Toy hauler for Elise? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Toy hauler for Elise?

Does anyone know if an Elise will fit or can be hauled due to weight in a toy hauler? Someone should have researched this already so I would appreciate any data. Thanks!

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
Does anyone know if an Elise will fit or can be hauled due to weight in a toy hauler? Someone should have researched this already so I would appreciate any data. Thanks!
That's not as easy to answer as a Yes or No. There are many factors at play and you're ultimately going to have to research each individual model's capacity and restrictions/limits. Some of the things you'll have to consider are obviously the toy hauler's garage length, axle rating, total trailer weight limiting rating (max trailer weight including payload), etc. However, considering how low the Elise is and how steep toy hauler ramps can be, you might actually be limited by the approach incline on the ramp.

Only the biggest toy haulers will handle an Elise if at all (you'll have to research). Sorry, I couldn't be more specific.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 02:13 PM

I've looked into a few toy haulers that will accommodate an elise/exige from a cargo area size perspective. First on my list is the Forest River, Work and Play. I haven't actually tried to load the car into one yet. Because toy haulers are designed primarily for motorcycles and ATVs, the loading ramps have steeper angles than what we normally need for cars. I have concerns that the approach, departure, and breakover angles will be an issue without some type of ramp modification.

Jason

06' Fed Elise

My frame, rear subframe, steering rack, A-arms, front crash structure, suspension uprights, and fuel tank are stock.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Abe

My brother has one for sell here...looks like it's big enough for the Elise...

2008 Carson Toy Hauler

I can get you a good price for it if you're interested.

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 11:32 PM

I'm doing the same with an old M35 2.5 ton truck that has a com unit on the back. It's like 8ft widex14ft long I believe. Gonna pull one of the rear axles, throw on some 53" tires and make some LONG ramps
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Puff Daddy

I just did a search on Google for small car in a toy hauler and this thread came up... I guess us Lotus guys tend to think alike

I have a constraint that my tow vehicle is only rated to pull 6500 lbs. A toy hauler + my Exige will probably be pretty close to that limit.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 PM

I've been doing some research on this as well and I've found the perfect solution. Only problem is the Class A Motorhome is for sale in Europe and would have to be imported! It's made by Volkner and comes in a couple models depending on what you need.

ATV Trailer Toy Hauler RV By Volkner

Oh, and you didn't mention any kind of budget constraints? I've looked at a lot of Toy Haulers online and most have a max depth of 12' which is just shy of what's needed for most Lotus cars. I'm hoping American manufactures will adopt the Euro design to haul the car between the axels so you can have a hitch in the back for a small boat, trailer, etc. And of course the price needs to come down for the average consumer but if you have deep pockets the link above seems pretty cool!

Chief

Current Rides:
2008 Lotus Elise, BOE Rev300 Supercharger, ACT HDSS performance clutch, + host of other upgrades,
Summer Ride
2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder, Daily Driver
2008 GMC Sierra 5.3L, 515HP Supercharged Sleeper
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 PM

Well that sucks. I've had more than that just in the BED of my truck, nevermind the trailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
I have a constraint that my tow vehicle is only rated to pull 6500 lbs.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 05:09 AM

Weight wise I think you would be pushing it for a trailer. Never been a trailer user always used RV's & for RV's I would think 2000# + back there would probably be to much for the chassis to take. Plus like stated most are designed for bikes/atv's thus about 12ft in length back there for storage.

I would think you would be better off just getting a RV & a enclosed trailer. Pretty much any RV could pull it, class A or class C.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 AM

The better toy haulers will handle it fine. Some of my friends toy Jeeps/buggies in them and they are in the 3-4000lb area.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 AM

Ooops... I meant RV toy hauler not trailer toy hauler
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 03:56 PM

I've been going around and around on this very subject, and I finally found something that works - 28' Carson Fun Runner, bought it used at a local RV dealership. MOST of the toyhauler "garage" spaces I found were in the 11.x-12.5' range (I found none big enough with a wall separating garage from living quarters, at least in a size I was even remotely interested in).

This one's "garage" area - from back door to the cabinet on the left - is about 14'. The car fits comfortably - maybe 6" to the back door, a foot or so from the front bumper to the cabinet.

It is a hassle to load; the deck is pretty high. I have to put the rear wheels of the truck on ramps, and the door/ramp sits on wooden ramps made out of 2x10s. The clam ALMOST drags before the front wheels get on the ramp, and the first time it went into the trailer, the car bottomed out right at the jacking point/middle of the car (the two rivets dragged). That was before I had the truck on ramps - once the truck was on ramps, it went out/in without issue or drama.

Car is stock height. In the pictures, yes, I know that the right side strap is too small, yes, I know that the car is offset to the right, it was a "mock" load.

Once strapped in (even with straps I'd not actually use), neutral/parking brake on/rubber chocks behind rear/in front of front wheels, the car does NOT move. Pretty happy with it.

GVWR for the trailer is 12k# or so, it weighs ~6200 empty, fresh water tank is currently full, so it is about 7000# right now - add the car, it is OK. Tows fine. Still plenty of room in the "kitchen."

It took me a while to find it, plan on using the trailer for snowmobiles/skiing in the winter, but finally, I have ONE trailer for both stupid hobbies.

Iain

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Mostly all would accommodate an Elise as far as weight. They can fit 2-3 ATVs no trouble and some of those are 700 plus lbs.

Size though, you'd have to really measure it out for sure.

As far as loading, just crank the trailer jack all the way up to get the back of the trailer low. That is how I load mine and it doesn't come close to rubbing anything.

mannix I never did like tieing down like that. It seems to put quite a bit of stress on the rod ends.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:22 PM

Yeah, I tried the tongue jack - did not get close for me. I could probably get it with the tongue, but it is FAR less work to drive the truck onto the ramps for me; manual jack, and it needs to come up several inches.

My previous racecar was a WHOLE lot lower than the Elise, the approach/departure angle was less of an issue, but ramp-to-deck angle had to be almost flat. The Elise is easy by comparison; when I got it "right" with the old car, there was *maybe* 1/4" clearance.

Weightwise, yeah, no problem - Carson, at least, intended this thing to haul Jeeps or sandrails or atvs or or or a bunch of things that weigh more than an Elise.

Glad I figured it out, using it for the first time this weekend, should be entertaining!

Iain
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannix View Post
I've been going around and around on this very subject, and I finally found something that works - 28' Carson Fun Runner, bought it used at a local RV dealership. MOST of the toyhauler "garage" spaces I found were in the 11.x-12.5' range (I found none big enough with a wall separating garage from living quarters, at least in a size I was even remotely interested in).

This one's "garage" area - from back door to the cabinet on the left - is about 14'. The car fits comfortably - maybe 6" to the back door, a foot or so from the front bumper to the cabinet.

It is a hassle to load; the deck is pretty high. I have to put the rear wheels of the truck on ramps, and the door/ramp sits on wooden ramps made out of 2x10s. The clam ALMOST drags before the front wheels get on the ramp, and the first time it went into the trailer, the car bottomed out right at the jacking point/middle of the car (the two rivets dragged). That was before I had the truck on ramps - once the truck was on ramps, it went out/in without issue or drama.

Car is stock height. In the pictures, yes, I know that the right side strap is too small, yes, I know that the car is offset to the right, it was a "mock" load.

Once strapped in (even with straps I'd not actually use), neutral/parking brake on/rubber chocks behind rear/in front of front wheels, the car does NOT move. Pretty happy with it.

GVWR for the trailer is 12k# or so, it weighs ~6200 empty, fresh water tank is currently full, so it is about 7000# right now - add the car, it is OK. Tows fine. Still plenty of room in the "kitchen."

It took me a while to find it, plan on using the trailer for snowmobiles/skiing in the winter, but finally, I have ONE trailer for both stupid hobbies.

Iain

More pics!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

DIY 2007 Exige S K20A2 C38 Rotrex

Www.onetonracing.com
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 PM

Wildo. Will get some this weekend. The only other one I took is useless; it is a "bigfoot" picture - if you squint, you can see the silhouette of an Elise peering out from the door.

Iain
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:34 PM

I have a manual jack on my trailer as well. It's got probably 2ft from all the way up to all the way down. It goes down far enough that the front tires of the trailer are off the ground a few inches.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 PM

Huh. I wonder if gearing is different or your trailer is lighter than mine - making mine move 6-8" takes some BIG muscle. It is FAR easier and faster to chuck the ramps out. I'm not a small or weak guy, either. Shrug, who knows - I agree, the jack SHOULD work, and mine likely WOULD, but I feel like I'm pulling a barge's anchor up by hand.

Iain
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 PM

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Ticket Magnet

Hey Guys. Living in between tracks areas (Northern & Central Calif. and Portland), I think I really need a hauler if I am going to feel comfortable at track days and the like. Kind of like using your last $100 for an entry fee while your pregnant wife looks on. If you break down, you have problems worse than just fixing the car. And I want to be able to be comfortable for a weekend at the track.

My location makes driving around to look at various toy haulers that an Elise MIGHT fit into it a long-distance proposition. Not to mention when you show up with one to see if it fits, the negotiations take an ugly turn. So I need reliable info on toy haulers that not only FIT an Elise but also are rated to SUPPORT one. Pictures are a plus. I got the Carson 28' (thanks Exiged) and they look fine for what I have in mind, Does anyone actually use anything else that works?
Appreciate your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in