Shipping recommendation from Virginia to California - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Shipping recommendation from Virginia to California

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a good auto transportation service from Virginia to Northern California? I have done some research with general idea to avoid company like DAS and some generic recommendations like Orions or Intercity, but I am wondering if any California or Virginia based service providers will have better rate or service.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:46 AM

Garage
Honestly, best advice...drive it home yourself. I used one shipper who was awesome, but he only does west coast, washington to cali I-5 is his main route.

When I looked into auto shippers from Florida to Washington I learned A LOT in terms of how the system works. You may make your deal with a particular company, but the car will be loaded on a trailer where it is picked up (top rack because it is a Convertible) and it will stay on that trailer (generally) until it arrives at it's destination...assuming it is in the front top rack. However the tractor/driver will not be guaranteed to be the one that picked it up. Also it may be left at a trailer yard waiting to be picked up by a tractor/driver for x number of days before it leaves. Clarifiying how insurance works if the vehicle is damaged while "in transport" is hard to understand as well. Some companies say it is insured "while in transport", this means that if the trailer is sitting on a lot/side of the road, then it is not in transport as it is not moving. So any damage that occurs will not be covered...long story short I just decided to fly down and drive the car back on my own. The cost was cheaper, I would then know what happened to the car during transit, and all in all it just makes the situation A LOT better for you as the owner and the car as you get to know each other. Also understand I was only looking into open trailers as the cost difference between an enclosed trailer vs. an open trailer was something I couldn't justify in cost differences.

I have driven one car (I am on my 2nd one) back home (1700 miles) and the car drive back was a great trip, and done in 18 - 20 hours (I had a friend with me and one slept one drove). I would have drive the 2nd one back home, but the vehicle was not ready when I flew down to take a look at it and pick it up. So we made arrangements with a shipper the seller had used numerous times, which I greatly appreciated the driver when I met him. He picked my car up last, knowing it was the first one he wanted to drop off to have the least amount of liability. He also placed the other car in front to better protect my car from any other damage that the first car would/could see. And when he showed up, he said he didn't want to back it off the trailer as it scared him to much to possibly damage it, so he gave the honors. It was a rare situation when it comes to auto shippers.

Good luck with your search/shipping method.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 06:28 PM

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 06:58 PM
glb

I used Passport, one of 3 recommended by the classic car insurance co.

They were terrific.

It doesn't matter when they're based.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:39 AM

I used Intercity to ship my Cobra back in 1992. They were excellent but a lot could have changed in 25 years. Hard to believe it's been that long. 😮

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in