Shipping Your Lotus - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Shipping Your Lotus

Lotus Brothers and Sisters! Hello, great community here, really have enjoyed joining the family.

Can anyone recommend (preferrably from experience) a good car shipping service? I'm moving from Michigan to North Carolina in the middle of winter which is the ONLY reason I am not just enjoying a nice LONG drive through gorgeous country and mountains. As such I am left only with the option of shipping it.

I am moving with the ALLIED/Van Lines company and they offer to ship the car in the truck with all the stuff from my house (They say they load the car first, build a wooden frame around it, then put everything else in around it). Anyone do this before? Is it a bad idea for any reason I am not thinking of?

Any help is appreciated.

Disclaimer: Tried searching this topic in the forums and didn't come up with anything, sorry to duplicate if I missed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Not the admin anymore

Garage
I had a car shipped from Florida to Chicago in 2007 to me.....they used 4 D's Trucking. My car was days late, they claimed mechanical problems with their truck and I know they made a detour to another city to pick up another car. So I would NOT recommend them.

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Audi R8
I am no longer the admin. If you need help, please contact a moderator or send a PM to 'Administrator'.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Closer than you think

Garage
I went with Mercury Auto Transport for a shipment (enclosed) from L.A. to Wisconsin. They are a broker for qualified truckers and they did a good job. The key is communicate, communicate, communicate. Get ALL the details of the shipper and the driver's phone #, then call him to keep track of progress. If the carrier is not performing up to expectations communicate this with the broker. This strategy paid off, and my car was delivered professionally and on-time.

Keep in mind that these drivers are criss-crossing the country, dropping off and picking up cars, so a few delays can happen, but if you communicate regularly nothing should be too bad.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Not the admin anymore

Garage
Check out this thread.....

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f68/...dations-70961/

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Audi R8
I am no longer the admin. If you need help, please contact a moderator or send a PM to 'Administrator'.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:21 AM

I used Western Distributing Transportation Corporation to move my Seven from Arlington to Tuscaloosa. They were fantastic! On time. Nice covered trailer with proper tie downs (tire straps). The driver was great and very knowledgeable about exotic/special cars. They also offered the best cost of the companies that I considered.

That said, back in '84 I did use Allied to move my '69 T-Bird with my household items and they did a good job. Loading the T-bird was a problem, but we managed. A low-lying car like an Elise or a Seven would have definitely been a problem.

Good luck with your move.

'68 Homemade - yes homemade ; '69 T-Bird Landau 429;
'86 Mustang GT Ragtop 5L; '93 Ford F150;
'06 Mercedes C-230 sw; Lotus Elise - 2008 California Ed., Saffron Yellow;
'05 KG Elise Rebuild Project; 1964 Lotus (Caterham) Super Seven S3
Kubota L3010; Trek 5500; '86 Cannondale
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 AM

If you are relocating for work, and Allied is approved to haul cars under their contract, you may not be able to have this paid for if you choose another shipper.

I relocated with Allied. They sometimes sub out the shipment, so you need to find out specifically if it is them or a contractor that will be the shipper. That said, it will likely be in a box truck/semi. So the real question isn't how safe is it in there for your car... but HOW will they get the car in there. Unless they have some special ramp system like a car hauler, the ground clearance is going to be a big issue.

In the scheme of things, I'd choose to haul it on an enclosed car hauler. There is a lotus dealer up in MI (Fox). You could call them and ask who they use? They probably have an arrangement with a local shipper.

'17 Lamborghini Huracan Spyder, Grigio Titans (matte grey)

Previous: '07 Exige S, Laser Blue
'13 McLaren MP4-12C, Azure Blue
'16 Lamborghini Aventador Roadster, Nero Pegaso (black)
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 11:38 AM

I've used Intercity twice now - once for shipping my '67 Camaro from CA to MI and once to ship my '67 Austin Healey 3000 from CT to MI. They were great both times. Professional, on time, provided frequent updates - it was all good.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 12:42 PM
German Reimport

From my own experience (shipping the car to Europe) I can only tell you to make sure that they don't tie it down anywhere else than at the wheels.
Most companies use tie downs that hook into the deck of the truck and go around the tire. That's how it's supposed to be done.

The company that shipped my car (I think they were called safeontransport) tied the Lotus down by attaching hooks to the holes in the chassis which are intended to be used to check the chassis straightness.
The result was that when the car arrived in Germany the Aluminunm around these holes was torn out.
Most people will shout out "TOTALED", but I'm not too concerned since I don't plan on ever selling the car, and the material in that area really doesn't do anything to add rigidity to the chassis...
It's just cosmetics if you ask me.
On a positive side note the rest of the car was unharmed, except for a small chip in one of the rear wheels. It just cost me 50 Euros at a local paint shop to get the wheel repainted.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Modern Day Hippie

At my latest employer we use this transporter all the time. Express Auto Transport - (800)405-0914 | Express Auto has what you need in a trusted car shipping company.

They are essentially a broker that contract out to drivers. They seem to have the most competitive rates. You do need to have a bit of flexibility with pick up and drop off dates though.

I've shipped exotics, classics, and sports cars with them and haven't had a complaint yet. Only compliments.

You become who you surround yourself with - Sorinne Ardeleanu

Please don't message me here, my inbox is over capacity. If you'd like to connect with me please send me an email to sprvxn @ gmail . com . Thank you.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 04:00 PM

I just used R.A.T. (Ready Auto Transport) to move a car from Maryland to Denver a few weeks ago. They were on time, despite the miserable weather the driver had to navigate; the car was properly secured by tire straps and it was off-loaded perfectly.

Home | RATmoves - Ready Auto Transport

I've also used Inter-city and they were excellent.

I'd use either again.

Tom
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM

I used the shipping company recommended by Auto Europe (Lotus dealer in MI) to ship my Exige from MI to CA. I can't remember the name of the shipper (Reliable Auto Transport?). A sales rep for Auto Europe estimated that they have used this carrier for at least 200 cars without incident. I can attest that my car was delivered in the same condition as it was picked up. The driver was clearly careful and knowledgable about how to transport a fragile, low front end clearance car like the Exige. I would use them again without hesitation.

2016 BMW M3
2012 Golf R
2011 Exige S260 - sold
2007 Exige S - sold
2005 Elise FF Turbo - sold
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deddie View Post
I used the shipping company recommended by Auto Europe (Lotus dealer in MI) to ship my Exige from MI to CA. I can't remember the name of the shipper (Reliable Auto Transport?). A sales rep for Auto Europe estimated that they have used this carrier for at least 200 cars without incident. I can attest that my car was delivered in the same condition as it was picked up. The driver was clearly careful and knowledgable about how to transport a fragile, low front end clearance car like the Exige. I would use them again without hesitation.
I also have used Reliable Carriers - Automobile Transport, Show Cars, car transport and have used them many times. They are almost always the least expensive of the big three or four. they may be the biggest. When you look at the parking lot for the LA Auto show or the Pebble Beach Concours....the most trucks you see are Reliable. Tell them Tony *at* lotusowners *dot*com sent you. You wont get a discount, but they like to know when you send them people. I dont get anything out of it...just we as a group get better response if there is an issue.

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:03 PM

oh...Reliable is based in MI. Call their MI office. They will probably pick it up within a few days.

I would say this is going to cost you between 600 and 900...just my guesstimate.

You can call Fedx Transport or Passport. It seem like everytime I call them they are always about 10% higher then Reliable. Lately I have just been calling Reliable.

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 PM

I used Horseless Carriage to go from NJ to CA. It was expensive, about the same as FedEx quoted. They did exactly what they said they would do when they were supposed to. Not a even a fingerprint on the car.
Attached Images

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 05:06 AM

I work for Fedex and we have a very reliable auto transport system. If you are looking for kit glove treatment much like horesless carriage. Guaranteed delivery times and easy insurance claims. The Custom Critical guys who are essentially a division of subcontractors are highly trained in exotics.
I have used Allied before and saw how my stuff was packed around it from CA > NY. They multipack families for long hauls my only concern would be two cars on the same shipment and covering the car for potential leaks. They handled it well but would not trust my elise with them.

Elise 05 Bourdeaux (like the wine!)- Euro Exhaust, XS Cold Air, K40, Sport / Touring, Hardtop

1500 Dodge Ram
2003 Tahoe
Honda Civic 03 DD !
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 AM

Good Afternoon McDougieFresh,
I can provide you with a quote. I would need to get some more details from you if possible. We would need to know from where in MI to where in CA. Also would need to know what make and model of car and since this is a relocation is there any specific timing. If you could get us over the details we could give you a quote.
Thanks very much.

really have enjoyed joining the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCdougieFresh View Post
Can anyone recommend (preferrably from experience) a good car shipping service? I'm moving from Michigan to North Carolina in the middle of winter which is the ONLY reason I am not just enjoying a nice LONG drive through gorgeous country and mountains. As such I am left only with the option of shipping it.

I am moving with the ALLIED/Van Lines company and they offer to ship the car in the truck with all the stuff from my house (They say they load the car first, build a wooden frame around it, then put everything else in around it). Anyone do this before? Is it a bad idea for any reason I am not thinking of?

Any help is appreciated.

Disclaimer: Tried searching this topic in the forums and didn't come up with anything, sorry to duplicate if I missed it.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 AM
www.theapexinn.com

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!! ( On Getting OUT of Michigan ! )

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel74 View Post
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!! ( On Getting OUT of Michigan ! )
yeah..but next year or so you are heading to NY...are you crazy......

But to be serious for a second, the Finger Lakes region is really great and I had to live anywhere, Watkins Glen and that area are really nice. Tough to beat the back roads driving within 1 hour of Watkins Glen.

Tony Vaccaro
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
www.theapexinn.com

Not soon enough !!!!

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercity Lines View Post
Good Afternoon McDougieFresh,
I can provide you with a quote. I would need to get some more details from you if possible. We would need to know from where in MI to where in CA. Also would need to know what make and model of car and since this is a relocation is there any specific timing. If you could get us over the details we could give you a quote.
Thanks very much.

really have enjoyed joining the family.
Hi! Thanks for the reply. I originally went to your site first, but got an email back saying you didn't service my region. If you are able to service my needs, I would be interested. The time frame would be ASAP both on pickup and delivery. Pickup in zip 48336, delivery in Greensboro, NC. Let me know.

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in