F150 with 3.7l V6 300 bHP - 275 ft/lbs - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

F150 with 3.7l V6 300 bHP - 275 ft/lbs

Well ya know I had to start this thread

I'm in the market for a Truck, I've actually pretty much already decided which one I'm getting (unless hear some horror stories), looks like a 2011 FORD F150 with the 3.7l V6 with tow package (6 speed tranny) - tow capacity is 6700 lbs (almost 2X more than I need).

I assuming because of gas prices, FORD are offering some killer deals on their trucks $4000 rebate and about $1500 below sticker ... I can get a new 2011 F150 4X2 SuperCab XLT V6 3.7l for $23,054 (generoulsy equipped) -- there goes my sequential tranny for the Lotus.

Offers expire 4/4/11 so I need to move on this.

Question: anyone have experience with this 300 bHP 275 TQ 3.7L motor from FORD?

Thanks Rob

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:06 AM
JWA

Isn't the Ecoboost V6 the better motor?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Elise Guru

Rob,

If you are buying this truck to tow. Don't. There is nothing wrong with the V6 its is just you will have to spin the crap out of it to tow. Look at the RPM where that paltry 275TQ is generated? That is where you will have to spin the motor. If you have ANY inkling to tow, spend the extra couple bucks at get the Eco boost. You lose 1mpg highway and that 420lb-ft is generated at less than 2000rpm. Seriously, run far away from that 3.7 motor as a tow vehicle. I have a 5.7L tundra and it has 400lb-ft but it still wants to jump to 5th or 4th on hills because NA torque is all generated at higher RPMs.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the EcoBoost does look to be the better motor (from a numbers stand point), but they are both based on the same internals and block which has me concerned over durability of pistons under FI pressure.

That said, I used a 2002 FORD Explorer with a 4.6 V8 that made less power and torque that the base 3.7l V6 and towed 4000+ lbs for several years (even over the grapevine many times) without a single hickup and no problems staying above 60 mph ... even at 65 mph it got 13 mpg towing.

But good point about the TQ and RPM 2500 ... certainly is food for thought.

Rob.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robains View Post
Yeah, the EcoBoost does look to be the better motor (from a numbers stand point), but they are both based on the same internals and block which has me concerned over durability of pistons under FI pressure.

That said, I used a 2002 FORD Explorer with a 4.6 V8 that made less power and torque that the base 3.7l V6 and towed 4000+ lbs for several years (even over the grapevine many times) without a single hickup and no problems staying above 60 mph ... even at 65 mph it got 13 mpg towing.

But good point about the TQ and RPM 2500 ... certainly is food for thought.

Rob.
If you checkout the testing Ford has done on the ecoboost, its pretty impressive. If you're towing Open trailer, its not a big deal, it will work. I tow alot, so I like easy, drama-free towing, which I am willing to pay for. As you have towed before and over the grapevine, you know what you're getting into.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 AM

Rob,
I had a 2010 F150 FX4 with the V8. A great tow vehicle but horrible fuel economy. I have a 2011 Taurus SHO. The Eco boost motor is awesome. Lots of power and good fuel economy.

Now I lay me down to sleep
Beside the bed a Glock I keep
If I awake and you're inside
The Coroner will give you your last ride
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, will have to test drive one ... fortunately finding one isn't a problem, finding a dealer who's not an idiot seems to be more difficult.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:10 AM

+1 on eco boost..

Jay-05' ST, HT, Touring Red
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 AM

I have been looking at the Ford F150 for awhile. I decided on the ecoboost. I got several dealers before ford incentives to $300 below invoice for a Lariat.

The only problems you can see about the truck on the Ford F150 Forum is that the transmission has had some issues. Many try to reflash the PCB without any avail. Lastly, some of the trucks have had premature rusting in the undercarriage.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 AM

Hennessey Performance is working on performance equipment for the F150 Eco Boost motor.
2011 Ford F-150 Ecoboost
3.5L Twin Turbo V6
Performance Parts & Upgrades
Coming Soon
There's Hennessey equipment presently available for my Taurus SHO that can boost hp from 365hp to 445hp.

Now I lay me down to sleep
Beside the bed a Glock I keep
If I awake and you're inside
The Coroner will give you your last ride
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Getting pretty discouraged with truck purchase ... I guess online prices (with so call VIN number of specific truck) is really just another bait and switch ploy. Get to the dealers and they don't have the truck and they don't have any truck even close to the online price (about $8000-$10000 higher).

The cheapest EcoBoost F150 I could find was $34,000+ ... what happened to the $26,000 ones?

Check out what one dealer told me, "Because of the situation in Japan, FORD is having to scale down rebates by 4/4/11 because they are unable to get parts for the F150" -- this is an exact quote from one dealer. I'm not even going to begin to try and rationalize how they make that statement work. So much for buying "American" trucks ... I guess I sorta knew most of the parts on American cars come from outside of the US anyway ... but how this affects rebates I'm still not sure??

Maybe it's time to see if GM are any different, FORD and/or FORD dealerships seem uninterested in selling me an F150 anywhere close to the price I see online.

Rob

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 03:29 PM

Stay far away from Hennessy

Phantom Black 2007 Exige Kold Fire, Tesla double din dash.
Black 01' Mustang Cobra 'Vert ("some" modifications) daily driver
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 04:07 PM

Another way to get another $750 off is order a brochure from online. It cones with a $750 coupon from Ford. Do all you negotiating without that value, then present the coupon. The dealer won't mind because ford is giving them that $750.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Well I gave up on FORD, they just didn't seem to want to sell me a truck.

I went to GMC and found a dealer very willing to work with me and I've got a deposit down on a GMC 1500 Sierra SLE Ext Cab with 5.3L V8 (flex fuel so e85 is an option) and 6 speed tranny with tow package (which includes larger engine radiator, engine air/oil coolers, and tranny air/oil coolers, super sized 3.43 diff that can be locked) 100,000 mile warranty bumper to bumper. Power and TQ are just ok, not great 315/335. The 6 speed tranny is supposed to be pretty good, for the most part the 6 speed variants seem to have good ratings/reviews.

Guess I'll find out, pick the truck up this Thursday night and Monday (4/11) I trailer the Lotus to SoCal for DRS/Kris cage and fire system install. Then more track testing at Infineon on 4/25.

Hope it can handle trailer duty during breakin period ... doooh!

Rob

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 AM

I like the GMC HD Concept, but they don't know when they are going to production with it. It is a turbo diesel with half way decent mileage.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Bought the 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE last night:

5.3L V8 Flex Fuel
6 Speed Transmission
Tow package (includes all the extra engine, trans coolers)
Suspension package (guessing higher spring rates and stiffer shocks)

XM Radio, On Star, Dual zone climate control, electric seats, mirrors, heated mirrors, radio/cd/iPod ... what is all this stuff doing in a GM truck?

Surprised how well it drives for a Truck ... think I have all three extremes of the automotive spectrum now, a Lotus, a Truck, a Prius.

Got about $6200 worth in discounts and rebates, but got raked on tax (9.75% based on your home address not dealership location). My truck came in about $10,000 less than equivalent equipped FORD F150 and with a 100,000mi warranty so not to concerned about reliability.

MPG rated at 15 city / 21 highway, average 17 ... so probably more like 13 real world driving.

Next stop is buying a trailer.

Rob
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in