Jeep Wrangler for towing my Elise? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 06:10 AM

Hey y'all, I'm within 90 days of trading in the '04 V70R for a '12 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.

I've spec'd out what I want, but I'd like to bounce what I've got off of someone more in the know.

What is the best Wrangler Forum on-line (wranglerforum.com ?)??

My needs...

1) Ability to tow 1,900 lb Elise on a small / lightweight Al trailer
2) Ability to off-road
3) Ability to car camp with family
4) Ski car
5) Ability to plow my driveway with one of these Jeep Wrangler Snow Plow | Ford SUV & Car Snow Plow | Agri-Cover
6) Ability to hand down to my 12 year old son in less than 4 years as his first car.

I wanted an FJ Cruiser, but the wife HATES it. She likes the Wrangler though for four seater convertible ability.

So, I'm going Wrangler Unlimited for the towing capacity (I know it isn't the best tow rig, but I'll get a Raptor once my son inherits the Wrangler). Has to be an auto as the wife can't drive a stick (which is good and bad), 4.10 rear axle ratio and Max Tow package.

Anyhoo, lemme know if any of y'all can provide any guidance or point me to the proper on-line forum.

Then again, perhaps I should go with a pre-owned Raptor. Hmmmm...

Thanks!

Frank Amoroso
Fun with cars

Last edited by Frank Amoroso; 02-05-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 PM

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 09:57 PM

The 2012 is downright fast for an SUV. I think I will stick to my defenders (which have nearly 8000lbs tow ratings in Europe) or find a G55, but I was pleasantly surprised at the 2012 wrangler as the 2011 on down were dogs. I would have no issues at all towing >3500 with an unlimited provided it had a class III or IV hitch (not sure if stock is class II but I don't trust anything without the standard receiver). The max tow package even has built in sway control!

2006 Autumn Gold Elise Lily RIP-rebirth by newowner
2007 Exige S Phantom Black Type 72D Trim Goldilocks-sold

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 AM
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Amoroso View Post
Hey y'all, I'm within 90 days of trading in the '04 V70R for a '12 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
My only concerns on those criteria might be the first car for your kid aspect. A Raptor would be cool, but that thing is HUGE which might not be great for a new driver. The Wrangler is an excellent vehicle, but the Rubicon does have the worst 60-0 braking time of any car on the market. Not that it's terrible, but it's not a strong point and those M/T tires don't help things. That might be something to consider. Otherwise it will work great for everything you've listed.

As to forums, I like JeepForum.com for quick technical topics, and JK-Forum.com for detailed JK discussion.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 AM

My 2012 is LIGHT YEARS different than the '11. I drove the 11 and then ordered the 12. The Penstar is waay different. 85 more HP and 80fp torque more!

As for the Raptor, sorry but that truck gets one a lot of attention. Some good/some bad. It's a magnet. A neighbor had one - he was a VP of Finance for Ford and had different Fords every 3 months. He said the Raptor was basically a big sign that said 'f**K with me'.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Absolute power does what?

Quote:
Ability to tow 1,900 lb Elise on a small / lightweight Al trailer
Aren't you forgetting you'll need to tow my car too? :-) Get the Raptor and I'll buy the trailer...
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 AM

Ahahaha,

Well, I shoulda mentioned that no way the kid gets a Raptor. Maybe if he was a gearhead, but likely not even then.

Raptor would be mine and even then it wouldn't be a daily driver. Kid would likely get his mother's '07 A4 Avant in 2016. Maybe she gets a 2016 Wrangler then! If she HATES the FJ she's gonna love the Raptor... heh

I've driven '11 and '12 Wranglers, and plenty of other years, back to back and there is no comparison. I'll still likely end up with a Wrangler vs. a Raptor.

This being said, the Raptor is a truly unique, current production, vehicle, which is especially apparent in a sea of F-150s. There are but a precious few unique current production vehicles that can be had reasonably affordably, kinda like an Elise in that way.

Frank Amoroso
Fun with cars

Last edited by Frank Amoroso; 02-10-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in