Towing to the Track, What do you use? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Talking Towing to the Track, What do you use?

So I'm thinking about cutting 4 inches off my penis and unlearning how to drive so I can be eligible to buy an SUV... What do you guys/girls use to tow your cars to the track if you don't drive them there. I have an 06' Exige and a 97 993 that I don't want to put excessive mileage on driving back and forth between tracks throughout the year. Also what trailers do you strap to them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 04:39 PM

V8 Ford Explorer 2WD. Its the wifes, honest.

Toyota Tacoma 4-door Pickup V6 Auto. It gets 17MPG with the Lotus/trailer hooked up. The Toyota brakes would be overtaxed if the trailer didn't have 'em.

Trailer is a 16' 7000# GVW 2-axle dove tail with brakes on one axle. Definately overkill for the Elise.

A much smaller trailer would suffice.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 04:40 PM

I went for most towing power for the least price since I was only going to utilize the vehicle for towing. I bought an F-150 work truck, nothing fancy, grey cloth seats, white paint, and manual mirrors (wish I had gotten remote ones). For the trailer I decide to go with a Sloan's Kwik Load. I can load the trailer relatively quickly by myself. I had them put e-track on the trailer and use e-track tire bonnets from eTrailer to hold it down. I'll see if I can find I pic of the setup.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
I went for most towing power for the least price since I was only going to utilize the vehicle for towing. I bought an F-150 work truck, nothing fancy, grey cloth seats, white paint, and manual mirrors (wish I had gotten remote ones). For the trailer I decide to go with a Sloan's Kwik Load. I can load the trailer relatively quickly by myself. I had them put e-track on the trailer and use e-track tire bonnets from eTrailer to hold it down. I'll see if I can find I pic of the setup.
I'd be interested in your set up if you could find pics/links.
I think I am eventually going to go with one of those (expensive) aluminum trailers that were talked about on the forum a few months ago. I don't want to have to buy a new tow vehicle. I have very low mileage 2002 Pathfinder with 240bhp/265lb-ft. which is rated at 5000lbs. I figure with one of those light weight trailers and the required electric braking system on the trailer I should be OK.

DRS Tuned FF275 '06 Exige - Sold

My racing prediction for '09 . . . the Japanese guy on the Italian bike and the Italian guy on the Japanese bike.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:49 PM

I enjoy my Yukon, not that I tow with it. It's comfortable and does it's thing well. Really, any full size P/U or SUV will do the job. But, if you're going to get another vehicle, think about what else you can do with it. Drive people around? Haul mulch? Home Depot? Whatever. A no-frills work truck might be the right answer, but consider an SUV. With the new Tahoes/Yukons out, you should be able to get a used one of the prior body style for next to nothing. If it's going to take up driveway/garage space, it should be useful for more than just the drive to the track.

And, if your drives to the track are that long, you'll want something with a decent interior.

And, used trucks hold their value well and are low maintenance.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:07 PM

my mobile garage. it has AC, air compressor, tool box thats attached to cabinetry, microwave, shade awning and a generator. i got it used on ebay. i love it almost as much as my Elise. All my track stuff is in there, and track day comes, i just hook up to the truck, and off i go. its a 24' trailer. towing it can be with most any truck/suv. you need trailer brakes in the tow vehicle(a must), and make sure to get an equalizer hitch and anti sway bar on the hitch as well. longer wheel based vehicles seem to tow easier than short wheelbased. i use a dually, and dont know the trailer is back there, but when i have used my 3/4 ton truck with a shortbed(short wheel base), its a bit of an "adventure". check ebay for trailers, i saved big coin on mine, and had money to buy car parts with instead of loosing it on depreciation of a new trailer.
Attached Images

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

How much did that run you fishguy?
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:21 PM

with all the extras on it the origonal owner paid ~$22K.
I got it for $8,000. when i am done with it, i am sure i can get my $8K back.
buy used, and shop around. ebay was a great asset in the seach( i think i looked under enclosed trailers). this one is built by Pace, I also have a Haulmark trailer which seems to be well built also.
investigate the brand you buy, some trailers are junk, some are not. It was 100 degress plus last saturday at the track, the AC was really nice to have , and being able to cook at the trackday with the microwave was nice also. Sure beats an expensive "track burger" that rots in your gut.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:28 PM

I wouldn't tow with anything but a diesel truck. Gas just doesn't make any sense IMO.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs
I wouldn't tow with anything but a diesel truck. Gas just doesn't make any sense IMO.
Unless diesel isn't convenient, and towing is only a part time use.
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Ram

I think you get great bang for the buck and great towing capacity with a used, full-size pickup. My Ram 2500 pulls a steel trailer and a 3000 lb. car like there's nothing there.

2005 Elise
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLo
Unless diesel isn't convenient, and towing is only a part time use.
How's Enzyte working for you? Are you the talk of the neighborhood?
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:26 AM

Nissan Titan (tons of torque, I love this truck) and flatbed. It would be nice to have a closed container but damn those things are expensive. Also, I use a horse saddle strap around each strap to prevent damge to my wheels (sorry, no pics of that but it works great).
Attached Images

My car both sucks and blows.

Now with added all natural smoky goodness!
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:35 AM

originally posted by mpsalm:
Quote:
So I'm thinking about cutting 4 inches off my penis and unlearning how to drive so I can be eligible to buy an SUV...
LMAO

When I did tow, I had a used Discovery. POS unreliable, but it could pull a house.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:41 AM

I am also very interested in getting a trailer for my 06 Exige. I have an 02 F150 (V6) and would like to get a trailer. Any links/help is appreciated!

Thanks!
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:47 AM

The combo of the F-150 and an aluminum trailer works great. With the Elise being so light and the lightweight Featherlite trailer, the only difficult part of towing is keeping the speed down.
Attached Images

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:50 AM

Also any body know where to buy them in california?
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:51 AM

Hey Jack, thought you were on vacation

I really like the trailer you got but am looking for something a little less expensive. Where did you get yours at?

Thanks!
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
The combo of the F-150 and an aluminum trailer works great. With the Elise being so light and the lightweight Featherlite trailer, the only difficult part of towing is keeping the speed down.
Did your trailer come with the air dam?

I does look nice

Providing an opportunity for others to live vicariously through me since 2004
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reemo
Also any body know where to buy them in california?
http://www.fthr.com/trailers/cat_template.cfm?cat=car

If you click on dealer services the dealer locator comes up

http://www.fthr.com/dealers/index.cf...valley&cat=new

That dealer is in SoCal.

Providing an opportunity for others to live vicariously through me since 2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in