Towing to the Track, What do you use? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
There is a guy in San Diego selling his enclosed lightweight transporter for a great price. It is only a few years old and has added a lot of money in cabinets, etc. $4999.00

Quote:
Trailer for sale
2002 Interstate enclosed trailer only 4,999.00

It has
2 sets of overhead cabinets L shaped
Workbench with lower cabinets and Craftsman tool box
(just did the cabinets 1 year ago and paid 3k)

Winch, New tires, two spares

Paid 6k for trailer, about 10k total invested...

It is 21 feet of enclosed space, beavertail rear entry (a must for low cars)... Large side door... Located in Poway....

Dual axel, electric brakes, fold down rear door...

Weight, on interstates web site it says the weight is 3390 (no cabinets)... Here is the link for more info http://interstatewest.com/redocs/ICC.pdf

Model ICC10220TA2

Must sell 4,999.00 OBO call 858 229 1539

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguyAZ
my mobile garage. it has AC, air compressor, tool box thats attached to cabinetry, microwave, shade awning and a generator. i got it used on ebay. i love it almost as much as my Elise. All my track stuff is in there, and track day comes, i just hook up to the truck, and off i go. its a 24' trailer. towing it can be with most any truck/suv. you need trailer brakes in the tow vehicle(a must), and make sure to get an equalizer hitch and anti sway bar on the hitch as well. longer wheel based vehicles seem to tow easier than short wheelbased. i use a dually, and dont know the trailer is back there, but when i have used my 3/4 ton truck with a shortbed(short wheel base), its a bit of an "adventure". check ebay for trailers, i saved big coin on mine, and had money to buy car parts with instead of loosing it on depreciation of a new trailer.
fishguyAZ, what kind of straps are you using in your 3rd pic? Are those axle straps through your wheels? Does it work well?

My car both sucks and blows.

Now with added all natural smoky goodness!
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:15 AM

I've got a 1996 Chevy Dually - big block gasser.

Trailer is a 26' (22' in the box) enclosed Wells Cargo trailer with custom cabinets.

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reemo
Hey Jack, thought you were on vacation

I really like the trailer you got but am looking for something a little less expensive. Where did you get yours at?

Thanks!
I am -- regards from Martha's Vineyard.

Bought the trailer from a local dealer in Chino Hills -- I believe Patrick gave you the link for the dealer locator.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs
I wouldn't tow with anything but a diesel truck. Gas just doesn't make any sense IMO.

uhh, a 06' ford f250 diesel gets 17mpg.. our 04' ford f150 triton v8 gets 16mpg.. only upside is the 570lb/tq..

Jay-05' ST, HT, Touring Red
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choi0706
uhh, a 06' ford f250 diesel gets 17mpg.. our 04' ford f150 triton v8 gets 16mpg.. only upside is the 570lb/tq..
Once under load those numbers will differ drastically. The heavier payload and trailer the wider that gap will become.

Sold: Ardent Red, LSS, Touring, Hard Top
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:09 AM

my figure was what the dash says.. our f150 gets an average of 16mpg pulling the boat, at low speeds..

Jay-05' ST, HT, Touring Red
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:44 AM

wow, that's really good. As a comparison I had a dodge V10 dually and a diesel dually, exact same trucks save the engine. Towing a 6 horse trailer with living quarters the gas truck got 2-3 mpgs at highway speeds, the diesel got 10.

Sold: Ardent Red, LSS, Touring, Hard Top
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase
There is a guy in San Diego selling his enclosed lightweight transporter for a great price. It is only a few years old and has added a lot of money in cabinets, etc. $4999.00
someone buy this trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:27 PM

I use a Yukon XL with a 8.1 engine...24ft enclosed trailer...8mpg pulling

Dan
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtr
fishguyAZ, what kind of straps are you using in your 3rd pic? Are those axle straps through your wheels? Does it work well?
I am not sure what they are called, they are 3" and have rachets to tighten them. i run them through the wheel, and then snug the car up, but not real tight so i dont bend anything. the car never moves on me in towing. they have an adjustable part to wrap around the wheel tightly. if you would like i will snap a picture of them when i put the car on ramps to work on it this weekend. keep the car in neutral when towing, and i tighten it up w/o parking brake on, then when satisfied, i engage the parking brake last. just dont crank things down to tight or you will bend something. I would be careful about mail ordering these, as you want to make sure that you clear all your body work on your car(front clam was an issue with many i tried), and might be best off buying locally so you can test them. I did mount a few new tie down points in the trailer so it was set up just right for the lotus with a good angle to clear my body work.
Josh
post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLo
Unless diesel isn't convenient, and towing is only a part time use.
Diesel no convenient? Huh? Should get better gas mileage either way than a gas powered truck. Diesels get roughly the same gas mileage towing or not towing.
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 03:44 PM

I use this................

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.r
I think I am eventually going to go with one of those (expensive) aluminum trailers that were talked about on the forum a few months ago. I don't want to have to buy a new tow vehicle. I have very low mileage 2002 Pathfinder with 240bhp/265lb-ft. which is rated at 5000lbs. I figure with one of those light weight trailers and the required electric braking system on the trailer I should be OK.
That's similar to the setup I have. My tow vehicle is an Xterra. Comparable power, same tow rating, and your Pathfinder is probably bigger (more stable). I use a Trailex trailer, which weights about 900 lbs. So I'm towing a total of 2800 lbs. It has been working great, it easily tows at 80+ mph, even when it's somewhat hilly. Not sure if it would run out of steam in serious mountains. I average about 15 mpg towing. My Xterra has a manual transmission. I don't know if an automatic works equally well.

When you buy a trailer, make sure that it has the axles positioned so that you get the proper weight distribution with the Elise. You'll want the axles to be placed farther back than usual. Most trailers are set up for front-heavy cars.

BTW: When I researched trailers, it looked like Featherlite trailers weren't all that feather light. The numbers I saw indicated that they are significantly heavier than the Trailex.

Reto

2005 Lotus Elise (yellow, sport pack), #94 SS
2005 Nissan Xterra (LSV)
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeFusion
BTW: When I researched trailers, it looked like Featherlite trailers weren't all that feather light. The numbers I saw indicated that they are significantly heavier than the Trailex.
Trailex trailers are great. I would have gotten one but for the shipping cost (around $1900 to LA) -- I didn't feel like driving to Ohio (I believe that's where they are located) to pick one up. They are, in deed, lighter (and shorter by about four feet) than the Featherlite all aluminum model; but at approx. 1200 pounds, the Featherlite is much lighter than the typical 18' steel open trailer which weighs in at close to 2000 pounds.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:25 AM

Correct, Trailex is located in Ohio. They do have dealers, though. The dealer listing on their web site does not look like it's very well maintained, but you could always call them. I got mine through a dealer who is also located in Ohio, but was a few hundered miles closer to me.

If you tow with a serious truck, a couple hundred pounds will not make a difference. I wanted a fairly compact tow vehicle because I also use it as a daily driver.

The only downside of all these aluminum trailers is that they are expensive. They are very nice, and last a long time. I have seen aluminum trailers that have been used for 20 years, and they still look good.

Reto

2005 Lotus Elise (yellow, sport pack), #94 SS
2005 Nissan Xterra (LSV)
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:25 AM

Check out the Trailex monthly special

http://www.trailex.com/specials.cfm

Providing an opportunity for others to live vicariously through me since 2004
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

I'm thinking about waiting for the new ML350 Benz. I hear the new diesel version available in October will have 375 ft/lbs of torque!!! Opposed to the 258 it has now all in a V-6. Will tow up to 5k lbs. which should be plenty for towing the go kart around and even the 993.
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricko
Did your trailer come with the air dam?

I does look nice
Air dam!?!?! How about a rock gard. I would not consider a trailer that does not keep the stones off of the car.

2-Eleven - On Order
New Phantom Black Exige Sold!
Original Phantom Black Exige lost in flood
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:45 AM

I have had 2 Trailex trailers. The open one I had I towed with an Aerostar...a Honda Odyssey and finally a Suburban. I then sold that for $300 less than I paid for it 10 years earlier..(they hold their value) and I bought one of their enclosed models. Weighed only 1900 lbs...and I could tow it with my Surburban..no trouble.

With the Elise...my Seven...or a Porsche I used to tow for a friend.. It was more dependant on speed as to what MPG I got. 13MPG at 74mph...12MPG at 75-80mph and 10mpg at 90 and above.

I have trailered at all those speeds extensivly. I have since sold the Trailex right after I bought the Elise. The Elise is so reliable and as it is the only Lotus I have right now...I felt I did not need it and I sold it and bought a MINI S.

Trailex is really the best out there. I would not buy anything else...ever.

Attached Images

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.

Last edited by tvacc; 08-14-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in