How long to wait for a transport broker? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Closer than you think

Garage
How long to wait for a transport broker?

Nine days ago I booked transport with a broker for open trailer shipment of a MINI Cooper from an independent dealer in Jackson Mississippi to my address in Central Wisconsin. The broker quoted $750 and is the preferred shipper/broker of the dealer. Monday of this week was listed as the "available" date but so far no transporter has even accepted the order.

Yesterday I made this email inquiry:

We are still waiting for pick-up of the MINI Cooper from Byram, MS to Central Wisconsin. The request was placed early last week for shipping Monday of this week and we still have no updates. Is this anywhere on the LMR priority list?

Here's the response I got:

Why, yes it is a top priority, along with several hundred other units. We will update you ASAP when we have a truck scheduled. The unit was first available on Monday & it usually takes a few days for scheduling.

So, as much as I'd like to tell them to kiss my @$$, I don't want to go the back of the line with another broker. Can I double book with another broker and just accept the first broker who matches a haul?

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:06 PM

Garage
Now that was a sarcastic response, I'm sure it didn't make you feel like a valued customer. Have you already paid them? If so, I wouldn't suggest double booking.

David.

2015 Dodge Charger R/T Premium (Daily Driver)
2001 Lotus Esprit V8 (Weekend Driver)
2011 Dodge Charger Rallye (Sold)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife's car but great for golf trips and hauling stuff)
2001 Superformance S1 (Sold)
1968 Mini Cooper (Sold)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Closer than you think

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusGuy48 View Post
Now that was a sarcastic response, I'm sure it didn't make you feel like a valued customer. Have you already paid them? If so, I wouldn't suggest double booking.
No, no money down yet. I'm just wondering if the same car appears on multiple brokerage listings whether that red-flags the whole thing...

BTW, I shared the email response with the dealer and they were shocked. They said it "would not go unnoticed"...

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:23 PM

Drop them and find somebody new. Lazy and bad attitudes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:19 PM

Garage
I would drop them and go with someone else if no contract has been signed.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Closer than you think

Garage
This is an old thread now but here's how it ended. After almost three weeks nobody would take the car. They all said nobody wants to transport cars north-south even though I volunteered to drive 3 hours south to a major auction lot in Milwaukee to pick the car up, they all acted as if Wisconsin was located somewhere in the Arctic Circle and they were afraid to come here. One place quoted $1500 if I was willing to wait another 30 days!

Long story short, I flew to Memphis where the seller trailered the car and I drove it home. The seller was fantastic and the car is excellent. The irony was that I passed several transport trucks on the route home with empty spaces aboard...

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 04:03 PM

Garage
I have shipped 4 cars. I've had experiences that are similar to you - "can't find anyone shipping from Boston to Atlanta" (translates to "can't find someone who will ship for the price that maximizes my brokerage fee"). Once you sign the contract (just be glad you didn't sign one), they will drag it out to the last day to book the shipping and then come up with excuses why the truck with your car is delayed.

The actual drivers and shipping companies have been very good but the brokers horrible. My last experience that did not involve a broker went great. One man show but he goes north/south all the time (Mich to GA was mine). For future reference. His webpage sometimes does not work but his Facebook page works (I'm the Model A on his page dated November 12):

https://www.facebook.com/Coast2CoastCarriers

Lifes too short to drive boring cars or drink boring beers. Just don't do them both at the same time.
No boring cars in our garage:
  • 2005 Lotus Elise (Magnetic Blue)
  • 1966 Lotus Elan S2 S/E (British Racing Green)
  • 1979 Triumph Spitfire w/GT6 Engine, Spit6
  • 1973 Triumph TR6
  • 1973 Opel GT
  • 1973 Porsche 914
  • 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce
  • 1968 Lancia Fulvia Coupe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:58 PM

Never wait for a transport broker. Never hire a transport broker. Hire only transport companies. I have had good luck with Passport.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in