige S" rally and road course monster
http://racing.tax-whistleblower.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottKnott/featured
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in