Coast to Coast Shipping Cost (Elise) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Coast to Coast Shipping Cost (Elise)

Can any of you guys recommend any shipping companies that can/will handle shipping an Elise from one end of the country to the other?

I'm interested in all options and then narrowing down the field from there - covered, uncovered, towed on a trailer, mobile parking lot, etc etc.

I've heard prices range from $1500 and on up from there. I understand that some buyers have received great deals from their broker who included the cost of shipping as part of their purchase. For me, I'd be shipping the car from the Los Angeles area to Boston, not part of any new purchase, I already own the car.

I'm willing to drive to/from pickup and dropoff locations on either end if necessary.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:36 AM

You should be able to get transport for 1500-2000 on that route. I shipped a 4x4 from Nashville to Oregon for 1800, but it was uncovered and a non typical route (heading N up the west coast). I did an on line shipping quote service. Within 24 hours I had 10-12 quotes from different companies. I did research on all the companies and picked the best one (from looking at on line reviews).

If you go this route, pick the shipper you want to use, then call them back with your other quotes and they will drop the price. The longer you wait after your original quote, the further they will drop.

Also, be flexible on pick up and delivery dates. That will make the price drop too.

Zig

Zig

Stretch the limits of reality!!!!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 AM

Try and stay away from brokers, I've had the worst luck going that route. You really do get what you pay for..

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 AM

Intercity lines was awesome for my transport from Connecticut to San Diego. Same person that picks up the car delivers it. Very friendly and professional. It was somewhere under 2k.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 AM

I paid $1500.00 for an enclosed transport from Boston to Sacramento. First car loaded and did not move until it was at my front door. That is extremely important. Damage occurs when a car is moved on and off the transport. If you have found the car and are all ready to go shoot me a pm for the info.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburke View Post
Try and stay away from brokers, I've had the worst luck going that route. You really do get what you pay for..
You MUST research them if you go the broker route... Don't just go the cheapest route... It took me a month to find someone I was comfortable giving my baby to.

Zig

Zig

Stretch the limits of reality!!!!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:38 AM

uShip.com. Used them for countless items (motorcycles, cars, racing karts, etc) and never had a problem.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 AM

Reliable, Interstate or any of the big names in covered transport will be $2k+ easy. I used another company that I cannot name due to the damage they caused on my vehicle. In retrospect I wish I had used a big name company.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:56 AM

I just used Steel Toy Carriers for my Lotus and was very happy. Tell Ken Adam told you to call.

I would not use a broker
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Closer than you think

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburke View Post
I respectfully disagree. Brokers can wheel and deal to find the best rates. You just need to know how they work, and how to play your cards.

Brokers try to strike deals with shippers who need to fill out their trucks. It operates very similar to travel companies who find unsold hotel rooms at deep discounts. A truck with two empty slots traveling thousands of miles can lose money, so shippers will fill out the loads at a discount that is shared with you. However, you need to know the going rate first to determine if a broker's offer is even worthwhile. So call a few shippers directly first to get quotes, then call a broker to see if they can do better.

The hitch is that you may have to settle for a pick-up or delivery time that is not best for you. Once the deal is made, the broker should provide you with contact information for the contracted shipping company AND their driver so that you can follow the progress. Communication is key. Expect delays, especially with coast-to-coast shipments, as weather and other variables will inevitably change plans. (My car actually arrived ahead of schedule though.)

FWIW, myself and my son have each shipped our Elise and Exige from Southern California to Wisconsin for $1100 and $1250 respectively on very high quality enclosed trucks booked through brokers.

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 03:17 PM

Take copious pictures of your car, front, sides and back. Also the bottom and suspension. Sometimes they try to connect the hooks in the wrong place and gork up the car. Have a newspaper from today's date in the picture. Nicks, dings and scrapes are not uncommon and are frequently heatedly argued by transport companies. If your car has a hard top available, put it on. Soft top cars are loaded on the top of the transport (to avoid oil drips from staining the soft top), and are more likely to get smacked by a tree limb.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Closer than you think

Garage
To be more clear... Don't trust your shipping to some guy with a flatbed hauling everything from Chevy to John Deere. I worked with Mercury (broker):
Car Transport Company

They knew that a Lotus shipment required an enclosed hauler of high-end cars, and that's all they chose from. When my car arrived it was the "cheapest" car onboard, nestled in with some very fancy collector cars. The driver was a real professional who had delivered many other Lotus cars, so he was well aware.

Likewise, when my son took delivery of his Exige last year they had to first pull out a Lamboghini Murcielago. In both cases these were skilled professionals.

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 PM

I'm trying to ship mine right now using a shipper i obtained from Uship and I'm getting jerked around. The car was supposed to be picked up an hour ago, but the driver is still MIA and not responding to texts or phone. I just requested a quote from Mercury!

2006 Lotus Exige (S)-Nightfall Blue
2003 Dodge Viper
2005 Mercedes SL55 AMG
2016 Toyota Mirai (Hydrogen Car)
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 PM

I used KwikTrans in September 2011, and I believe the cost was about $1,200 for an enclosed from Los Angeles to Boston.
I was impressed with the trailer, but the car had some type of hydraulic fluid on the driver and passenger side windows. It was a pain to completely clean. The car was on the bottom of the carrier and I'm assuming it was subject to the leaky hydraulic lift mechanisms on the inside of the mover.
It's a tough decision. I have friends that paid 3k for a west to east coast move and they had issues as well.

Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 PM

It's been about seven years since I shipped an Elise from CA to CT, so this info is probably outdated, and I really don't remember the details, but with a quick search I found my post about it:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/i...73/#post282888
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 PM

I used Mercury Auto Transport last year. Cali to Alabama. Great experience, covered trailer, the driver text me an update every night. Top notch. $1200.

My agent was Tony Dalessandro 954-239-1780
wilhow likes this.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Looks like it's down to either Mercury or InterCity. I've got a quote with InterCity and it's reasonable, will check with Mercury too and see what they come back with.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 04:52 AM

Fly out there and drive it back

SOLD: 2005 Lotus Elise w/ Katana2
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySniper View Post
Fly out there and drive it back
I'd like to, but I would only do it if I could take my sweet ass time coming back and can't take as much time as I'd like off of work to do it.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 AM

Makes taking the trip and driving it back yourself look like a great excuse to see the country!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in