LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Help me deck out my trailer (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f161/help-me-deck-out-my-trailer-126057/)

rosscarlson 03-17-2013 04:12 PM

Help me deck out my trailer

2 Attachment(s)
At long last I'm the owner of a 20' enclosed trailer. I've had her for about 2 hours now and already have a good list of to-do items. Here's my current plan, definitely looking for input as this is my first trailer. I'll be towing with a 2008 Pathfinder LE V8 which is rated to 7700lbs (I figure my whole setup will be about 6000). Here's my current to do list:

- Basic stuff like ramps, padlocks, wheel chalks
- Cut a medium sized windows AC unit into the front just above the tongue (I'll weld a support frame around it)
- Plastic slat "doors" (industrial freezer style) for the tailgate
- 110v electrical system. The track I hit for 90% of the season has RV hookups so I plan to create a separate 110 system for camping
- Interior lighting
- Ceiling fan
- 4 jug fuel rack
- small cabinet for tools/etc.
- External connection points for my pop-up awning
- Flip down tables
- 110v Winch (if I can get that)
- Lots of vinyl stickers (I have a plotter so I'm cutting those now)
- Mounting points for my 75qt Yeti cooler
- Mounting points for small grill
- 22" 1080p flip-down LCD scree
- Integrated speakers/amp
- Xbox360 and/or Boxee Box
- 500 GB USB hard drive with movies and every Top Gear episode ever.
- Verizon 4G MiFi feeding system (on corporate account so basically unlimited)
- Bluetooth streaming from my Windows Phone, Surface Pro, etc.

- Paint/wrap/plastidip the entire trailer black (many have told me this is idiotic as it'll be so much hotter but the vanity in me wants my blacked out Pathfinder towing a blacked out trailer with my black Exige in it). Talk me into/out of this.

My goal is to make it our hang out place and my "RV" for camping at the track. For the last 2 seasons I've used the BOE tow bar and tent camped with my pup so this will be a massive upgrade. I'm not expecting it to be RV level of comfort at all (for example I know without insulation the AC won't really keep it cool). Fortunately here in Colorado it's never that hot and it's almost always dry.

Here's my new trailer and my old setup. Thanks for any input you guys have!

Attachment 203201

Attachment 203209

-Ross

SwingLo 03-17-2013 05:15 PM

A shamrock is appropriate for today at least!

Sounds cool! Instead of a man cave, a man trailer. I like. If an rv vibe, some sort of removable or retractable awning.

A Bluetooth speaker set up. Stream music from your iPhone/ipad

rosscarlson 03-17-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwingLo (Post 1866737)
A shamrock is appropriate for today at least!

Sounds cool! Instead of a man cave, a man trailer. I like. If an rv vibe, some sort of removable or retractable awning.

A Bluetooth speaker set up. Stream music from your iPhone/ipad

The shamrock is pretty timely isn't it? I didn't even know it was on there, just happy luck.

I'll update the first post as I forgot a massive part - the AV system. I'm planning/have:

- 22" 1080p flip-down LCD scree
- Integrated speakers/amp
- Xbox360 and/or Boxee Box
- 500 GB USB hard drive with movies and every Top Gear episode ever.
- Verizon 4G MiFi feeding system (on corporate account so basically unlimited)
- Bluetooth streaming from my Windows Phone, Surface Pro, etc.

So yeah, the AV/IT system is definitely going to be rocking.

-Ross

R4Racin 03-17-2013 05:46 PM

Maybe if you leave the top aluminum and put an AWNING on one or both sides that is white, you can minimize the black sink issue. But an awning is obviously basic. Maybe you can work the window location so as to be able to watch the TV outside as well.

rosscarlson 03-17-2013 05:51 PM

Great point on awning - honestly for the moment not an issue as the track I frequent has small covered carports that I rent. I'll back the trailer up there and that's where the 110v hookup is. It gets so windy out here that pop-up/awnings can be an issue, I've had one ripped off an RV before. Fortunately the garage solves this problem - for other tracks I have a popup that I'll probably install some connection points to on the outside of the trailer. Good idea.

SwingLo 03-17-2013 06:22 PM

With all that it screams for tailgating at Broncos games!

philethier 03-17-2013 07:58 PM

I also have a 20' Bought it to take a Stag.

Race Ramps work great. I store mine behind the Elise, sideways and strapped down. Have the big trailer ramp marked where the Race Ramps should be placed for the Elise or Stag.

Trick to placing ramps:

Grab square of plywood out of side door.
Go behind trailer and toss plywood on ground behind trailer.
Unlock ramp and swing it down, stop about a foot above ground.
Stick plywood on edge under middle of ramp.
Now you can walk on the big ramp to get your Race Ramps.
Put Race Ramps in the right place according your marks.
Pick up big ramp and remove plywood.
Rest big ramp on Race Ramps.

philethier 03-17-2013 08:01 PM

Oh, yeah. I need to talk you out of the black.

That's not a shamrock, it is a 4-leaf clover. Maybe was an ALFA Romeo guy's trailer?

FistHammer 03-18-2013 02:27 AM

Help me deck out my trailer

You could get rid of the Xbox and get a ps3

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

rosscarlson 03-19-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philethier (Post 1867169)
Oh, yeah. I need to talk you out of the black.

That's not a shamrock, it is a 4-leaf clover. Maybe was an ALFA Romeo guy's trailer?

And is that just due to heat? I most likely won't paint it just due to the PITA factor!

philethier 03-19-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosscarlson (Post 1873001)
And is that just due to heat? I most likely won't paint it just due to the PITA factor!

I don't have a big enough shop to park my trailer inside. I know it would be a cookie oven in there if it were black. It's just the way I like it: White and scruffy. Don't look like there's anything worthwhile in there.

About tie-downs: I like E-Track. I never put a hook or strap on my chassis or wheels. All done with tires.