Anyone use a U-haul car trailer for Elise? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Anyone use a U-haul car trailer for Elise?

I found a pic on the forum of a member using a Uhaul car trailer to tow their Elise? I was wondering if you can get it up on the trailor from a normal horizontal incline without scraping the clam, exhuast or the frame underneath or if you have to angle it a certain amount to get it on without scraping.

Think I found my Elise But it's about 11 hours away and I'd rather drive up and put it on a Uhaul trailer to tow back. It doesn't have sport package or coilovers so it is at normal ride height.

Here's a pic I found here on the forum....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:25 AM

You need some 2x8 boards to extend the ramp length
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:19 AM
www.theapexinn.com

I just used a couple of 2x4's before the ramp started.... got the tires high enough that nothing scraped. ( That was for the Europa ....but, same difference )

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:31 PM

Fits perfect without the clam no wood needed

never tried with the clam on

“The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell

John 3:16
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:55 PM

A thought: Shipping companies with enclosed trailers aren't too terribly expensive, are insured in transit, and don't require you sitting in a tow vehicle for 22 hours. Just sayin'.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
A thought: Shipping companies with enclosed trailers aren't too terribly expensive, are insured in transit, and don't require you sitting in a tow vehicle for 22 hours. Just sayin'.
Still a good amount more expenisve than driving up and bringing it back myself. Plus I'm used to driving long hours every week...I'm an outside sales rep and I cover six states. I can drive half of the distance back and be in one of the states that I cover for my company. Set up a couple of meetings and I get my hotel and gas free the rest of the way home
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:14 PM

11 hr drive = 2 hr flight + =) 11hr drive

Am I missing something why would you rather drive a tow vehicle than an Elise?
Does it come with multiple sets of tires?
Fly over there and drive your new baby home!

Spend all that money in transport when you could get 26 mpg having a really great time. Man I wouldn't miss an 11hr road trip in my Elise for the world.

I look for and even invent/create excuses to take my car places, any place.
The farther away the better.

From what I've read so far either you are buying the wrong car, or you are insane, which = buying the wrong car.

05 BRG Elise - 9:1 built motor- rev 400 66mm pulley
04 Yamaha R6
02 Volvo S80
92 Toyota Previa
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWebb View Post
Am I missing something why would you rather drive a tow vehicle than an Elise?
Does it come with multiple sets of tires?
Fly over there and drive your new baby home!

Spend all that money in transport when you could get 26 mpg having a really great time. Man I wouldn't miss an 11hr road trip in my Elise for the world.

I look for and even invent/create excuses to take my car places, any place.
The farther away the better.

From what I've read so far either you are buying the wrong car, or you are insane, which = buying the wrong car.
Well, I am an insane kind of person but that's why I think the Elise fits my personality pretty well

I'm actually considering flying up and driving it back but I was being a little anal thinking I might not want to put all those miles on it driving back since it's just a long straight interstate. Now if I took twisty back roads the whole way back that would be a different story. But that would take FOREVER considering it's an 11 hour drive on the interstate.

I really just want to know how many people use the Uhaul car trailer and if it's difficult to get the car on there and how they go about doing it.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 PM

I decided one weekend that I'm gonna get the car. I drove to several dealers with a u-haul trailer attached, found the one I wanted, and trailer it 400 miles back same day.

As mentioned, get some 2x8 boards. I stacked a shorter one on top of a longer one, and then rest the end of the u-haul ramp on top. This way the first 2 board makes 2 small steps to the ramp, and no chance of the boards sliding out.

There's a trick where you can have the ball hitch attached to the vehicle, but jacked the front of the trailer up. This would angle the trailer down to reduce the slope. You can also back up the tow vehicle's rear tires onto a rhino ramp, which raises the front of the trailer. Disclaimer - I didn't need to do this so I don't know if these actually work.

The trailer I had looked different than that pictured. There's a groove up front for the wheels to drop in, and a net that wraps around the wheel, fastening it down. No strap on the back. The front chin comes close to the front part of the trailer, so watch for that. Make sure the straps doesn't rub against the clam. My car has sport pack but I didn't have any issue.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 03:42 AM

Fly there and drive it back. Who cares about miles, you're buying the car to drive it, right?

(I do go on road trips in the Elise. Drove from MD to FL this spring, planning to drive out to KY this summer, NE this fall, etc. Plus lots of 5-6 hour each way weekend trips lately).

Sorry, not really helpful for the actual question.

2005 LRG Elise--sold
2006 AW Elise
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 04:29 AM
www.theapexinn.com

Hold it.............you're in Nashville........... you need a U'all Haul.

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 AM
xtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMasters View Post
Now if I took twisty back roads the whole way back that would be a different story. But that would take FOREVER considering it's an 11 hour drive on the interstate.
Your new Elise will go faster in the twisties than it will on the interstate.

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 08:30 AM

I SEE NOW WHERE U-HAUL IS SELLING THEIR CAR CARRIERS, TAKE A LOOK AT THEIR WEBSITE!! THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO ALSO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ABOUT THE TRAILERS
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 AM
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_splinter View Post
Fly there and drive it back. Who cares about miles, you're buying the car to drive it, right?
Yes I'm buying the car to drive it but not as a daily driver and I will keep the miles down on this car as I plan on keeping it a VERY long time. Plus driving on the interstate is boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtn View Post
Your new Elise will go faster in the twisties than it will on the interstate.

xtn
Once again, just saying that interstate driving is boring to me so why put the miles on it. If anything I'll split the trip up and stay in the Gatlinburg area, take it off the trailer and go have some fun on The Dragon for a day....way more fun than interstate driving
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetBoost View Post
I decided one weekend that I'm gonna get the car. I drove to several dealers with a u-haul trailer attached, found the one I wanted, and trailer it 400 miles back same day.

As mentioned, get some 2x8 boards. I stacked a shorter one on top of a longer one, and then rest the end of the u-haul ramp on top. This way the first 2 board makes 2 small steps to the ramp, and no chance of the boards sliding out.

There's a trick where you can have the ball hitch attached to the vehicle, but jacked the front of the trailer up. This would angle the trailer down to reduce the slope. You can also back up the tow vehicle's rear tires onto a rhino ramp, which raises the front of the trailer. Disclaimer - I didn't need to do this so I don't know if these actually work.

The trailer I had looked different than that pictured. There's a groove up front for the wheels to drop in, and a net that wraps around the wheel, fastening it down. No strap on the back. The front chin comes close to the front part of the trailer, so watch for that. Make sure the straps doesn't rub against the clam. My car has sport pack but I didn't have any issue.
Thank you so much...most helpful response I've gotten. Sounds like it's not a problem to do this.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:12 PM

I just towed an 05 from Orlando, FL to Irvine, CA behind a Penske truck on one of there trailers. I used a set of 2x12 to get the hight I needed to clear the ramps. Then I had to unbolt the tire stops on the front of the trailer (3 bolts each side) pull the car forward and rebolt the tire stops back onto the trailer. Also the Penske trailer had chains for safeties, DO NOT USE THEM!!! They will likely damage/total your car. I got some tie down stuff from Northern Tools the night before I left. I have not looked at the u-haul units but you might want to take some tools with you. Enjoy your new car!

It weighs less then a ton, but you get 190hp. That's like putting a Saturn 5 rocket in a blender.

J. Clarkson
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 04:56 PM
RBH

Has anyone tried this recently? Anyone has some good pictures that you can post.

Do it once. Do it right.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBH View Post
Anyone has some good pictures that you can post.
Sure.

Name:  model-400x300.jpg
Views: 10098
Size:  24.3 KB

It may not be exactly what you were looking for but it fits the "good pictures" qualification.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 PM
RBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post
Sure.

Attachment 192687

It may not be exactly what you were looking for but it fits the "good pictures" qualification.
OK This is nice but seriously

Do it once. Do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in