Bought a Trailex - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Disingenuous Minion

Bought a Trailex

Good deal from Adrenaline Gallery in San Diego...Trailex 7541. Perfect for the Lotus or my wife's 997 in a pinch...

Its advertised as 19'-6" but is actually about 18'-6" tip to tip, so it does fit in my (tight) garage. Only 845lbs so can tow with the soccer-mom mobile too. Good stuff.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 07:53 PM
JWA

Very cool trailer. I need one of those. Or at least to rent one for a weekend...
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Disingenuous Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Very cool trailer. I need one of those. Or at least to rent one for a weekend...
Well, if you need one in the LA area send me a PM...I'm open to renting it out on days I don't plan to use it. It will be set up with balance and tie-downs, etc, specifically for an Elise/Exige in a couple of weeks.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 PM
JWA

I'm in the Milwaukee/Chicago area - but thanks for the offer. I would think that someone would take you up on it. I haven't been able to find a lightweight car trailer for rent anywhere. Just the big 2,500lb steel trailers.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 AM

Hey there....

I plan to get a trailer soon. Debating between open with a front air dam and Montrosse (they are built on solid alum base and they make a tilt up cover like a snow mobile).

For those who trailer, I wonder about an open with front air dam on how dirty/clean cars stay (not in rain). Any feedback? Is there enough aero dynamics to get dust and debris off the car...or is a magent?

Thanks.

Jeff
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 AM

I currently have an aluminum open trailer that has worked well as a starter. I am preparing to switch over to a enclosed trailer later this year. My main reason is that I often do 3 day events and want a secure place to keep my tools and car over night along with the ability to put the car into the trailer during bad weather. An enclosed trailer also provides personal shelter from the sun and rain. As far as the car getting dirty when towing, I have not had any issues unless it rained.

2007 Lotus 255 Cup, AP BBK F&R, Innovative mounts, RLS CF Intercooler heat shield, Railer diffuser, Custom hood Pins, gPan, Saikou Michi oil cc, RLS AL Intercooler tubes, Radium FST, 2Bular GT3 8X24, RLS suplemental IC Scoops, APR canards, CF rear wing, CF Scoops, Radium Fuel Rail and AN fuel pump adapter, AN fuel lines, 2bular decat and headers.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 PM

I have a heavy old Pace enclosed trailer and a monster Suburban to tow it. I fear no hail.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 PM

Nice! I'm picking one up from Randy this weekend!

2011 Final Edition S260 Isotope Green
2005 Track Elise LotusCupUSA
2008 211 FS
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Garage
Nice. I've seen some remarkably well accessorized Trailex. Looks like a lot more custom, very usable features than my Featherlight.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 AM

Trailex

I have used their trailers for years. Great stuff.
A very hot tip-----if you speak nicely to Ken at trailex,he will make up a pair of 8" wide fenders,the stock ones are about 12". Probably the best thing I ever did for the thing,it now is effectively 8" narrower,to fit in almost any garage!
I also use race ramps flat stoppers,to raise the car 3" in front only to make it easier to tie down.
Learn from my mistakes------------
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Disingenuous Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwein View Post
I have used their trailers for years. Great stuff.
A very hot tip-----if you speak nicely to Ken at trailex,he will make up a pair of 8" wide fenders,the stock ones are about 12". Probably the best thing I ever did for the thing,it now is effectively 8" narrower,to fit in almost any garage!
I also use race ramps flat stoppers,to raise the car 3" in front only to make it easier to tie down.
Learn from my mistakes------------
Thanks for the tips! The front tie-down is a challenge, particularly with a splitter. I am using axle straps around the front A arms to match the tie-down points. But its a b*tch to get up under there.

Ken will just swap out the 12" fenders for the 8" ones? Definitely worth doing that also.

Good stuff.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 12:51 PM

trailex trailers more stuff

It is not a straight out swap----------you gotta pay.
for the tie down problem,check out the "lashing winch" on the MAC trailer tie downs site. It is possible to tie down the front of a Lotus w/o stressing the splitter(using the race ramps flat spot item) or getting down and dirty using the MAC stuff.(lashing winch,rail,idler[the real secret] tie down loop, wheel net,etc.)
I am sure that other companies supply these things,I just wanted to point out I have no vested interest in any of these things,but they have worked for me in the past.
This setup has been written about in the trailer mods section of LT ----check out the pics of my set up----------
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisesile View Post
Thanks for the tips! The front tie-down is a challenge, particularly with a splitter. I am using axle straps around the front A arms to match the tie-down points. But its a b*tch to get up under there.
I never touch the suspension. Straps around outsides of the tires. Idler pulley allows the ratchet to be at a remove from the car.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Nice trailer ... cost? Only downside to that type of trailer are the ramps for those of us running low with big splitters.

And in a pinch, the trailer could be used for repairing the Lotus chassis

Rob.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robains View Post
Nice trailer ... cost? Only downside to that type of trailer are the ramps for those of us running low with big splitters.
Race Ramps.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Nice trailer for sure! I've been looking at time for some time myself. Curious - can you open the doors on the car once it's on the trailer - or do you have to clime in over the door? With my current trailer, the non-removable fenders are too high to open the doors - and there's no way I'm getting my prodigious girth through the window with the hard top on.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Disingenuous Minion

The doors open no problem over the fenders. I have lowered ride height by 2.5 cm and still plenty of clearance over the fenders. My car has been on a Featherlight trailer in the past and it was necessary to remove the fenders to open the doors on that trailer. Different deck heights, I guess.

I have 4" TR-4 race ramp extenders to help clear the splitter, by the way.

Very happy with the purchase.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 AM

race ramps ramp extender

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisesile View Post
The doors open no problem over the fenders. I have lowered ride height by 2.5 cm and still plenty of clearance over the fenders. My car has been on a Featherlight trailer in the past and it was necessary to remove the fenders to open the doors on that trailer. Different deck heights, I guess.

I have 4" TR-4 race ramp extenders to help clear the splitter, by the way.

Very happy with the purchase.
Thanks,I forgot to mention the Race ramp trailer ramp extenders. Splitter savers for sure!

And of course as you mentioned, there is never a problem opening the doors over the fenders. With anything I have loaded,and I have trailed cars lower than the Elise/Exige.
It is a really well thought out lightweight open trailer. In addition,it is eerily silent to tow,no rattles,etc.
You just have to get past the initial purchase price.
Kinda like all things in life!
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 AM

Price found about $6000 new. Interesting ... used ones seem to sell at about the same price as new ones. It is a nice trailer.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Guys so I picked up my Trailex from Randy, and I'm ecstatic! Here are my quick thoughts:
1. Trailer is around 850 lbs. And is "light as a feather". I'm pulling with a MB GL450.
2. Using MAC tie downs, I have no issues tying wheels to the D rings in front, and my Elise is quite low with a double front splitter (I'll take pics tomorrow)
3. With fenders low on trailer, easy to open door and get in and out of car.
4. I recommend the tire rack and storage box.
5. Everything is very easily adjustable, e.g. Tire rack placement on trailer
6. Ramps are long enough that I didn't need race ramps, although my splitter "gently scraped" as I was driving up (again my car is quite low with 2 splitters)
7. MOST IMPORTANT!!! If you are in the great state of CA, Always drive in the right hand lane. I was on the 15N which is 3 lanes, and I was driving in the middle lane, and got cited by a hard up CHP spitting sunflower seeds.

2011 Final Edition S260 Isotope Green
2005 Track Elise LotusCupUSA
2008 211 FS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in