How Is This Wheel Tied Down? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

How Is This Wheel Tied Down?

Sorry.....I'm used to tying down 4WDs and quads and so I have plenty of axle/frame places to attach to.

On my Lotus, I read that the best way to strap it down is by the tires.

I bought some e-tracks to install on my trailer, along with the round rings, and roller idlers to go with the double adjustable tire tie downs like this:

However, after seeing this pic:

I'm wondering if there isn't a much simpler solution that I've overlooked.

It appears that in the above picture, that they are using a standard 10K lb. rated ratchet strap, just going around the back side of the tire with some sort of short strap on the front side.

I could just weld a pair of d rings or shackles to the side rails on my trailer and strap it down that way, rather than dealing with the idler rollers, e-tracks and removable round rings.

Here's a pic of my trailer for reference:

My question is this: What kind of strap are they using on the front side? Where would one get this or is it something you make?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 AM

The detail of the Exige S pic is too poor to really see what they are doing, but I probably would not have tied the vehicle down in that way.

Wheel immobilization is a good way to secure a vehicle on a trailer because there is no risk of damaging a chassis part by using the wrong piece of the chassis to secure the car.

The additional limitation of cars like the ELise is ground clearance (which is why (I guess) the wheels on the Exige are tied to the outside of the trailer.

I bought a variety of pieces from this site: Ratchet Straps, Tie Down Straps, E Track Tie Downs, Cargo Straps - U.S. Cargo Control

FWIW I use a track on my trailer with anchors that can be moved up and down the track to suit the size of the car and the method of immobilization.

My preferred tie downs are these style: 2" x 10' Endless Ratchet Strap - Yellow [5310FE] : US Cargo Control

The endless straps have the advantage of being able to be looped through whatever you want and do not have to accommodate the additional length of a hook. THey also don't foul on each other in storage like hooked tie downs do when you just toss them in a bin rather than wrapping them up properly.

If you have tracks and clips on your trailer you can buy 4 endless tie down straps. put the clips close to the wheels. Feed the strap through the ring on the clip, around a hole in the wheel and then through the ratchet mechanism and ratchet 'er down and still be able to accommodate the low body of the Elise.

Kyle Kaulback '56 Mark VI '71 Type61mX '71 Type69 FF '71 Type 69 F2 '77 Super 907 '91 M100 Elan '91 Omega LotusSport 110 '05 Elise(custodian) '13 Evora S

http://LotusPALS.ning.com/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 04:28 AM

After a closer look at the Exige picture I'll come to the conclusion that the operator has poor knowledge of proper ties down techniques.

It appears as though they took a long ratchet strap and ran it behind the wheel (and probably over the suspension). Then they took some kind of additional short strap to gather up either end of the strap in front of the wheel, then ratcheted it tight. This will keep the car from moving but if the front binder loosens then the method will fail. In addition, not tying down the back could allow the rear of the car to hop around if they drove over a bump or did an emergency direction change.

Kyle Kaulback '56 Mark VI '71 Type61mX '71 Type69 FF '71 Type 69 F2 '77 Super 907 '91 M100 Elan '91 Omega LotusSport 110 '05 Elise(custodian) '13 Evora S

http://LotusPALS.ning.com/

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Kyle. I'll stick with the E-Track plan then.

I appreciate the input. This pic was the second one I'd seen of an Elise/Exige tied down that way.

However, after I posted, I thought the same as you.....you're pulling the tire outward by ratcheting it that way, rather than just compressing it down to hold the vehicle in place. Seems like you could stress something doing it the way it is pictured.

Thanks again,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in