Towing with the Elise - yes, no joke - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Towing with the Elise - yes, no joke

Greetings.
Since I now have a double set of tires (street & track) I am planning on towing a very light trailer (120 lbs) with my track tires on it (and a few tools.) The whole thing should not exceed 200 lbs.
Anyways... the trailer came with electrical connections so it can show when I brake, blink right/left, have my lights on.

Now for the trick question, anyone can indicate to me how to connect those 4 wires to the Elise? I figure I can piggy-back from the trunk and I can also figure it out by myself but if anyone has done this before...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 04:15 PM

I am more curious on how you are rigging up the hitch
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 04:18 PM

Phils done it, and i looks feasible

check out BOE

2006 Exige (wife's car)
2005 Caterham Superlight (4 wheel motorcycle)
2004 Subaru STI (Urban Assault Vehicle)
1966 Lincoln Continental - in progress (dropped and chopped)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Plug Whisperer

I've built a bunch of tow bars for the elise/exige, FWIW.

Info in my sig that links to the LT thread and then a few pics on BOE site... It's doable. I tow a trailer all over the place with tires, tools, jack, tents, and chairs and I'm sure it weighs over 200 lbs. No step too big for a stepper

Best,

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 05:01 PM

You could splice into the brake and indicator wiring and route the wires though the rectangular hole that most (not all) cars have above the rear license plate. One word of caution, the resistance of an additional indicator bulb may cause the flashing rate to change.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Greetings.
Since I now have a double set of tires (street & track) I am planning on towing a very light trailer (120 lbs) with my track tires on it (and a few tools.) The whole thing should not exceed 200 lbs.
Anyways... the trailer came with electrical connections so it can show when I brake, blink right/left, have my lights on.

Now for the trick question, anyone can indicate to me how to connect those 4 wires to the Elise? I figure I can piggy-back from the trunk and I can also figure it out by myself but if anyone has done this before...

Thanks!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 05:56 PM

Big negative there on the splicing. Our Lights (LEDS) do not like the scotch locks. The stock '05 lamps are okay, though. A way to do it is, sans the third brake light and use that for your trailer brake lamps, signal are okay as they are not LED. Or you can cut and solder into the LEDS wire harness and all will be good. I hope this little tid bit helps.

2005 Elise Starlight Black
1991 Elan Monaco White
1973 Triumph Stag, second owner.
1975 XJ12C Jaguar pillarless coupe.
1960 Daimler Limo, drives great look like hell, project in the works.

Last edited by British_Marques; 10-03-2009 at 06:03 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

"Sans the third brake light"? What exactly do you mean by that?

Thanks

PS: and yes, I am using the BOE tow bar. I just received it 3 days ago. I'll take pics of the install but it looks fairly easy.
If you access another part of this site: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f172...-supply-68902/

You can see how it is installed.I also just noticed that TurboPhil did not install the electrical system which came with the Harbor Freight trailer. Maybe I do not need it as well but since I'll do some late evening back traveling (back from the track) perhaps just installing some battery powered red lights would be enough... I'll think about it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:52 AM

I just got a BOE tow bar too. How did you end up wiring your trailer lights? I have a 2006 Exige so all the tail lights are LED. I don't want to mess anything up when I tap in for the trailer lights.

Thanks,

Dan
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Brake lights for the trailer off the Elise

Well, after reading the possible troubles that awaits someone wanting to tap off LED lights/circuits, I decided that it would be much more convenient to attach my own set of LED lights to the trailer. So I went to a bike shop and got 4 bicycle lights. The ones I got have 5 LEDs each. I turn them on by default (even in day time) as I drive. The batteries, it states, last over 70 hours of "on" time.

I attach them with velcro. I drove with that set up over 300 miles 3 weeks ago and did not lose any. ;-) This is very simple and headache free.

I also taped reflective tape all around the trailer.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:02 PM

Trailers need working brake lights per CA regulation:

Quote:
Trailer Lights

Trailers in California are required to have reflectors, tail lights, brake, and license plate lights. Also, signal lights are required if the tow vehicle lights are hidden. Trailers over 80 inches wide must have clearance lights. Most manufacturers comply with these requirements, however, it is up to you to be sure that all lights operate correctly.
CA DMV
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

With the small trailer as obtained via Harbor Freight, even with the tires loaded, on the Elise (lights are fairly high) one can easily see the car's brake lights and turn signal lights. I am using the front license plate as the trailer's license plate and that can also be easily illuminated by clear LEDs. Reflectors can easily be added (glued or velcro'ed). So, yes a cop could still pull me over technically. It all depends on his or her mood that day whether or not I would get a ticket.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 12:26 PM

Anyone figure out how to wire the turn signals, running lights, and brake lights??
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Tire abuser

Garage
Reviving an old thread... It seems to have been left hanging anyway.

I have the BOE hitch and a track/tire trailer that I want to wire the tail lights on. If you install LED tail lights with something like these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...hp17/612/1856/

Would it then be OK to wire directly into the Elise tail light and brake light wires? It seems like the current draw would be minimal.

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 07:19 AM

I wired directly to my taillight and brake light wiring for my harness and it ran the lights on my harbor freight trailer just fine. My Elise was an 05, not sure if that matters.
If memory serves correct, I think I may have gotten a box that converts the individual brake/tails that the Elise has into a combined signal needed for my trailer.
Something like this:
Tow Ready Part tow119130 - Tail Light Converter - - 4 Wheel Parts
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Tire abuser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06fun View Post
I wired directly to my taillight and brake light wiring for my harness and it ran the lights on my harbor freight trailer just fine. My Elise was an 05, not sure if that matters.
If memory serves correct, I think I may have gotten a box that converts the individual brake/tails that the Elise has into a combined signal needed for my trailer.
Something like this:
Tow Ready Part tow119130 - Tail Light Converter - - 4 Wheel Parts
Thanks for the reply....

That is probably what I need to do... Mine is an '06 with LED tail lights. I just don't like adding "stuff" like that to my car if it is not needed. I was hoping LEDs could wire right to the other LEDs.

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrac View Post
Reviving an old thread... It seems to have been left hanging anyway.

I have the BOE hitch and a track/tire trailer that I want to wire the tail lights on. If you install LED tail lights with something like these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...hp17/612/1856/

Would it then be OK to wire directly into the Elise tail light and brake light wires? It seems like the current draw would be minimal.
Can't wait to see that rig (been giving thoughts about doing it at some point too)... Are you signed up for June 7/8th MSR? I'll be there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in