Bought a Trailex - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Disingenuous Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastique999 View Post
7. MOST IMPORTANT!!! If you are in the great state of CA, Always drive in the right hand lane. I was on the 15N which is 3 lanes, and I was driving in the middle lane, and got cited by a hard up CHP spitting sunflower seeds.
LOL, I was driving in the "fast" lane on I-405 bringing by trailer home after picking it up and a CHP told me to move over and go 55. Its actually easy to forget the trailer is back there with no car on it.

Did you get a 7541 or one of the wider ones? I definitely need ramps with a single splitter. But maybe the tongue height on my tow vehicle is lower.

Interested in seeing pics of your MAC set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 AM

Trailex

Different models of trailex trailers have different length ramps.
My 7031 is narrower than yours and has shorter ramps and did need the race ramps for the lowered Exige,but not for any other car I tow.
Another trick is to "jack" the coupler up a few inches,or park the tow vehicle so the rear tires are on a hill,which effectively changes the angle of the ramps.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisesile View Post
LOL, I was driving in the "fast" lane on I-405 bringing by trailer home after picking it up and a CHP told me to move over and go 55. Its actually easy to forget the trailer is back there with no car on it.

Did you get a 7541 or one of the wider ones? I definitely need ramps with a single splitter. But maybe the tongue height on my tow vehicle is lower.

Interested in seeing pics of your MAC set up.
I have the 8045 which may have longer ramps.
The 8045 is longer by 1 1/2 ft, wider 2" , and 910 lbs vs. 850.

Here are some pics....as you can see the Mac tie downs come below the splitter towards the D rings. I think this may have worked because my front tires were not up against the front bump stops.
Not sure if my car was positioned right on the trailer, but felt fine driving it.

2011 Final Edition S260 Isotope Green
2005 Track Elise LotusCupUSA
2008 211 FS

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwein View Post
Different models of trailex trailers have different length ramps.
My 7031 is narrower than yours and has shorter ramps and did need the race ramps for the lowered Exige,but not for any other car I tow.
Another trick is to "jack" the coupler up a few inches,or park the tow vehicle so the rear tires are on a hill,which effectively changes the angle of the ramps.
I found that running the back tires of my truck up on Rhino ramps makes the ramp angle on the enclosed trailer good for most cars. The problem is the thickness of the door itself is too much for an Elise. Cue the Race Ramps.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Disingenuous Minion

Fits in my Garage!

Only 7" to spare and need to use car dollies...but the 7541 fits in my very small two car garage!
Attached Images

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Nice! Trailex trailers FTW! (love mine )
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:59 PM

I sold my trailex about a year ago to buy an enclosed trailer for a race car but have one tip for anyone with a trailex. Buy some clear spray lacquer and spray every single nut (and there's a bunch of em) Will prevent any of them from rusting. My trailer sat outside for 10 years and looked almost new when I sold it. Do it now while its still new.

Jim
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Disingenuous Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus270 View Post
I sold my trailex about a year ago to buy an enclosed trailer for a race car but have one tip for anyone with a trailex. Buy some clear spray lacquer and spray every single nut (and there's a bunch of em) Will prevent any of them from rusting. My trailer sat outside for 10 years and looked almost new when I sold it. Do it now while its still new.

Jim
Great tip. Thanks!
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Picking up a new (to me) 2005 Trailex CT-7031 tomorrow in Kansas City. I'm so stoked!!!

It has the wind break and manual winch on it as well as the spare tire mount. Any suggestions on where the wheel stops should be located to properly balance the trailer with an Elise on it?
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Disingenuous Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynone4 View Post
Picking up a new (to me) 2005 Trailex CT-7031 tomorrow in Kansas City. I'm so stoked!!!

It has the wind break and manual winch on it as well as the spare tire mount. Any suggestions on where the wheel stops should be located to properly balance the trailer with an Elise on it?
On my 7541 they have to be much further forward than I expected to get the tounge weight up: 82" from the tip of the hitch. Yours is smaller, and you have extra weight up front already from the winch and wind break so will probably be different.

I just used a bathroom scale under the front dolly wheel and inched the car forward until it was right.
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 AM

So do you all load the car forwards? Is there enough tongue weight that way? In the first pictures on this thread, all the weight of the car is at the very back of the trailer - even well behind the rear-most trailer axle, which I thought was a recipe for dangerous trailer sway. I've seen a few pics of people loading the car rear first, which given the weight distribution of these cars seems more logical. However, I'm completely new to this so I'd like to hear from the experienced guys.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Disingenuous Minion

I load mine forward primarily because the splitter is so low. I would rather touch the plastic race ramps with it than drag it on the pavement. Its also a lot easier to load by myself facing frontways.

The car sits further forward than I expected, but tongue weight is around the recommended spec. No issues with trailer sway yet.

In fact my particular model of trailer is know as the "911 trailer". Distribution would be even further to the rear with a 911 (I haven't tried to load my 997 yet though).
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisesile View Post
I load mine forward primarily because the splitter is so low. I would rather touch the plastic race ramps with it than drag it on the pavement. Its also a lot easier to load by myself facing frontways.

The car sits further forward than I expected, but tongue weight is around the recommended spec. No issues with trailer sway yet.

In fact my particular model of trailer is know as the "911 trailer". Distribution would be even further to the rear with a 911 (I haven't tried to load my 997 yet though).
That makes a lot of sense. As I just pointed out on another thread, I load the Elise much farther forward than I do other cars. My Stag rides in my enclosed so that the tailpipes barely clear the rampgate. The Elise sits so far forward that I can strap down the Race Ramps behind it.
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 12:27 PM

I've had both an open and closed trailer, and in both cases I've used one of my corner balance scales to set the tongue weight. The open trailer had nothing except the car on it, so the car tended to sit pretty far forward. I keep two sets of wheels/tires in the closed trailer, so that tends to require a little more weight behind the trailer's axle for good tongue weight.

The center of gravity of the Elise/Exige is probably just around the side jacking point (as we know from the qball debacle), so once the jacking point is past (i.e. forward of) the trailer's axles the car would be adding more weight onto the tongue than less (compared to an empty trailer).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in